I know this is a n00b question...

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

I know this is a n00b question...

Postby Nia-chan » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:48 pm

But what exactly is Photoshop, why does everyone like it, and why does it cost $600?
Don't make me hit you with my pocketbook :angel:
Nia-chan

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:04 pm

Photoshop is a rockin' imaging program. I like it cuz it's really powerful. I don't know why it's so expensive. ^_^;
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:09 pm

It's expensive because you're paying for the use of the filters and features to sell for money. You're paying for the right to use their stuff to make money.

There is a cheaper version for educational use that doesn't give you the right to sell anything (by that I mean selling stuff you made with it, such as callendars or book covers or doctored photos or millions of other things... Anything you do wiht it that's part of a product that is sold)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby RefractedAhav » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:06 am

If you don't like the price of photoshop you could try the GIMP. It's free, open source, and it can do a lot of the same stuff photoshop can. It runs on varius systems including mac OS, windows, and linux.

you can download it from here: http://www.gimp.org

Adopted by: 1BalloonPopper

(\_/) [color=royalblue]"We are the Bunnie [/color]

(O.o) Resistance Is Futile.

(> <) You Will Be Assimilated"-Elowen

Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig Help Him Achieve World Domination...

AKA: Jowan, John, Iwan, any male form of "John" exept Johny or any spelling of Johny (Jonathan is actualy an entirly diferrnt name, so no that does not work)

FKA: Elowen

http://users.ev1.net/%7Ebretm/ashley/tairis%20sig%203.gif
RefractedAhav

Location: Some where in Oz or is it in the woods between worlds, I'm not so shure any more. Any one have an in

Postby Lightbringer » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:43 am

I think the real reason the sell it for so much is because their greedy....... but what corporation isn't

*edit* forgot to add, you dont need to worry about someone bothering you about the so called "n00bness" first time i find someone hazeing someone or being a punk i'll ban them with a vengence :thumb: but again, you've seen CAA is a pretty friendly place right?

Lightbringer // Aaron
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Join up! Darklight-The Chronicles of Tairis epic RPG
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=5233
Lightbringer

Postby JediSonic » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:42 pm

Oh how I wish I had a fast computer so that I could download and make good use of GIMP 2.0 because its probably lots better than gimp 1.0 which is what Ive got but I hate it cuz it takes forever 2 load and the second one would be even worse and its hard as heck to find the files you wanna get to quickly enough because it obviously wasnt built around windows [only] which means its not very efficient for that kinda thing but I cant live without gimp because its the only good program out there besides photoshop which costs hundreds of dollars more than my life savings which sucks oh my gosh blahblahblah...
JediSonic

about image editing software...

Postby Daiko-chan » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:51 am

to Nia-chan: instead of using Photoshop or GIMP, I suggest that you try out [~Open Canvas~] it is almost exactly like Photoshop, but MUCH cheaper- you can even get the trial version of OC for free!!

You will find it by looking around this lovely place:

(this is the happy link)[~Portal Graphics.net~]

(yes, it is REALLY good~)

to Jedi Sonic: about GIMP running slow on your computer, it may not be about what version of the GIMP that you are running, you may lack enough RAM to handle heavy image editing work.

-if you'd like, you could get back to me on this~

and there you go (now, I should get back to the oekaki board, I prefer drawing to typing any day~ ^_^)
CAA-related:
[thread=11252][guidelines to CAA chat on deviantART][/thread] [daCAA]

Christian ministries:
[ApEX] [Boundless] [Focus on the Family] [Orthodoxy Today]

Daiko things:
[online shop] [some artwork at DA] [blog of a saint in training]

:thumb: GOOD totally FREE art programs:
[Art Rage] -emulates traditional media
[Pixia] -this is for digital art and photo editing...

I don't think I will ever post my own autobiographical story in the CAA's Who's Who or in the Welcome Area because as a forumite I was raised so that I should never do such a thing- I am open to change though...
Daiko-chan

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:37 pm

Bobtheduck wrote:It's expensive because you're paying for the use of the filters and features to sell for money. You're paying for the right to use their stuff to make money.

There is a cheaper version for educational use that doesn't give you the right to sell anything (by that I mean selling stuff you made with it, such as callendars or book covers or doctored photos or millions of other things... Anything you do wiht it that's part of a product that is sold)

and how do you get the educational version?
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby AZheng » Sun May 02, 2004 11:49 am

http://www.academicsuperstore.com sells it for $280 full version, as well as almost every other conceivable type of non-game-related software. You'll need some type of proof in order to order, though, so prepared to get a transcript or something ready.
AZheng

Postby Kireihana » Fri May 14, 2004 9:08 pm

I would also suggest Paint Shop Pro, which runs for about $75-$80 but I got my Paint Shop Pro 7 off ebay for only $40. I think the current version out is 8, though. PSP does most of the things Photoshop does, but it doesn't have as many filters and can't use the pressure-sensitivity on tablets (those are like electronic drawing pads). Or at least version 8 can't; I don't know much about PSP8.

I've heard a lot of good stuff about Open Canvas (as Daiko-chan mentioned) and Corel Painter too. I've never used 'em, though.
Kireihana

Return to Tutorials