Help me!

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Help me!

Postby Gamer4Life » Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:02 pm

I got GIMP but its to complex for me...i need something less adv. can some one help me with this? oh and it needs to be free.
A Christain Gamer 4 LIFE!!!!! :thumb:
Gamer4Life

Postby LorentzForce » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:18 pm

GIMP is the only thing free as far as I can say, unless you're talking about MS Paint or something, or one of shareware programs. But if you're seriously into making images for a long time, then I wouldn't recommend shareware.

Well, it's your job now to read tutorials and ask question on how to use it. Not everyone gets the program on the first run (even I needed a book at the start) so read that manual, or grab a book about it.
LorentzForce

Postby Gamer4Life » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:54 pm

Ok... :( well i took GIMP off b/c it was to hard to figure out. :/ oh well i'll find something out.
Gamer4Life

Postby madphilb » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:46 pm

GIMP is worth the effort, and frankly it's not much more difficult than any of the other main paint programs. There are some other paint programs out there for free, but most are around the same abilities as Paint (if not less).

Check you local libraries and see if they have any books on the GIMP (I was surprised to find several in just one of my local libraries).

Got something specific you need to know, you can PM me, I might be able to give you some pointers.

Yahoo has a few groups that are pretty good for GIMP users (or where, I've not been active in them in a long time).
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby Gamer4Life » Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:15 pm

Thanks but what books will i search for??
Gamer4Life

Postby Omega Amen » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:14 pm

Hey, I am also a GIMP newbie.

If you follow this link in The GIMP's website, they have some books you can search for. Two of these books (if you follow their links), "Grokking the GIMP" and "Gimp - The Official Handbook," have web versions of their books that you can browse and read for free.

Also, The GIMP just released its new version 2.0 recently so those books might be slightly out-of-date. However, I think they are definitely good enough for you to get a good grip on the tool.

They also have the GIMP Users Group where you can check out some tutorials on a few cool effects.

Hope that helps.... Hey, I am learning The GIMP too.
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby madphilb » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:45 pm

If your library has a computer card catalog, try searching for the term GIMP (and maybe paint).... that or you could try finding books on Paintshop or PhotoShop and looking in the same section for GIMP related books.

Several major companies have books out (I may try to find the web access to my local library catalog and see if I can pull some names out).... you could try running GIMP through Amazon and see what comes up there too.

Once you've got a handle on the basics of how the program works (the multiple windows is the hardest thing to grasp I think), then you can start looking at tutorials for Paintshop and Photoshop and using the techniques with GIMP. I've done that a few times as well.
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:39 pm

Why not have a look at Pixia? I've tried it and it seems simple and easy enough to use, yet fairly powerful. Free too. ^_^

http://park18.wakwak.com/~pixia/
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby Straylight » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:21 am

GIMP works in a very similar way to photoshop, which takes a long time to learn... it's definately worth it though.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Return to Tutorials