Android KitKat

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Android KitKat

Postby Sheenar » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:52 am

So, I just got my first smart phone. I have finally gotten with the times, I guess. :P

It's an LG Tribute with Android KitKat. I am experiencing quite a learning curve figuring things out. I've found where the browser is, where the phone dialer is, how to check minutes/data, and how to bring up the list of apps.

Does anyone have any tips on this operating system? This is very new to me (I'm coming from a cheap plastic talk-and-text type Kyocera phone).

Any really helpful apps you recommend? I have some accessibility/disability-related apps bookmarked on my laptop that I've researched.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Re: Android KitKat

Postby Xeno » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:33 pm

Android is a weird beast in that it's different based on the manufacturer. I'd recommend using various Google Services to replace LG's ones. So use Chrome as your browser, Gmail for email accounts, Messenger for text messages. On my phone I run the Google Now launcher so the phone has a much simpler design and access to the Google Now search features. Outside of that find some apps for things you like to do such as Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, VOD services (like TCM, HBO-GO), and just use it. The best smartphone is one you don't have to ever really think about.

Google Now Launcher
Facebook (This app will devour your battery, so it might be best to just visit FB in the browser)
Twitter
Chrome Browser
Google Messenger or Google Hangouts

If you sign into the Play Store with your same Google credentials as your phone you can install apps directly from your computer.
Xeno

Postby Sheenar » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:52 am

Thank you for your help, Xeno. :)

I'm currently trying to figure out how to move apps, photos, etc. from the phone's memory to the micro SD card. There are so many settings and things.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Xeno » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:04 am

I'd recommend against moving apps to SD. It causes fragmentation in the OS and increases load time. As far as moving other content goes, you can move files but depending on your device you may not be able to set it to save directly to SD.

Photos and videos can also auto backup to your google account if you turn it on.
Xeno

Return to Tutorials