Game Programming?

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Game Programming?

Postby Sederiku » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:56 pm

I need help starting game programming in multiple way's... If anyone could help that would be great!

What I need:

Good instructions on where I can study the C# language.

Instructions on whether I should start learning game programming immediately or if I should start with the basic language first.

A couple good game programming tutorials online for C# or other simple languages.

A rookie/newbie/experience team that would like to work with a beginner programmer over Skype or other services like that. Mainly things like other coders, musicians, artist... We'd be starting a team so there would be no pay at first, it would basically be trying to work together to hone our skills and maybe one day writing a indie game together :3

So if anybody could help me with any of the above or even things I might not know about that would be amazing! Also before anybody say's anything... I understand how difficult programming is, I've tried to find my way in for the past couple years. But I won't give up! I must persevere because programming is my passion, I love the code and watching all my hard work come to life. If it takes me years to get it done then by gosh let the years pass by! So please... Help me out people :3
Sederiku

Re: Game Programming?

Postby skreyola » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:11 pm

I don't know C#, though I have done some coding with C++, so I'm not sure how much help I could be.
For game programming, the usual track is to start small, and work your way up to more and more complicated programs. That is, writing a tic-tac-toe game before you write a tetris clone, and so on until you get to the complexity of the program you're itching to build.
Don't just focus on your own projects. Look around Github or similar sites for some projects seeking help, and try to help others with their projects. You'll learn a lot about programming, working with others, and community relations. You'll also expand the network of programmers you know.
I wish you well in every worthy endeavor.
skreyola

Postby Sederiku » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:59 pm

Thanks a lot, that's actually a ton of help for a newbie like me! Thanks for the encouragement too~
Sederiku

Postby Cap'n Nick » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:18 pm

I recently started getting into game development in C# myself. Are you using Unity? Lots of fun, that one. I happened to pick up a textbook that took me through the basics pretty well. Unity 3.x Game Development Essentials.

Looking forward to hearing how you do with your programming!
Cap'n Nick

Postby Sederiku » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:25 pm

Well an update is simply that I'm actually having tons of fun! I code in basic C# using visual express C# 2010 though xD I've heard of unity and checked it out before but for some reason I enjoy the basics a lot :3 If you ever want someone to team up with though who's also a beginner then send me a PM and we can try to get in contact o: (Like Skype or something like that...) It'll be cool to work with a fellow Christian game programmer :3
Sederiku

Postby Warrior4Christ » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:56 am

Visual Studio 2012 Express is out now, if you didn't already realise. I know at least C++ has some worthwhile things in the new version, so I'd recommend using the latest.
http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/downloads

I haven't done C#, but I've done C++ and Java, which C# is kind of a combination of...
I don't know if I have too much free time in the coming months though..
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Sederiku » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:06 pm

Aw, well thanks for the info, I'll switch up if I can find some books or tutorials on it~
Sederiku

Postby skreyola » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:50 pm

IDEs are fine for what they do, but if you use one, be sure to double-check that your code compiles and runs as expected when using a generic compiler, especially if you want to work with a group of people, who may not all be using your preferred IDE. Some IDEs just wrap the standard gcc or whatever, but others include their own version of the compiler, which may or may not produce code that behaves as expected for other people.
I'm not saying you shouldn't use an IDE, but just keep in mind that, as with everything else that makes something easier, YMMV.
Happy coding. May all your bugs be easily identified and easily squashed. :)
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Warrior4Christ » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:40 am

Running your code through multiple compilers is a good principle in general (Scott Meyers mentions this as a tip in his Effective C++ book). It helps your code not be locked into the quirks of your particular compiler, so that it's more portable. Eg. recommended C++ ones would be Clang, GCC, and MSVC.
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby IPv4 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:08 am

c or c++ and SDL and/or OpenGL (OpenGL is good for image rotation unlike SDL). DONT FORGET TO USE SDL2 AND NOT SDL1. http://lazyfoo.net/tutorials/SDL/
IPv4

Return to Tutorials