Video Game Creation?

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Video Game Creation?

Postby raider~joseph » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:54 pm

I want a good FREE rpg maker for my netbook. Can anyone help me?
The orbital friendship cannon is gone. But its LEGACY LIVES ON IN US!
FOR PONY, FOR STUFF, FOR LUNA!

"I can has roleplaying!"
raider~joseph

Postby SilverToast » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:02 am

I might be able to help. Is your netbook running windows, a linux distro, or mac os x?
SilverToast

Postby raider~joseph » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:57 pm

windows 7. I have no expeirence with coding but I want to learn so lay it on me.
The orbital friendship cannon is gone. But its LEGACY LIVES ON IN US!
FOR PONY, FOR STUFF, FOR LUNA!

"I can has roleplaying!"
raider~joseph

Postby SilverToast » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:44 pm

oh I would recommend Open RPG Maker, RPG Toolkit, or Game Maker 1.01.

Open RPG Maker is simple and much like the RPG Maker series by Enterbrain. It uses a nice database that lets you choose events you want to happen like fighting, characters talking, and other cool things. You can make some of the resources(character sprites, enemies, battle system, etc.) as well. Although you need to find or make much of the character sprites, enemies, tilesets, etc. because it is a recent beta and comes with little resources.

RPG Toolkit is harder to learn to use, but it does have allow for a lot of customization for character sprites, tilesets, backgrounds, items, battle system, and all that good stuff.
It uses RPG Code to set up events like fighting, npc's talking, and other things which means you have to learn it and code for events to happen. It is a lot like C++ and Java but also simple for others with no programming experience or knowledge. There are a lot of tutorials for this since it has been around for almost a decade.

Game Maker 1.01 seems promising and has a lot of choices for its event database. I haven't really tried it yet. It also lets you make other games that aren't RPG's. I don't think you need to know very much about coding for this one.

I would recommend playing with a trial version of RPG Maker XP by Enterbrain to get an idea of how the rpg makers work for Game Maker, Open RPG Maker, and RPG Tool Kit. They have a similar setup of how to set up the rpg games, but differ in how they do it.

Sorry for the long post. I was excited.

Edit
These rpg makers use 2D graphics and rpg game system much like the the older final fantasies and super nintendo Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. I don't know of any 3D RPG Makers.
SilverToast

Video Game Creation reply of sorts

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:57 pm

Acewing seemed to have your question covered, so I'll expand on game making options beyond the parameters you set.

Since you said netbook, I'm guessing Unreal Devkit isn't gonna be in your options. I'm sure you could do a 3d RPG with Unreal Engine. It's free, and legal, as long as you don't try to sell anything (you have to pay something along the lines of 75,000 dollars, I believe, for a license to sell), but... You know, it's a professional game engine, so it's not exactly EASY to make stuff with it.

If you're Flexible on the free part, RPG Maker XP, VX, and VX Ace are all out there, and there's plenty of good stuff on... XP, anyhow. I mean, it generally takes a couple years for the good stuff to hit. I'm sure we'll see some good VX stuff soon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Return to Tutorials