Artist's block

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Artist's block

Postby aliveinHim » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:24 am

So, I had been busy this summer and didn't do a lot of drawing like I normally do. Sadly, this has resulted in a massive artist's block and I feel like I can't draw anymore. Any help to overcome it?
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby Rusty Claymore » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:11 pm

Try woodblock painting?

Lil' sis says she listens to music and/or watches things to spur her imagination, or just start by drawing things she really likes to draw, like dragons.

She also said, "Suck it up, cupcake," but she didn't know I was getting advice for you.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby metolosophy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:14 am

I sometimes do requests for people to keep me busy- just to keep me drawing. Usually along the way, I get inspired for something new. ^L^ My cousin says to watch a movie or TV show you haven't seen before, and that can get you thinking and inspired.
Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise.
Better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

metolosophy

Postby MrKrillz0r » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:57 am

The only tip I have for you is sadly: Just draw!

This is what I've heard is the solution, from a lot of very experienced artists. If you really cannot get something done from your imagination, just do some studies of some sort, maybe anatomy, light/shadows, faces, hands, whatever!

Although thinking about it I do have another tip which might be more in favor, and that is to think of it as something you do for Jesus! To sharpen your skill and creativity to become so good that you can inspire a lot of persons is a great thing. This helps me draw sometimes when I really don't feel like it! :)
Game on!
MrKrillz0r

Postby Abassi » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:31 pm

Having dealt with this issue many times in my life (and still currently having to deal with it on and off) I would agree with what others said and say, "just draw!"

But I realize sometimes that advice feels pretty obvious, and unhelpful, so here are four things you could try:

1) [if you enjoy playing video games and writing] : Find a video game you can play which lends itself to keeping an in-character diary. Play the game for a limited period each day and write in the diary daily as well. As you write also illustrate WHAT you're writing about. Draw things you see in the game, never use screenshots just draw with the game running (unless the game is of the kind very much not conducive to this). This is a difficult but highly useful project, I'm working on my own currently using the Elder Scrolls game Morrowind.

2) Get yourself a Reader's Digest, not the magazines but the book kind that contain several short or abridged stories. Go through the pages seven at a time each week. Scan each page for a word, phrase, or sentence that catches your interest and underline it. After you do this go through the pages again and put a layer of gesso over all of the page EXCEPT the words you underlined. Once it's all dry (and this does take a little time - hairdryer makes it go faster but be careful) go back and illustrate in some manner (abstract, concrete, however you like) the words that you left on the page.

In Illustration II in college we did this project and it's a very good way to improve your skills as well as providing you with a springboard for your imagination.

3: Take a book and read it ten or twenty pages at a time, then stop and try to illustrate (NOT in the book like with the Reader's Digest, on some other surface) a major scene or event that occurred within those pages. While this is similar to the Digest project it differs in that your illustrations are restricted to relating directly to the actual content of the book. In the Digest you may illustrate things however you like, they need have nothing to do with the stories the words come from (in fact it's better if they don't).

4: Finally, if your desperate to avoid the rigorous structure of the above three (because they have the best results when done in a consistent day by day fashion), find music or film or novel that inspires you, and work from there. If music is your thing I recommend using Pandora radio, it's free and you can basically create a station that is limited to only the most inspiring kinds of music. I use it when working. If stories inspire you to art, try your library for audio books (because you can draw while listening and I personally find that helpful) or a site called Relic Radio (old radio dramas of many genres are there, free. You can also access it through iTunes).

I hope you find some of that helpful. I understand how frustrating it is when it seems like you just can't draw, I do hope you get over that quickly.
[color="SeaGreen"]E-aro Rejkhia lekjyr...[/color]
Abassi

Postby aliveinHim » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:25 pm

Thanks everyone! I started drawing again but I looked at my past work and wondered how I digressed so far from not drawing anything epic in 2 months. Typically, I draw lots of photorealism with tons of detail but I can now barely shade a face to make it look real. Bwegh. Practice does make perfect though ^^.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby SierraLea » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:22 pm

I recently had the same problem with writing poetry. My advice, don't try, just do. Get in the groove, as my teacher would say.
"I tell you, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:37-40).
Exceptionally Ordinary
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else." P.T.Barnam
SierraLea

Postby ST. Attidude » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:20 pm

Art is purely subjective. Ergo, the easiest way to get back on the groove is probably to just draw what you feel. As risque as it might sound, once you do so, its much quicker to get back in the habit of drawing what was dancing around in your head for some time. Don't worry about how it looks or what other people might think. You can even approach it completely like a journal. Try different mediums as well - you'll be surprised what might turn up.
[color="Magenta"]@[/color][color="Red"])}[/color][color="DarkGreen"]~[/color][color="Green"]`,[/color][color="Lime"]~[/color] [color="LightBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, [color="Red"]As Thanks,[/color] [color="LightBlue"]To All The CAA Moderators[/color][/color]
______
[color="Navy"]ST[/color][color="Blue"].[/color][color="RoyalBlue"] Attidude's[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"].[/color][color="LightBlue"].[/color].Portfolio Site, Twitter,
DeviantArt page
ST. Attidude

Postby Tigerchu » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:58 pm

It might just be time to take a break.
Have faith
-From somewhere in the Bible, and I agree with it

-God will only give you what you can take. He will not overwhelm you.
-From somewhere in the Bible

-Your faith becomes stronger when it's tested.
-I saw a Chinese guy with a cross on his restaurant desk in America. That's so cool. You can do that here. Not so much China.

I've recently been learning that I don't need to be "loud and pushy" to Evangelize; just living it out is enough witness. The problem was that I grew up around strong Evangelists (Korean Christians) and they were really into getting people involved and setting out to Evangelize, and me being a a yes-man (or yes woman) I was into trying to convert people.
I've been learning this lesson over the years, but have been trying to be pushy. Now I'm trying to ease off.
Tigerchu

Postby Woogie » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Look through tutorials, sadly the only thing that has really helped me is to just start drawing randomly :L Draw what you see or something you are interested in, look through tutorials and try stuff out
Woogie

Postby Michael Lance » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:50 pm

I'll tell you what NOT to do: don't watch/read any anime/manga while you're working through it. To me, watching anime and reading manga only gets me down further in the dumps (especially Bleach), because I look at it and think, "wow! That's fantastic! That's amazing!" And then I look at my own work, and I think, "why can't I draw like that?" And instead of being inspired, I just get depressed. Anyways, maybe it's different for you - maybe anime and/or manga DO inspire you to create new ideas. But my advice is: if you haven't tried it before, don't try it now. It'll just drag out the block even further.
M-I-C-H-A-E-L

spell it right, or don't spell it at all.

@)}~`,~

Thank you, for all you do for us.

that awkward moment when you go to see who's online, and someone else is already looking at the members list...
Michael Lance

Postby Tigerchu » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:29 pm

Music inspires me:) I think.
Have faith
-From somewhere in the Bible, and I agree with it

-God will only give you what you can take. He will not overwhelm you.
-From somewhere in the Bible

-Your faith becomes stronger when it's tested.
-I saw a Chinese guy with a cross on his restaurant desk in America. That's so cool. You can do that here. Not so much China.

I've recently been learning that I don't need to be "loud and pushy" to Evangelize; just living it out is enough witness. The problem was that I grew up around strong Evangelists (Korean Christians) and they were really into getting people involved and setting out to Evangelize, and me being a a yes-man (or yes woman) I was into trying to convert people.
I've been learning this lesson over the years, but have been trying to be pushy. Now I'm trying to ease off.
Tigerchu

Postby Ella Edric » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:48 pm

Echoing the others, Music. And what helps me as well is this quote: "To live a creative life you must let go of the fear of being wrong." Basically, if you mess up, or think you mess up just keep going until you finish. Art isn't perfect so keep drawing. :) I've been in your rut many times before, it will pass!
Ella Edric

Return to Tutorials