Basic

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Basic

Postby Knives » Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:57 am

Does anyone here wanna give me a tutorial on basic?
Knives

Postby btboy500 » Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:13 pm

If by basic, you mean the programming language BASIC, I wouldn't be able to help you. Personally, I think a good beginning language would be Python, but that's my opinion. This goes along with my belief that BASIC is fairly antiquated. By the way, BASIC stands for Beginner's All-Purpose Symbolic Instruction Code. You can find information about the programming language Python at http://www.python.org . Enjoy.
btboy500

Postby madphilb » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:24 pm

I'd be curious as to which BASIC as well.... the original versions that where used for years where a mess of spagetti code with all those line numbers and GOTOs.... shudder....

The old DOS Quick and Power BASICs where a bit better as you could treat them as more structured languages...

Most of the newer BASICs are the Visual kind and are quite a bit different than when things started...

Unless you have a specific need to program BASIC I'd go with one of the scripting languages or get a free C or C++ compiler (there are a few around, even ones for Windows).
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby Knives » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:23 am

madphilb wrote:I'd be curious as to which BASIC as well.... the original versions that where used for years where a mess of spagetti code with all those line numbers and GOTOs.... shudder....

The old DOS Quick and Power BASICs where a bit better as you could treat them as more structured languages...

Most of the newer BASICs are the Visual kind and are quite a bit different than when things started...

Unless you have a specific need to program BASIC I'd go with one of the scripting languages or get a free C or C++ compiler (there are a few around, even ones for Windows).

Ok i guess i should learn C++
Knives

Postby madphilb » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:19 am

Knives wrote:Ok i guess i should learn C++

That was a pretty easy sell :lol:

It'll be far more usefull to you in the end... maybe I can dig out my old bookmark files and see if I have a link to one of those free compiler sites.

Here is a free C compiler for Windows... it might be a good place to start (along with a good book on learning C):

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32/

You may be able to find some on-line resources for learning C as well... try googling it (along with "free c compiler" if you want to look for another one).
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby MyrrhLynn » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:15 pm

Well I'm going to put in my $0.02 since I'm a computer science combo business major. My school is always bragging about the stupid awards we win (yeah sure *gag*), so whatever here are the languages they teach:

Visual Basic - no longer required to take but pretty easy to pick up yourself
Java - 3 semesters of the horror
Cobol - optional class
Lots and lots of database classes. They don't even teach C or C++ anymore.

Lots of other schools still teach C++ though, so just because my school has decided to basically only teach Java doesn't mean much.

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby andyroo » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:35 pm

Another good beginner's programming language is PASCAL. It focuses alot on good program structure. Python does that as well, but the structure is much cleaner in my opinion.

Here's a link for Free PASCAL: http://sourceforge.net/projects/freepascal/
If you are using windows downlaod the Win32 package.
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Postby skynes » Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:03 pm

If you're interested in game design - DarkBasic and BlitzBasic could help. I'll need to dig out the links for the site. They provide trials of the program and LOTS of tutorials on how to use them.

C++ and Java are similar they follow similar layouts and similar patterns - It's not the same language though.

If you learn one it's easier to learn the other (I've done both).

Visual Basic is GUI based - Graphical User Interface. It has buttons and pictures and text boxes n stuff. All you do is drag n drop

In Java or C++ you need to CODE the buttons, what they do where they go. More complex but gives you MUCH more control.
I am the Reaper of Souls... and it's harvest time.

skynes

Return to Tutorials