About to attempt my first PhotoShop colorization.

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

About to attempt my first PhotoShop colorization.

Postby RidleyofZebes » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:39 am

(I'm assuming that this thread belongs here instead of the art forum... please move if I guessed incorrectly, dear Mods.)

Hmm... I'm not even sure what kind of information I'd need to include to start out with.

It's a pencil sketch that I've cleaned up. Subject is male, average-to-tall height, nice close-up of a gun he has pointed in your face.

I know to scan it in, correct the levels... and that's about as far as I got before I hit uncharted territory.

Anyone here who has experience or helpful advice would be welcome if they wished. :)
~Ridley [color="Green"] ;)
[/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]deviantART[/color][/color][/font] | [font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]YouTube[/color][/color][/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~~~[color="Yellow"]AKA: DarkwaterhHealer~~~[/color]
Even when lurking, I am with you in spirit...

Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES.
RidleyofZebes

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:18 pm

One way is to take the cleaned drawing, drag it to the layers button to duplicate it and set the duplicate to multiply, then create a new blank layer between the original and the multiplied duplicate and color on the blank layer.

Optional additions include:

A white fill layer below the coloring layer to cover up the original drawing.
Using the pencil tool or selection tools to create a flats layer.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Chibi0saka » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:40 pm

However you decide to do it make sure you pay attention to your layers! I usually do outlines in one layer, skin tones in one layer, hair in one layer and so on. That makes it a TON easier to fix mistakes without having to redo whole sections because you need to fix your outline but if you erase it you erase a chunk of your character's arm that you colored and then you have to go fix that and so on and you go crazy and wonder why the heck you ever decided to use photoshop in the first place. *cough*. Anyways. And don't forget to use the eyedropper tool if you want to match colors. It makes it tons easier than guessing.

Also, if you use the magnetic lasso tool to select areas you want to color that makes it pretty easy too cause then you can fill or scribble with the paintbrush or whatever without worrying about going outside the area you want colored.

Other than that, just have fun. :)
[font="Verdana"][color="RoyalBlue"]NOTHING but the blood[/color][/font]
Chibi0saka

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:15 pm

That's what a flats layer does actually, it provides you with a layer that creates zones to color in (using selection tools) to protect the rest of a project.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Tsukuyomi » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:21 pm

*Takes notes* Ooh, I may try that ^^ I've tired coloring once, but didn't really go back to it xD
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby TheMewster » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:29 am

I don't even have or use, much less care for Photoshop. Too expensive and the money could better be spent on the Lord's Work, especially when there's a program called 'GIMP' that is totally free. :) God bless and good luck!
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby USSRGirl » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:19 pm

TheMewster (post: 1493665) wrote:I don't even have or use, much less care for Photoshop. Too expensive and the money could better be spent on the Lord's Work, especially when there's a program called 'GIMP' that is totally free. :) God bless and good luck!

Sooo... if you don't own photoshop, have never used photoshop, don't like photoshop, and have a moral conviction against buying photoshop... why on on earth are you posting in a thread about photoshop? I'm sure he's aware that gimp exists. A lot of people are pretty passionate about their art on here and like to invest in better quality programs.

Furthermore; this is the tutorial section. Not the theology forum. I don't see how this helps the original poster at all. Seems rather off topic to the question. :eh:
USSRGirl

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:07 pm

GIMP is not an industry standard and is severely limited in several ways. While I think that the Adobe products are rather prohibitively expensive, this is not the place for a discussion on that.

Secondly:

TD Rule #02
Absolutely no cross pollination will occur between the TD forum and the rest of the board. Any and all theological discussion MUST happen in this forum. Keep in mind the following:
2.a) Do not post a Theology thread in the general forum; we can move threads from TD if we have to.
2.b) Do not hijack a thread in the general forum and turn it into a theology discussion. If you want to explore an idea raised in a prior thread, spin it off as a new thread and link back to the original.
2.c) Where possible, do not link INTO a theology discussion from another thread. We're intentionally placing this forum into the Member's Only forum to cut back on the trolling. Consider PM'ing someone to invite them to an appropriate TD thread.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby RidleyofZebes » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:32 pm

Thank you all for the help! I had never thought of that before, and it seriously helped the process along! lol made it fun instead of tedious as I had thought it would be. ^_^ The drawing is coming along wonderfully! (except I kinda made him look a bit too much like Kamina. XD)

Hmm... If I now wanted to ask for color shading tips, and to show my progress thus far, would I need to make a different thread in the art forum, Mods? :)
~Ridley [color="Green"] ;)
[/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]deviantART[/color][/color][/font] | [font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]YouTube[/color][/color][/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~~~[color="Yellow"]AKA: DarkwaterhHealer~~~[/color]
Even when lurking, I am with you in spirit...

Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES.
RidleyofZebes

Return to Tutorials