Memorizing Bible Verses; Tips, anyone?

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Memorizing Bible Verses; Tips, anyone?

Postby Tamachan319 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:30 pm

At my school, in my Bible class, in a land far, far, far away....oh, wait. That's not it. All right, then, on with the real topic intro. I have to memorize a large amount of longish Bible verses (for example: 1 Peter 1:3-5) for my Bible class at school. I have a hard time remembering them, and I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas or "memorizing tools" that work well for them. By the way, I have to memorize them all in NASB (New American Standard Bible).
What I already use as "memorizing tools":
-writing them out multiple times and often with little random doodles to illustrate the point and get my mind to recognize it.
- cover up one line, then try to say that line from memory, then read the rest; cover up two lines, try to say them from memory, then read the rest; and so on, and so on, and so on, and so on, and so on, and so on...

The problem is that they don't always work that well. Anyone have any tips or ways that work for them?
[font="Comic Sans MS"]"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me."
-C. S. Lewis[/font]
"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."
According to EllaEdric, my real name is.... "TAMAMAMAMAAMMAAM".

[font="Courier New"]
I love my flute![/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tamachan319

Location: Someplace, somewhere. I'm specific about these things, you see.

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:39 pm

Record yourself reading them aloud. Listen to the recording ad nauseum and repeat aloud along with it.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nate » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:43 pm

I would tell the teacher that if I memorized Bible verses but had no love in reciting them I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal and therefore memorization only serves to drive us further from God. :p

But you'd probably fail if you did that. So you probably shouldn't do that. You should do what Nette said. Really you just have to repeat them over and over and over again. It's really the only way.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Midori » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:20 am

Make a tune to sing it to. It's what a lot of us bible quizzers did back in the day, and it works really well if you're musically oriented. Even just a catchy rhythm can work. You don't have to sing it when you're finally reciting it; thinking of the song will give you the words, which you can then say however you want.
Midori

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:37 am

[quote="Midori (post: 1420012)"]Make a tune to sing it to. It's what a lot of us bible quizzers did back in the day, and it works really well if you're musically oriented. Even just a catchy rhythm can work. You don't have to sing it when you're finally reciting it]

Having seen Midori recite verses at quizzing - and a bunch of others on the same team - I can attest that this works VERY well. I did it myself, "back in the day" and it worked for me, too. WAY easier than trying to simply remember by repetition. I'm not sure *why* it works, just *that* it works.

From my experience, I'd say this is likely the best advice you're going to get. I'm sure it's not the only way to memorize things, but it seems to drastically cut down on the time involved.
Mithrandir

Postby Falx » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:46 am

Friend of mine used to read aloud while watching herself in the mirror, might work for you.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:35 am

I'd approach it the same way I approached memorizing scripts: One verse at a time. Just memorize the sentence and then add a new sentence on it and repeat those until you know those two sentences, then add the new sentence, ad nauseum.

Though admittedly, the tune thing suggested probably works better. I suspect they wouldn't have taken kindly to my singing all my lines in a serious drama.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Nate » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:40 am

Dangit. When someone mentioned the "Make a song to it!" thing I immediately remembered when I was a kid we had some song that was to teach us the order of the books in the New Testament...and I STILL REMEMBER IT.

So yeah maybe a song is a good idea too.

Oh, I also heard that there's like...some sort of connection between smells and memory. I don't know how you could use this to your advantage...maybe sniff mints or something while you recite the verse a few times? And then, when you're in class, sniff a mint again and it can help you remember.

I wouldn't rely solely on that, but it couldn't hurt...besides, mints smell great!

Nate

Postby Okami » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:11 pm

I agree with everything mentioned in this thread. As a Theology student, I have to memorize a lot in the Bible. So far it's been little things, like knowing the twelve Disciples and all sixty-six books of the Bible in order starting in the beginning of the Old Testament, ending at the end of the New Testament (and bonus points if you know the Hebrew order!) That being said, the most prominent and effective method of learning these things I have found, is through song. For me, it makes me feel like I am using my resources of worship and making them fit and work into the academic area of the Bible.

I understand the pain of the 'Textbook Bible.' I dreaded it in my Freshman year, knowing courses like the Old Testament Trilogy were soon to be upon me. Now that I am in heavier intermediate Biblical theology classes, I can testify that it truly isn't that bad...just a bunch of busy work, a tired brain, and a craving hunger to know more of what the Bible is saying in context of the original readers... /Spent six hours last night in Genesis 1 and 2. <.< >.> >.<
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Sheenar » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:10 am

What I've done in the past is to write verses down on index cards (colorful ones work well and keep my interest) and attach a ring to them (punch a hole in each one) so you can flip through them like a book.

Then, whenever you're waiting in line, waiting at the doctor's office, just sitting for a few minutes, etc., take it out and read through it, one verse card at a time.

(I also use the same method to study material for an exam--like the genus/species names I had to know in my Forages class.) This method has worked pretty well for me --I am a very visual learner and writing them down physically helps me to remember --and then reading them out loud over and over.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Tamachan319 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:37 pm

Thank you all so very much!

Nate (post: 1419989) wrote:I would tell the teacher that if I memorized Bible verses but had no love in reciting them I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal and therefore memorization only serves to drive us further from God. :p

But you'd probably fail if you did that. So you probably shouldn't do that. You should do what Nette said. Really you just have to repeat them over and over and over again.

Haha. Yes, I would fail. (Although, the one thing that it would do would make my friends [who also have to memorize these long verses] laugh.)

Midori (post: 1420012) wrote:Make a tune to sing it to. It's what a lot of us bible quizzers did back in the day, and it works really well if you're musically oriented. Even just a catchy rhythm can work. You don't have to sing it when you're finally reciting it]
Unfortunately, I have to write them down, so singing isn't as helpful as I want it to be. Oh well; it still works! I'll try that with this week's verse.

Nate (post: 1420086) wrote:Dangit. When someone mentioned the "Make a song to it!" thing I immediately remembered when I was a kid we had some song that was to teach us the order of the books in the New Testament...and I STILL REMEMBER IT.

Oh, I also heard that there's like...some sort of connection between smells and memory. I don't know how you could use this to your advantage...maybe sniff mints or something while you recite the verse a few times? And then, when you're in class, sniff a mint again and it can help you remember.

I wouldn't rely solely on that, but it couldn't hurt...besides, mints smell great!

Wonder which song you know? I know songs for the Old and New Testament, so any time I have to look something up, I'm singing. I once learned an OT rap, but I didn't like it very much- plus it wasn't a "quick-sing-it-to-find-the-verse-type-song" in my opinion.
I should try the mint thing sometime. I do love mints...unfortunately, they're my cure for nausea, too...perhaps something else might be wiser. It would make for an interesting day in class.
Me: *sniff sniff*
Classmate: What in the world ARE YOU DOING?

Sheenar (post: 1420203) wrote:What I've done in the past is to write verses down on index cards (colorful ones work well and keep my interest) and attach a ring to them (punch a hole in each one) so you can flip through them like a book.

Then, whenever you're waiting in line, waiting at the doctor's office, just sitting for a few minutes, etc., take it out and read through it, one verse card at a time.

This method has worked pretty well for me --I am a very visual learner and writing them down physically helps me to remember --and then reading them out loud over and over.

I've never heard of that method! I'm a visual learner, too, so I should try that. Sounds like it would work! :thumbsup:

Once again, thanks! Let's see if anyone else has awesome suggestions!
[font="Comic Sans MS"]"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me."
-C. S. Lewis[/font]
"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."
According to EllaEdric, my real name is.... "TAMAMAMAMAAMMAAM".

[font="Courier New"]
I love my flute![/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tamachan319

Location: Someplace, somewhere. I'm specific about these things, you see.

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:47 am

When I was a kid, my mom would have my sister and me memorize Bible verses, and then if we could recite them from memory we'd get a star sticker. If we had enough star stickers on Saturday (we always did, of course) we'd go out to the mall, to the little coin-op kiddie rides.

The horsie, the fire engine or the helicopter. What more motivation do you need?
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Nate » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:54 am

Tamachan319 wrote:Wonder which song you know?

It was just for the NT. It didn't have lyrics, not really. It was just the books of the Bible put to a stupid little tune. It's barely a song, honestly, but somehow it's stuck in my head for all my life.

I really can't explain it unless I was to like...record myself singing it and trust me, you don't want that. My singing has been compared to a wildebeest giving birth...no joke. XD

Nate

Postby ich1990 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:08 am

I can attest to the song-memorization tip being effective. That is how I learned to skip count ("fast adding of the same number"). To this day, a decade and a half later, I still find myself occasionally lapsing into song when I am trying to multiply something. Thankfully, I keep it in my head, but still: curse you Mack the muskrat!
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Return to Tutorials