How secure is Photobucket?

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

How secure is Photobucket?

Postby Ella Edric » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:09 pm

Hey guys! For a while now I've been wanting to get a DA account or pb account, but my dad hasnt let me because he doesn't want people to steal my art and stuff. I was talking to him last night, and got the best answer yet out of him. He said I could if I had more infoon how secure it is. :) So, I need to know more details about pb's security. :P
(idk if this is a stupid queston or not cause I dunno much about pb :P)

Thanks!
Ella Edric

Postby Nate » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:04 pm

By default, photobucket accounts are private. This means no one can view your photobucket unless you give them a "Guest password," which isn't a password to mess with the account, just to view it (in other words, as far as I know, they can see your pictures but can't add or delete anything).

You can also make your album public, where anyone can view it. In addition, you can have sub-albums and can also make the sub-albums private. So you could have a public album that everyone can view, but sub-albums that are private and no one can view.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Ante Bellum » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:15 pm

Yeah, I heard dA is bad when it comes to art theft. If you are worried, then yeah, use Photobucket.
Ante Bellum

Postby Okami » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:38 pm

I use both DeviantART and PhotoBucket.

DeviantART is more likely to get more attention and views and comments, and overall has a nicer community of people to interact with.

PhotoBucket seems more like a "storage," to me. Like, post pictures for use as avatars, signatures, profile banners, that sort of thing, than as an actual art gallery.

There's really no way to prohibit art theft online other than not sharing art online, though, from my experiences. I've seen art theft in both DeviantART and Photobucket. However, if you don't get crazy amounts of hits and that sort of thing, you should be safe. I've never personally seen my art get stolen, and I've been posting at dA for six years now, and had 16,000+ pageviews at my old account.

Photobucket may seem safer, but if you want a real community, then DeviantART is the place to be.
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby armeck » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:45 pm

i'm not half bad at the computer, i don't really now the answer to your question but let me say this, if i can see the picture i can get the picture. no exceptions.
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby goldenspines » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:36 pm

armeckthefirst (post: 1408384) wrote:i'm not half bad at the computer, i don't really now the answer to your question but let me say this, if i can see the picture i can get the picture. no exceptions.

Confessing to be an art thief, eh?
Photobucket tends to lower the quality of images down to easily view on the internet without breaking someone's browser. Therefore, they are not very desirable to art thieves, even if they could find your pictures.
Concerning this issue, this is why artists should sign and/or put water marks on their work if they are very worried about getting it stolen.
Unless you are currently trying to market your artwork, just putting a signature on it (or some way to identify that you made it) should work fine. It's only when you start creating art for a living is when you need to take extra measures (such as watermarks and copyrights).
I've never had my art stolen, that I know of. Of course, a person would have to be a fool to steal my crappy artwork. XD;

Like Nate mentioned, Photobucket is secure and has customizable security settings. Plus, if you have your account set to private, none of your images will show up in Photobucket image searches either.
goldenspines

Postby armeck » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:12 pm

goldenspines (post: 1408396) wrote:Confessing to be an art thief, eh?

okay let me rephrase that, i CAN i didn't say i WOULD XD and yeah a signature is all you really need, because i can (not would) get the picture but if you sign it it can still have the signature photoshopped out (not saying i would do this) but that is not exactly real likely...
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby goldenspines » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:14 am

armeckthefirst (post: 1408405) wrote:okay let me rephrase that, i CAN i didn't say i WOULD XD and yeah a signature is all you really need, because i can (not would) get the picture but if you sign it it can still have the signature photoshopped out (not saying i would do this) but that is not exactly real likely...

No need to rephrase, I knew what you meant, I was just poking fun at you. XD

And no, it's not likely. Most art is not stolen unless its owner is careless, which I doubt Ella is, otherwise, she wouldn't be asking about security in the first place. :3
goldenspines

Postby Ella Edric » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:47 am

Haha, yeah. XD Thanks you guys for all your answers! My dad has now allowed me to get an account on PB. Thanks so much for all your info and help. Ya'll are great. :hug:
Ella Edric

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:09 pm

Noticed this when I was setting up my DA account- they do allow you to put watermarks on your pics so that people have a harder time stealing them.
Atria35

Postby Furen » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:58 pm

Could we see the pictures maybe?
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Ella Edric » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:00 pm

Which pictures?
Ella Edric

Postby Furen » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:20 am

I thought that was the reason you wanted a photobucket account
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Ella Edric » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:50 am

Oh, yeah. So I could have a place to store my art on the internet.
Ella Edric

Postby Furen » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:27 pm

yes, so would we be allowed to see the artwork?
Furen

Postby goldenspines » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:32 pm

Furen (post: 1416024) wrote:yes, so would we be allowed to see the artwork?

Oh, look at this, she actually posted some of her artwork here: http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=55190
goldenspines

Postby Furen » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:46 pm

Oh, thanks Goldy!

Just looked through them, they were very nice. I should learn how to draw (I'm able to do stick figures that's about the extent of my drawing talent)
Furen

Postby Ella Edric » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:11 pm

XD lol. Yeah You should that would be awesome! o.o-b Also, thanks Godly, that was gonna be my next step(posting a link to my thread). Tho, I don't have any recent works. XP
Ella Edric

Postby Furen » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:53 pm

I'll give it a 9/10

Keep up the good work:):thumbsup:
Furen

Return to Tutorials