How to make steampunk stuff?

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

How to make steampunk stuff?

Postby wildpurplechild » Fri May 21, 2010 4:51 pm

My friend likes steampunk, and I also think it's really cool, but how do I make stuff look like steampunk, and where can I find the materials to make it? I'm thinking about starting with a steampunk camera. Any tips?
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby Ante Bellum » Fri May 21, 2010 5:01 pm

http://www.instructables.com/technology/steampunk/
Here are some things on a website that might help.

Of course, you might not want to go with real brass unless you can spare the cost and maintenance.
Ante Bellum

Postby wildpurplechild » Fri May 21, 2010 5:12 pm

Thank you! Also if there's any suggestions on how to keep cost down, that's nice too.
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby Ante Bellum » Fri May 21, 2010 5:24 pm

Well, I know that if you want to use metal, like large pieces, you might want to go with aluminum and use brass spray paint. It depends on the amount of wear and abuse you expect it to go through.
And practice on scraps, if you can get them for really cheap or free. There's no feeling like making a crucial mistake on your final project. I haven't made any steampunk stuff myself, so I can't quite tell you about the style. It just depends on your tastes, and how you can make it similar to the steampunk idea.
Ante Bellum

Postby firestorm » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:49 am

thanks so much ante this has helped me too. oh I i drew the basic design for the bow I want to make too. I'll show it to you a bit later.
Come check my facebook fan page here If you want to see some great photography and art!

I am currently on my 4th draft of the script for Canvas! Canvas is a watercolor animated short about how everything declares of a Creator and how everything happens for a reason. If anyone would like to help by sending me resources on watercolor or animation it would be greatly appreciated!

I am also on my 1st draft of a short live-action Romcom called "Behind Every Good Man! Behind Every Good Man is about a Bride-to-be, Evelyn, who must stop her Mother-in-Law, Pamela, from living her dream wedding through Evelyn's. Along the way she learns what it means to be a Woman of Integrity today! If anyone wants to help let me know!

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Return to Tutorials