Animation program "Blender"

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Animation program "Blender"

Postby Arya Raiin » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:27 pm

(I don't know if this belongs here but I'm more than glad to have it moved if need be. I'm so sorry if it's in the wrong place!)

Hey people! I just got this new 3D animation program called Blender. I'm having trouble with it though because the tutorials are... bad. If anyone here on CAA knows how to use this program please help me out!

-Arya
Arya Raiin

Postby LadyRushia » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:32 pm

Moved to Tutorials.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby shooraijin » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:20 pm

Blender is very powerful and very complex. What are you trying to do with it?
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Arya Raiin » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:00 pm

Right now, I'm just trying to learn the basics. I've read the Blender 2.41 Quickstart, so now I'm just working with it. It is quite powerful, and slightly hard to use; but, I'm guessing that it puts out some good work once you figure it out. However, I have a hard time remembering the hotkeys. For the fact that I started using it yesterday so I'm really bad with it. I've realized I kind of have to drop my attitude with it that it's just like photoshop, lol! However, any tips on making basic shapes would be very appreciated. I've only had minimal experience with animation, so It's new to me. Thank you!
Arya Raiin

Postby Cap'n Nick » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:43 pm

Blender's user interface requires a lot more out of the user than Photoshop or Illustrator. Don't beat yourself up if you're not getting it right away. Just keep taking the time and it'll get easier. I've been using the program on and off for about a year now and I still feel like I could be a lot better with it.

If you want to speed up your learning curve a bit, I'd recommend actually printing out a copy of the hotkey list, and making notes on it in pencil. I love online documentation but switching between Blender and the tutorial docs can really derail your train of thought.
Cap'n Nick

Postby CreatureArt » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:54 pm

Have you worked with any other 3D animation/modelling software? I had a brief stint with Anim8or and Lightwave years ago and now work in Maya. It took me quite a while to get up and running with the interface and operation of each, every time I switched programs.

I'm with Cap'n Nick - don't beat yourself up if its taking a while to get used to Blender. The little I've seen of the program, some menus are still in development and there's a lot to deal with in the interface. :)

Cap'n Nick wrote:If you want to speed up your learning curve a bit, I'd recommend actually printing out a copy of the hotkey list, and making notes on it in pencil. I love online documentation but switching between Blender and the tutorial docs can really derail your train of thought.

That's a great suggestion. I might do that for Maya, too. Brushing up on the different hotkeys can really speed up your workflow...
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Postby Arya Raiin » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:12 pm

CreatureArt (post: 1342840) wrote:Have you worked with any other 3D animation/modelling software? I had a brief stint with Anim8or and Lightwave years ago and now work in Maya. It took me quite a while to get up and running with the interface and operation of each, every time I switched programs.

I'm with Cap'n Nick - don't beat yourself up if its taking a while to get used to Blender. The little I've seen of the program, some menus are still in development and there's a lot to deal with in the interface. :)

That's a great suggestion. I might do that for Maya, too. Brushing up on the different hotkeys can really speed up your workflow...

Well, for about two months I used some cheap 3D animator that taught me a few basics but I can't remember the name.:wow!: I can't believe I'm unable to bring the name to mind!

Anyway, I'll be printing out the hotkey page soon. Blender isn't proving easy, but I'm sure it's a lot easier than some! Thanks for your information guys!
Arya Raiin

Postby CreatureArt » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:05 pm

Arya Raiin (post: 1342868) wrote:Well, for about two months I used some cheap 3D animator that taught me a few basics but I can't remember the name.:wow!: I can't believe I'm unable to bring the name to mind!

Anyway, I'll be printing out the hotkey page soon. Blender isn't proving easy, but I'm sure it's a lot easier than some! Thanks for your information guys!

No worries. I tend to remember software names fairly well but I get stuck on people's names and faces. :D Every so often I splurge and buy a 3D World magazine, there's the odd blender tutorial in there (I haven't been able to find any on their website for you, unfortunately). If they stock it near where you live you might find something interesting in the odd issue. :)
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Postby Cap'n Nick » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:44 am

I was reading some manuals this morning and was reminded of something helpful: the majority of the standard commands will appear in the menu you get by pressing the spacebar. Next to each of the commands is its hotkey. So, if you don't know how to do something, you can browse the menu to see what's available and get its shortcut at the same time.
Cap'n Nick

Postby Arya Raiin » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:37 pm

Cap'n Nick (post: 1343006) wrote:I was reading some manuals this morning and was reminded of something helpful: the majority of the standard commands will appear in the menu you get by pressing the spacebar. Next to each of the commands is its hotkey. So, if you don't know how to do something, you can browse the menu to see what's available and get its shortcut at the same time.

LOL! You know what, I just found that out today. It was all by chance I found it out too. Also I'll be keeping an eye out for that magazine!
Arya Raiin

Return to Tutorials