Research giving me woes!

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Research giving me woes!

Postby heero yuy 95 » Fri May 08, 2009 3:20 am

Okay, so here's the deal, I'm still awake at 5:15 in the morning on the bottom floor of my dorm, writing the last paper of my freshman year of college... and it's taking me forever because it's killing me to find good research to cite. Like... all I'm looking for are studies to show how mothers are important to the development of children!!! Mothers are pretty darn important!!, one would think there would be more information of them on the almighty interWeb!! :waah!:
but such is not the case, I just keep finding weird articles chalked full with scientific jargon that really have little to do with what I need... :mutter::mutter:

So.....

If anyone here has some good information, be it links or recommendations, I would appreciate it greatly. I'm not asking anyone here to look it up for me, but if they know a place I could go to, it would make my day.

Thanks a million, guys n girls!
'listen to me, Grel, these constant failures have been causing me to lose face, and if you keep it up i shan't spare yours!" -Khyron the Destroyer

"why throw away your life so recklessly!"
"that's a question you should be asking yourself, megatron."
-transformers the movie

http://starfoxman.deviantart.com/

^ My Manga!!! Check it out!
heero yuy 95

Postby Technomancer » Fri May 08, 2009 3:38 am

The first thing is to use your university's library and not the interent. From there you should be able to find various books, as well as their own database for searching journals (probably something like WebSpirs).

On the whole, undergraduate projects like this will be better served by books, or else review articles rather than normal journal papers. The former will summarize the results and place them in context, while the latter will be much more terse and may or may not be significant and/or actually correct.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby heero yuy 95 » Fri May 08, 2009 3:46 am

Thanks, I guess I should have asked sooner, because it's due today in about nine hours, but that is some solid advice.
'listen to me, Grel, these constant failures have been causing me to lose face, and if you keep it up i shan't spare yours!" -Khyron the Destroyer

"why throw away your life so recklessly!"
"that's a question you should be asking yourself, megatron."
-transformers the movie

http://starfoxman.deviantart.com/

^ My Manga!!! Check it out!
heero yuy 95

Return to Tutorials