My Story's gone! Please help me find it. . . :(

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

My Story's gone! Please help me find it. . . :(

Postby Mangafanatic » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:25 pm

Hey Guys, I started a story on my home computer, then I e-mailed it to myself, downloaded and started working on it. Now. . . I can't figure out where it is. I've tried search for it, but I can't find it. :( Any ideas?
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:02 pm

Have you lost the email or the downloaded file?
Fish and Chips

Postby ~darkelfgirl~ » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:24 pm

This happened to me before. I lost all 40 pages of a story I was working on. Checked the recycle bin and all. It's like it was "eaten" or something.

I was going to ask if you have a "recent downloads" or "recent items" section on the Start menu of your computer. Maybe you could check that to see if the file is listed there or type the name of the file in Search.
[color=purple][font=Tahoma][color=royalblue]"But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint."--[/color]Isaiah 40:31
[/font]
[/color]
~darkelfgirl~

Postby termyt » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:35 am

Do you know where you downloaded it to?

If you opened the attachment from the email, worked on it, and just hit save. there's a good chance you saved it into a temporary folder used by your email program to store attachments.

Try searching on text from within the document.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:51 am

Maybe you could try downloading it again, but make sure to specify where it saves the document? I dunno, I've never had that happen to me before. o_o
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Tsukuyomi » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:07 pm

Yeah, you could try looking in your Recent Documents in the start menu or you can go and check back in your Email :) It should be in your actual inbox and in your Sent box (?) ^_^ How recent was this from :) You should be able to find it in one of those places that the others have suggested as well ^ ^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby RidleyofZebes » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:16 pm

Have you tried doing a search and setting the "When was it Modified" tab (XP) to the last time you remember editing your story?
~Ridley [color="Green"] ;)
[/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]deviantART[/color][/color][/font] | [font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]YouTube[/color][/color][/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~~~[color="Yellow"]AKA: DarkwaterhHealer~~~[/color]
Even when lurking, I am with you in spirit...

Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES.
RidleyofZebes

Return to Tutorials