Japanese Help

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Postby Wave » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:12 pm

How do you say "Kick it, it'll start working" Japanese.

wave.
••• ––– •••

You have heard that the law of Moses says "Do not commit adultry." But I say, anyone who even looks at a women with lust in his eys has already committed adultery with her in his heart
Mathew 5:27-29
Wave

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:36 pm

If a Japanese person says your Japanese is good, the "proper" response is to blow off the compliment by saying something like "it's not that great", but I'm not exactly sure how to put that in Japanese. XD;

Um...if you want to say "to read books", wouldn't it be "hon o yomu"? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not sure how to say "reading books" as a hobby though; simply saying "to read" might give enough context on that one.

But for something like playing badminton, can't you just put "suru" on the end of it, i.e. "badominton suru"? I mean, to say "to study Japanese" you say "nihongo o benkyou suru", so wouldn't it be the same thing for other activities like that?

As you can see, I still have a lot of learning to do myself. >_>
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Hitokiri » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:21 pm

FnlFntsyYuna (post: 1281165) wrote:I want to lean Japanese so that I can make Japanese friends and when ever I get a chance to go to Japan, that I might be able to understand and speak there language =D

Questions - Dose it take a long to lean a new language and, Just curious, are you Japanese?

Ah, I forgot to check this thread!

I would say it depends on how well you can learn a entirely new language. Japanese has a much more difficult learning curve then let's say Spanish or French. Regardless of kanji or hurigana, the sentance format is obviously much more different.

It depends on how long you study, how dedicated, how well you can retain it, and just your ability to learn a new language. Languages aren't meant for everybody. That's not meant to be discouraging but it's the same with math, history, or science. I have taken four years of Japanese (using one years a refresher of the basics) and I am no where near fluency. I consider myself...average?

私]What's the best response to: 日本語上手ですね 「にほんごじょうずですね」 (nihongo jouzu desu ne) I think it translates to "You're japanese is skillful." Am I right?
This is after a simple greeting in Japanese.[/quote]

Crap, I had a book on phrases but I lent that to a friend. I knew it had it in there. However, I usually say is...

”いいえ。毎日日本語勉強しなくてはだめで。 Iie. mainchi nihongo benkyou shinakute wa dame desu. No. I have to study Japanese every day.

or

”ありがとう。でも日本語がへたです。” Arigatou. Demo nihongo ga heta desu. Thanks. But my Japanese is not good.

In Japanese, accepting any type of advice, compliment, request, or stuff od that nature is usually met with "well...." as to avoid conflict, That's the one thing I dislike about the language and culture.

For example, last summer I asked a girl whom I was talking to a lot to go to karaoke with some of the other American and Japanese students. But she used like すみませんが way of ditching the event. I know she didn't want to hurt my feelings but I knew she was just b.s'ing wanting to go and stuff. It happens a lot so what can you do :/ Turning down involves a lot of "but..." or "well..." and then making something up haha.

And how would I say I can't read many kanji? Something like: 「かんじはよむないです。」? (kanji wa yomunai desu.)

No that would not work. It would translate "I do not read kanji". You will want to say 漢字はあまり読めません。 kanji ha amari yomemasen. I am unable to read many kanji. Amari being "excessive" or "many" and "yomeru" being the potential form of Yomu.

One last question. How would I say: "My hobbies are, reading books, playing badminton, drawing and listening to music."?
Currently I'd say something like:  ぼくのしゅみはよむほんとあそぶバドミントンとえがくときくおんがく。 (boku no shumi wa yomu hon to asobu badominton to egaku to kiku ongaku)

ぼくの趣味は読書とバドミントンをするのと音楽を聞くのです、 boku no shumi wa dokusho to bandominton o suru no to ongaku o kiku no desu,

Dokusho is the Japanese word for "reading books". You could use hon o yomu but dokusho is more correct. Again, if someone has a better understanding of Japanese please correct me but by adding "~no" at the end of a verb, it makes it a noun. Therefore, tenisu o suru no "playing tennis", "doitsu tabemono o taberu no" "eating german food" can be listed thus as "shumi". You can also use "~koto" instead of "~no".I prefer "no".  Lastly, what's engaku? I looked every where and I couldn't find it. I assume you meant ongaku, ね。

I am not sure if there is a word for "listening to music" but I do recall dokusho when I was studying hobbies and such.
Hitokiri

Postby Hitokiri » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:08 pm

皆はどこですか。
Hitokiri

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:47 pm

Kon ban wa, minna-dono! Ogenki desu ka? 'Kawa' fo-ramu atarashi motte imasu! Shiawase wa.
Fics an' pics from the Royal Otaku-ness of Squee

Heart of Sock!

"Those who never know a sleepless night cannot become strong; that is the rule."
Sailor Kenshin

Postby Eddosan » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:52 am

[quote="Hitokiri (post: 1286964)"]皆]

私はここにいます。。。
Jesus is Lord!

[url=eddosan.deviantart.com]Clickity click[/url]
Eddosan

Postby Hitokiri » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:33 pm

今「大塚愛」聞いている。私の一番大塚愛の歌はMackerel's Canned FoodとHappy DaysとPlanetariumとポンポンですよ。
Hitokiri

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:45 am

Hey, does anyone else here have My Japanese Coach for the Nintendo DS? I received it as a birthday present and it is so cool! It's quite a fun little learning tool. :3
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Eddosan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:53 am

ShiroiHikari (post: 1287469) wrote:Hey, does anyone else here have My Japanese Coach for the Nintendo DS? I received it as a birthday present and it is so cool! It's quite a fun little learning tool. :3
Holy crap, it's out now? HMMMMM. Gotta check dis out.
Jesus is Lord!

[url=eddosan.deviantart.com]Clickity click[/url]
Eddosan

Postby Hitokiri » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:10 pm

I heard it was out. Very cool!
Hitokiri

Postby Wave » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:00 pm

watashe wa "Phil Keaggy" no "Country Dawn" o Kiite imusu

(I'm listing to Phil Keaggy's Country Dawn.)
••• ––– •••

You have heard that the law of Moses says "Do not commit adultry." But I say, anyone who even looks at a women with lust in his eys has already committed adultery with her in his heart
Mathew 5:27-29
Wave

Postby Hitokiri » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:29 am

「chillpill20」やん、まいどまいど!

あ、あんたの日本語上手やな。多数漢字が知っているか。漢字暗記してん難儀なあ。すまへんで、ある人々は漢字か平仮名か片仮名が分かれへん。それで平仮名とえローマ字と英語翻訳書いて下さい。

「chillpill20」やんまいどまいど

あ、 あんたのにほんごじょうずやな。たすうかんじがしっているか。かんじあんきしてんなんぎなあ。すまへんで、あるひとびとはかんじかひらがなかかたかながわかれへん。それでひらがなとローマじとえいごほんやくかいてください。

「chillpill20」yan maido maido

A, anta no hihongo jyouzu ya na. Tasuu kanji ga shitteiruka. Kanji anki shiten nangi naa. Sumahen de aru hitobito ha kanji ka hiragana ka katana ga wakarehen. Sorede hiragana to romaaji to eigo honyaku kaitekudasai.

「chillpill20」-bro What's up!

Ah, your Japanese is good! Do you know a lot of kanji? Kanji is very difficult to memorize, right? Excuse me but some people do not understand kanji, hiragana, or katana. Therefore, please write in hiragana, romaji, and in English translation.

---
I apologize but that was my first run through using a Kansai dialect. There are probably a lot of mistakes but once I started, it was hard to stop typing in it haha. And to emphasize, please write in hiragana and/or katana, roman-lettered Japanese, and the english translation. I know a fair amount of kanji and I was lost at some you wrote. It's nothing wrong but if you want a response; make it readable for the other posters.
Hitokiri

Postby kaji » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:21 pm

Your Kansai romanji is kinda hard to understand Hitokiri. But I think I got the gist of it. I can see the correct hiragana, but the romanji is just... different.

Such as in あんたのにほんごじょうじやな (literally: anatano nihongo joujana)

I guess they just pronounce a lot of sounds differntly? Interesting! ^_^
Depend on it. God's work done in God's way will never lack God's supply. He is too wise a God to frustrate His purposes for lack of funds, and He can just as easily supply them ahead of time as afterwards, and He much prefers doing so.
- J. Hudson Taylor
I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?" "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet. You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times." It was all true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach. He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
kaji

Postby Hitokiri » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:30 pm

[quote="kaji (post: 1293654)"]Your Kansai romanji is kinda hard to understand Hitokiri. But I think I got the gist of it. I can see the correct hiragana, but the romanji is just... different.

Such as in あ]

Ahh, no that was a typo (>,<)O*

In hiragana, I meant じょうず but I accidentally put じょうじ I believe.

Also notice the や is not a ゃ therefore じや not じゃ. But then again, it was my mistake haha.

ごめんな!

Yeah, Kansai-ben and Osaka-ben can be very hard to understand a first! I had dinner with a friend from Tokyo at his parents house who live near my city. His father, however, is from Osaka so when he heard I spoke a little Osaka-ben; he immediately started using it. I had to apologize because I had no idea what he was saying however that really encouraged me to study it more.
Hitokiri

Postby kaji » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:42 pm

Ah, I see now. ^_^

Also notice the や is not a ゃ therefore じや not じゃ. But then again, it was my mistake haha.

I see the difference between the glide and the normal when they are next to each other like that. Thanks! ^_~

That sounds like an embarrassingly amusing story. A professor of mine who spent a number of years in the JET program enjoys recounting the difference between southern and northern Japanese dialects (and behaviors). Namely the quiet/polite nature of woman from one area and the rough/tough nature in the other.

I think its easy to forget that, much like in America, other countries also have their own regional differences in language and customs.
Depend on it. God's work done in God's way will never lack God's supply. He is too wise a God to frustrate His purposes for lack of funds, and He can just as easily supply them ahead of time as afterwards, and He much prefers doing so.
- J. Hudson Taylor
I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?" "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet. You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times." It was all true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach. He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
kaji

Postby Hitokiri » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:25 pm

If you are interested in Kansai-ben, feel free to PM me or hit me up on Skype: venustheeverwilt.

I wouldn't mind explaining the basics here but only if a large amount of people are interested. And even then, I would suggest focusing on standardized Japanese for a couple years before looking into dialects.
Hitokiri

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:24 am

I always love how Kansai-ben sounds, but...I can't understand a word of it XD
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Hitokiri » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:04 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1293880) wrote:I always love how Kansai-ben sounds, but...I can't understand a word of it XD

A lot of it is just shortened versions of standard Japanese.

Omoshiroi is omoroi in Kansai-ben. Anata is anta as well.

However, you have complete differences such as muzukashii and nangi, okii and gotsui.
Hitokiri

Postby Aka-chan » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:56 pm

[quote="chillpill20 (post: 1292368)"]皆]
CAAにようこそ!

で、フィルムや本等の様にアニメは色々なジャンルがあるから「クリスチャン系のアニメファン」っては矛盾ではないと思う。深夜アニメを見る訳ではないね。「キモい」ってちょっとひどいんじゃない?

CAA ni youkoso!

De, firumu ya hon nado no you ni anime ha iroiro na jannru ga aru kara "kurisuchan-kei no anime fan" tte wa mujun dewanai to omou. Shinya anime wo miru wake dewanai ne. "Kimoi" tte chotto hidoin janai?

Welcome to CAA!

Also, like film and books, anime has lots of genres, so I don't think "Christian anime fan" is a contradiction. It doesn't necessarily mean they're watching late night anime. Don't you think "disgusting" is a little harsh?

Btw, Hitokiri, I think you mean that "ookii" is "gottsui." Also, as a side note, "gottsui" can stand in for "sugoi" as well, in some cases. And "anta" is not limited to Kansai-ben; I've definitely heard it in other cases.
Aka-chan

Postby Hitokiri » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:52 pm

Yeah, I realized my mistake after wards haha. I didn't know it could be replaced for sugoi. That is interesting.

As for "anta", I recently heard that used from a non-native Kansai person so haha, isn't used more frequently in Kansai though?
Hitokiri

Postby Aka-chan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:58 pm

Hitokiri (post: 1294611) wrote:Yeah, I realized my mistake after wards haha. I didn't know it could be replaced for sugoi. That is interesting.

As for "anta", I recently heard that used from a non-native Kansai person so haha, isn't used more frequently in Kansai though?

As a note, though, I have almost never heard anyone use "gottsui" in any context, and I've lived in Kansai for close to a year now.

So after consulting with my native Kyoto friend, apparently "anta" is technically Kansai, though it has come to be used elsewhere somewhat. For the most part, though, she says you wouldn't want to use it unless you're trying to make a joke or garner some odd stares. It is generally used by women age 50 and up. (As a note, though, I wouldn't use it if I were you, even in a joke. Because you're a foreigner, even if your Japanese is decently good, people here will assume you're making a mistake rather than being deliberate. The joke then falls flat when you try to explain it.)
Aka-chan

Postby Benn » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:03 pm

could someone help me with a translation? i'm trying to install comic studio pro (which only comes in japanese) and i'm stuck at two options and can't really figure them out. here's a screen cap..

http://www.piratemonkeypress.com/images/japanesetext.JPG
arigato! ^^
Benn

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:47 pm

The one on the left says "Standard Interface", the one on the right says "Beginner's Assistant".
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Benn » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:13 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1295641) wrote:The one on the left says "Standard Interface", the one on the right says "Beginner's Assistant".

Thank you very much!
Benn

Postby Hitokiri » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:59 am

Aka-chan (post: 1294706) wrote:As a note, though, I have almost never heard anyone use "gottsui" in any context, and I've lived in Kansai for close to a year now.

So after consulting with my native Kyoto friend, apparently "anta" is technically Kansai, though it has come to be used elsewhere somewhat. For the most part, though, she says you wouldn't want to use it unless you're trying to make a joke or garner some odd stares. It is generally used by women age 50 and up. (As a note, though, I wouldn't use it if I were you, even in a joke. Because you're a foreigner, even if your Japanese is decently good, people here will assume you're making a mistake rather than being deliberate. The joke then falls flat when you try to explain it.)

Yeah, I figured. I just wanted to put my studying into practice. I am studying it in order to comprehensive purposes if I find myself in area where Kinki is used more so then standardized Japanese.
Hitokiri

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:21 am

Can anyone tell me whether there's a difference between the words 'ichiban' and 'saikyou,' which I've heard describing just about the same things.

Heart of Sock!

"Those who never know a sleepless night cannot become strong; that is the rule."
Sailor Kenshin

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:26 am

"Saikyou" is literally "strongest", or "ultimate strength". "Ichiban" is literally "number one".
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:13 pm

I see---not QUITE interchangeable, but close. Thanks!

Heart of Sock!

Sailor Kenshin

Postby firestorm » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:20 pm

hey guys long time no see just wondering if you could help me.

you see I'm making a sword stand for these 2 katanas that I have and I wanted to have the Fruit of the Spirit in Japanese in the front. I think I can find love but I need help finding the rest. please also note my computer can't display asian languages. (xp trial version only for now til we finish fixing it. :( ) so any pictures of the symbols would be wonderful.
Come check my facebook fan page here If you want to see some great photography and art!

I am currently on my 4th draft of the script for Canvas! Canvas is a watercolor animated short about how everything declares of a Creator and how everything happens for a reason. If anyone would like to help by sending me resources on watercolor or animation it would be greatly appreciated!

I am also on my 1st draft of a short live-action Romcom called "Behind Every Good Man! Behind Every Good Man is about a Bride-to-be, Evelyn, who must stop her Mother-in-Law, Pamela, from living her dream wedding through Evelyn's. Along the way she learns what it means to be a Woman of Integrity today! If anyone wants to help let me know!

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Postby Kaori » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:47 pm

Well, I can tell you what they are, but I don't know offhand where to find pictures of the kanji. I will post them in kanji (in hopes that you can work out your computer problem) and romaji; you may be able to look up images using the romaji.

[SIZE="2"]愛 ai

喜び yorokobi

平和 heiwa

寛容 kanyou

親切 shinsetsu

善意 zen'i

誠実 seijitsu

柔和 nyuuwa

節制 sessei[/SIZE]

It shouldn't be too hard to find some nice calligraphy images of love, joy, and peace; those characters are popular in calligraphy. The rest might be a little harder to find.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Previous Next

Return to Tutorials