Japan Summer '08

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Japan Summer '08

Postby Speakr4thedead » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:35 pm

I'm going on vacation to Japan in the summer of '08 and I was wondering if anyone here had been for about a week and a half or so. I'd just like opinions, advice, and info on things to do and places to be.
I'm not really sure where in Japan I'm going yet, so you can suggest that too if you want.

DISCLAIMER: Oh, and please keep it relevant and at least a little experience based. I just don't want my trip to be influenced by "Zomg! U shud go 2 Oknawa Island bc its in this 1 anime andi t looks like it roxxors!"

Much appreciated.
The Lord na my shephard, I dey kampe.
E make me sidan for where betta dey flow and come put me next to stream make mai bodi thermacool.
E panel beat mai soul come spray am white, come dey lead me dey go through express road of righteousness sake of His name.
Walahi!, if I come pass dey where arm robber, 419 and juju people boku, come even join okada reach valley of the shadow of death sef, mai bodi dey inside cloth.
Your rod and staff nko ?
Na so dem dey like back bone dey comfort me.
You don prepare Egusi and Pounded Yam make I chop.
All mai enemies dey look waa waa.
You rub me for head wit vaseline intensive lotion.
Mai cup na River Niger wey overflow hin bank.
True true, betta life and mercy go gum mai back till I quench.
And man pikin go tanda for God house from lai lai to lai lai.
Speakr4thedead

Postby starlitememory » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:48 pm

Congrats on such a great trip! I'm going next summer too, how cool! From the research I've done, I would suggest not staying in Tokyo much... -_-; Sorry that's not much help.
starlitememory

Postby rii namuras » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:53 pm

[color="Red"](Fwee, I'm going next summer as well, possibly. I'm planning on staying two weeks, though, with three in Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, and Hiroshima, with the remaining days for flight/travel.)

(Haven't done much research yet, but I'll update you on good places to go when I do.)[/color]
rii namuras

Postby SnoringFrog » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:21 pm

I can't really offer any advice on the subject, but I have a friend who lived there for 4 years, so I'll ask her and post back with what she recommends.

BTW, I absolutely love your name. OSC = best author period and EG & the subsequent books = best series of books ever. But that's another topic.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby ClosetOtaku » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:44 pm

What do you like to do?

I've spent about a month total on four different vacations to Japan. Most of the time I've spent in Tokyo, and while I've seen many sights, there's still plenty more to do.

I went to Hiroshima and saw the A-Bomb Dome, Centotaph, and Peace Museum.

I went to Kyoto and walked the Philosopher's Walk.

I saw Bunrakyu, an old and dying art form of half-life-sized puppets onstage at the National Theater in Osaka.

I went to Mitaka and saw the Ghibli Museum, well worth the stop.

July and August are months for climbing Fuji. My plans include climbing Fuji late next July.

I shopped at various shops (particularly Animate and Mandarake -- don't miss the various Mandarake shops in Nakano in Tokyo) for anime and manga.

I ate some terrific sushi. Next time, I'll do fugu -- blowfish -- and see if I come back alive. Also dined at an authentic yakitori dive.

And, as seen in Kanon, I ate fresh Taiyaki on a cold November night from a store vendor in Shibuya.

Unfortunately, Summer will be too late to enjoy Hanami, the annual cherry blossom craze that sweeps Japan in late March/April. Wandering through Ueno Park during that time is an experience not to be forgotten.

So, what is it that you like to do?
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby Speakr4thedead » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:53 pm

I really like sushi...I mean really really like it. So I guess one thing I like to do is eat good sushi.
I'm really interested in the old architecture and culture. Probably mostly like 1500's to 1800's eras, so I'd like to visit citadels and shrines that were constructed back then.
I love city night life so I'd like to at least spend a few days in Osaka or Tokyo just to get a feel for the living city, but I also really like the tranquility and beauty of getting away from everything so I'd probably want to spend some time somewhere that isn't concrete and steel beams.
And I guess finally, since it's a vacation and all, I'd like to be able to just relax around a hotel some days.

All that being said, I'm also thinking about just spending two weeks on the beach on Okinawa Island. But if you have any experience with stuff like that, feel free to share.
E make me sidan for where betta dey flow and come put me next to stream make mai bodi thermacool.
E panel beat mai soul come spray am white, come dey lead me dey go through express road of righteousness sake of His name.
Walahi!, if I come pass dey where arm robber, 419 and juju people boku, come even join okada reach valley of the shadow of death sef, mai bodi dey inside cloth.
Your rod and staff nko ?
Speakr4thedead

Postby Speakr4thedead » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:03 pm

I guess most of all, I really really like sushi. So I would like to eat sushi...a lot.
I don't know if I'll have the funds to travel too much, unless it's pretty cheap for public transportation, so I'd like to stay in one or two places that have a lot too offer.
I really like the city night life so I'd like to be in Osaka or Tokyo for a few nights at least to catch a feeling of the living city, but at the same time I really enjoy the peace and tranquility found in rural areas.
I really want to get a feel for the culture and the people, current and past. I have a big interest in architecture and culture from the 1500's to the 1800's.

All that being said, I also have considered just spending two weeks at the beach on Okinawa Island.

Anyway, some of that stuff contradicts itself, and I'm sure not all of it is possible in a few weeks of travel, but those are a few things that I would be interested in. Any insight you have would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.- SnoringFrog, you rule.
Your rod and staff nko ?
Speakr4thedead

Postby ClosetOtaku » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:01 pm

Speakr4thedead wrote:I guess most of all, I really really like sushi. So I would like to eat sushi...a lot.

You've come to the right place, of course. Plenty of sushi dens, from your run-of-the-mill Sushizama to a specialty place that sells bento in Ginza that, if I can ever find it again, I will make sure it gets its own web page in my travelogue.

I don't know if I'll have the funds to travel too much, unless it's pretty cheap for public transportation, so I'd like to stay in one or two places that have a lot too offer.

Public transportation is plentiful and fairly inexpensive by train inside Tokyo -- but for my money, pick up a JR Rail Pass if you want to go outside of Tokyo. It gives you a lot of options both in the city as well as around the countryside.

Oh, and you may want to start buying Yen... like, now. The dollar may continue its plunge for a while.

I really like the city night life so I'd like to be in Osaka or Tokyo for a few nights at least to catch a feeling of the living city, but at the same time I really enjoy the peace and tranquility found in rural areas.

Roppongi and Shibuya are very good for this. I can't speak so much from experience about Harajuku. Akihabara is a must stop to get an idea of modern Japan during the day, although I'm not familiar with nighttime activities there. Beware about Roppongi: at night, if you are male and a foreigner, you will get propositioned many times from the professionals, if you get my drift. Just ignore and continue walking.

I really want to get a feel for the culture and the people, current and past. I have a big interest in architecture and culture from the 1500's to the 1800's.

This is what I did on my last trip: flew into Tokyo, spent a few days there, activated my JR Rail Pass (you have to buy it before you get to Japan), then went to Osaka, where I spent a few more days. From Osaka, I did day trips to places like Himeji -- to see the Himeji Castle of course -- though you can also see the castle in Osaka (not as "authentic" for my money...). Osaka and Kyoto are next door to each other, so you can get an idea for "traditional" Japanese architecture in Kyoto aplenty. Osaka has a bit of modern architecture as well.

If you can't afford to go out of Tokyo... maybe Asakusa or Kamakura will suffice (can't tell you much about the latter, haven't been there yet). Asakusa just struck me as a little too "touristy". But it is still worth a visit if you have the time.

All that being said, I also have considered just spending two weeks at the beach on Okinawa Island.

Ahh, to be young and immortal. If I were going to spend that much airfare and put up with that much jet lag, I'd want to do something more than get a tan... but that's me. Although if you are looking for social interaction, that's probably the place to go.

Two indispensable books: Japan, by Eyewitness Travel Guides -- I've met a few tourists who carry this book around, it really is a nice summary -- and Tokyo City Atlas: A Bilingual Guide by Kodansha International, an absolutely wonderful map that, if you get serious about exploring, will help you immensely: I found (once I understood how the address systems work in Tokyo -- by neighborhood, not by street) I could get from point to point with no problem using this booklet.

Let me know if you have other questions...
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby SnoringFrog » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:03 pm

Okay, here's what my friend'd told me thus far. She said she'd have more to recommend later.

oooooooooooooooooh
they are goin to Okinawa right?
ummmm why Okinawa? AHAHAHAHAHAHA lol
there are much more fun places in tokyo.
so.. do i have to recommand some places for sightseein in Okinawa?
or...?=)

i recommend him to go to Tokyo
in Tokyo, there are some nice places he can sightsee
like Kaminarimon(in Asakusa), Tokyo Disney land+Sea(in Chiba)..etc..

oh! and tokyo tower! I LOVE TOKYO TOWER he will like it too

UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby MyrrhLynn » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:31 am

All good suggestions so I can't really add much. Umm are you fluent (or really close) in Japanese? If not you are going to have a BAD time getting around in the rural areas because all the signs will be in Japanese and most people wont' know English at all.

For places to see I'd suggest Tokyo and Osaka, and Kyoto has all the tourist junk that people think of when they picture Japan. Tokyo and Osaka would be more of the night life places. Kyoto is mostly a giant tourist trap. XD Actually you could probably just stay in Tokyo and then maybe do a few day trips out to other places. It depends on what you really want to see.

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Return to Tutorials