Digital imaging/art programs?

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Digital imaging/art programs?

Postby wiggins » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:01 pm

Which graphic design/ digital art/imaging program is the best?
Being a Christian makes me a different otaku; Being an otaku doesn't make me a different Christian!
wiggins

Postby glitch1501 » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:14 pm

i LOVE photoshopCS
and if you cant buy that, GIMP is always an option, its good too, and free
http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby Straylight » Tue Dec 16, 2003 3:21 pm

Photoshop/ImageReady are probably the best tools to use. Failing that get Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop Elements, or the GIMP
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby The Silence » Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:59 pm

i like photoshop elements... I don't actually like the gimp all that much tho....it seemed... clumsy.
"Accoustic Guitar, I'm gonna make you a star,
Get your picture all over the world.
Accoustic Guitar, you can have your own car,
Just bring me back my girl..."

--Magnetic Fields

The Silence

Postby LorentzForce » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:34 pm

i love my photoshop 6.0. it's soooooo cool.
LorentzForce

Postby madphilb » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:40 am

The Silence wrote:i like photoshop elements... I don't actually like the gimp all that much tho....it seemed... clumsy.

GIMP is a pretty sweat program once you get to know it... I think part of the problem people have with it (I know it tripped me up for a while) is that it doesn't use the Multi-Document Interface that we're used to on the Windows platform (and I guess the Mac too). After you get the hang of that, it's all downhill from there.
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby void dweller » Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:14 am

i like corel draw 9 and corel photopaint 9. I have PS6, but haven't played withit much. If i could get ahold of some of the plugins for PS, i 'd play more. Like eye candy, xenofx, or velociraptor.
i reside inside insane asylums,
dwelling in a cell i yell in silence
void dweller

Postby MyrrhLynn » Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:04 am

Well I agree with the majority that Photshop rocks! :) It's also really expensive. :( As for Photshop plugins though, I thought about buying some but if you look most of them are just extra filters, which I most likely wouldn't use anyways.

I personally think the coolest thing about Photoshop is the brush tool. Since you can download all kinds of different ones for free all over the place. (That's how I got the sparkle/star like look on my current banner, it's just a brush.)

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby The Silence » Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:30 am

that's why i am enjoying my photoshop elements to the fullest, since i have no money....it's nice an cheaper
"Accoustic Guitar, I'm gonna make you a star,
Get your picture all over the world.
Accoustic Guitar, you can have your own car,
Just bring me back my girl..."

--Magnetic Fields

The Silence

Postby Twilly Spree » Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:00 am

I use photoshop 7 it's beautiful.
Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away.
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Postby Fsiphskilm » Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:18 pm

There are many pr
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Straylight » Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:57 pm

Volt wrote:I only use dreamweaver for Rollovers..

Hey, I never knew Dreamweaver did rollovers. My Javascript is really lousy so that could come in handy :thumb:
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:38 pm

I like Photoshop, Photoshop, annnnd Photoshop :D

Erm...I haven't used Paint Shop Pro since like version 5 o_O
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby glitch1501 » Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:54 am

your right volt, sometime DW can be retarded, and only the mighty notepad can fix it!

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Passion - Kutless
glitch1501

Postby Twilly Spree » Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:18 pm

Eh I don't mind a little Dreamweaver action now and then. Big fan of QuarkXpress though, that's a fun GD program.
Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away.
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Postby Haibane Shadsie » Sat Dec 20, 2003 8:52 pm

I have:

CorelDraw8, CorelPhotoPaint8, Adobe Illustrator 9, Photoshop 5.5, and Adobe InDesign 1.5.

No, I'm not rich. I have a weird way with lucking out in getting programs. The Corel package I got with my computer when my parents bought it for me as a birthday gift a few years ago. Illustrator and Photoshop I got... for... 15-25 bucks apiece? (forget how much), from someone I went to college classes with. He said that he was a licensed dealer of the programs, so that his copying of them was perfectly legal, but I still don't know. I only bought from him because I thought that he was legit... he said that he "didn't like to rip off students"... so, yeah, I got those programs cheap... with InDesign, I got that from my job - I work for a tiny local newspaper as a part-time graphic designer... our main advertising salesman had the program for showing stuff to clients on his laptop, so he gave me a copy of the program for home use - as a legitimate thing, because I work for the paper. I occasionally do work at home for the paper, therefore I am provided what I need.

At work, I use Pagemaker for layout and basic design. It's not a great program, but it's pretty fun to use. QuarkXPress, which I learned in college, is a better program. So is InDesign, which is almost like a combination of QuarkXPress and Adobe Illustrator.

The program I use most, by far, however, is Photoshop. I usually just use Photoshop 5.5 at work, on my computer station, which is the only station connected to the scanner. One of the other computers (unfortuantely, the one that uses Windows XP, which I dislike), has Photoshop 10. I haven't had a good excuse to play with that program yet, though. I'm just waitin', chompin' at the bit for some major project that needs to be done all in Photoshop to use it.

Photoshop... use it frequently both at work and at home... so far, my favorite graphic design program. ^_^. Not good for page-layout, though... it is better to use something like QuarkXPress, Pagemaker, or InDesign for that, usually.
"We will never give up and despair, for we are on a mission from God." __ Hellsing, Vol. 2.
Haibane Shadsie

Postby shooraijin » Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:58 am

I'm all Photoshop here ... I tried using procreate Painter since it came with my Wacom tablet, but I went back to Photoshop since I was doing all my post-draw work in PS anyway.

This system also has Illustrator, Acrobat and InDesign on it, but Illustrator is something I have rarely found a use for that Photoshop *couldn't* do (and more easily), and InDesign is lost on me since I'm a QuarkXPress user of long-standing (too bad QXP4, which I have, is Classic-mode only). Thumbs up, Red Ninja! :thumb: Did you do any DTP work? My QXP experience is from being the university student newspaper editor during medical school, and on a 22" monitor, it rocked. :)

Recently I got Flash MX (I love academic pricing), and I'm still playing with that. Right now I use it mostly for vectorizing images, although I suppose Illustrator would be more suited to the task.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Heaven's Cloud » Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:59 am

I'd suggest Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro 8. I have The GIMP and it's not my favourite. But if you don't have much money, try The GIMP and see how you like it, it's okay, but not the best.
"So it begins" - Theodon, King of Rohan
Heaven's Cloud

Postby Fsiphskilm » Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:35 pm

Also I use Front page for only 2 reasons...I'm t
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby madphilb » Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:28 pm

Volt wrote:Also I use Front page for only 2 reasons...I'm too lazy to memorize and type in the Marque tags and the Background Music tags....

Since when did marquee scripts become part of the HTML standard? Frankly I've got them turned off along with the other annoying things, like re-sizing my browser window and pop-ups. :D

Yep I love the rollover feature in DW. DW has GREAT Table features...The best I've seen, I wouldn't use anything else, and the Style tags are very easy to use. My favorite, But it just gets confused sometimes, So off I go to note pad...

Rollovers are nice... but I've never been to a site where I've said "if it weren't for those rollover animations I wouldn't bother to come back." ]OOhh almost forgot...If you have a picture gallary. What I use is Picassa. Click the Export to webpage feature, It puts it all your pix in thumbs and on seperate web pages then you your self should really convert them (thumbs) into GIFs so your index doesn't take 3 min to load...Then I modify the code and there we go...A very nice expandable HTML gallery. I should post one up for an example.[/QUOTE]
Or, you could do the same thing in one easy step with IrfanView's Thumbnail viewer.

Irfanview rules! :rock: :thumb:

Ahem.... 'cuze me.... got carried away ;)
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby glitch1501 » Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:31 pm

i need to check out infraview when i get home..

Glitch's Photostream

Passion - Kutless
glitch1501

Postby Thomas J. R. » Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:29 pm

Ok, well, the "best" would depend upon your personal oppinion and the amount of money you have. For 3-d art, the absolute best (If I can remeber correctly) is the program Maya. This costs thousands of dollars, if I am correct. The best 2-d program would probably be the newest version of Photoshop or Paintshop Pro. Have fun as always!
Thomas J. R.

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:11 pm

Photo CS is the newest... and if your a student you can get this $599 (aboot) program
with 3 or 4 other Adobe CS programs for $399 !mega discount! :jump: but if thats still out of range I got some program with my printer or comp called photo impression and that does a lot...

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Fsiphskilm » Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:39 pm

I thought Maya was around $500+ or was it
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fsiphskilm

Postby shooraijin » Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:56 pm

Never heard of Animation Master -- and there's a Mac version, too. Hafta check that out :)
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Return to Tutorials