Calculus. Again.

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Calculus. Again.

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:01 pm

So, yeah. I hate this stuff. :(

Anyways, guys, I am so confused. Right now, we're talking about implicit differentiation, and I'm completely lost. The problem I'm trying to work through is 2^2+[square root of (st)]+2t^3-5t=0. I'm supposed to find velocity ds/dt. How on earth do I do that? 0__o Please, help me, someone.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Puritan » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:30 pm

Yay calculus! :P

If you take the problem and differentiate by t it becomes:

(4+(st)^(1/2)+t^3-5t)dt=0dt

which becomes (using the product rule)

(1/2)*(st)^(-1/2)*(t*(ds/dt)+s))+3t^2-5=0

solving for ds/dt you get

ds/dt=(3*t^2-5*(st)^(1/2))*2+s

now you just need to solve the original equation for s (using algebra) and plug that solution into this equation. It's going to be a bit messy, but from this point on it's more messy algebra than any difficult calculus

Now, if you're confused about the product rule (i.e. if you have to differentiate two things multiplied by each other) it goes like this:

d(u*v)/dx=du/dx*v+dv/dx*u

Also, you could be having problems with differentiating (s*t)^1/2. In that case, the rule is d((u*v)^w)/dx = d(y^w)/dx where y=u*v. d(y^w)/dx = w*(y^(w-1))*dy/dx

I hope that helps! I'd be happy to try to give you more advice, but I think you can take it from here.
"...cease not a day from this work; be killing sin or it will be killing you." - John Owen The Mortification of Sin
Puritan

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:08 pm

O.O

29 minutes. Wow Puritan. Just... Wow.
Mithrandir

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:10 pm

That does help. Except I screw up. The equation was actually 2s^2+[the square root of (st)]-4=3t

Sorry!
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Yumie » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:20 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:That does help. Except I screw up. The equation was actually 2s^2+[the square root of (st)]-4=3t

Sorry!

Oh wow. I think Osaka needs a proof-reading tutorial instead of a calculus one. That's terrible.
Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul’s Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.
Yumie

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:00 pm

Yumie wrote:Oh wow. I think Osaka needs a proof-reading tutorial instead of a calculus one. That's terrible.

Hey. No picking on me. I've been working on Calculus for 2 hours and I've gotten NOTHING done. Yeah. I'm somewhat. . . irked.

Mangafanatic

Postby Warrior4Christ » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:59 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:That does help. Except I screw up. The equation was actually 2s^2+[the square root of (st)]-4=3t

Sorry!

Yeah, sure. That was just the next question! :P

2*2(s ^1) * ds/dt + 1/2*(st)^(-1/2) * (ds/dt * t + s * dt/dt) = 3*dt/dt

=> 4s * ds/dt + (ds/dt *t + s)/(2 * (st) ^ (1/2) = 3

The rest is left as an exercise for the reader.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:29 pm

Warrior4Christ wrote:Yeah, sure. That was just the next question! :P

:lol:

She wouldn't do that. She's a good girl. Well, except for that time with the limo and the robot-hampster. I *still* can't get the ketchup stains out of my tux.
Mithrandir

Postby Icarus » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:18 pm

Warrior4Christ wrote:The rest is left as an exercise for the reader.

Classic.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Puritan » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:27 pm

Mithrandir wrote:O.O

29 minutes. Wow Puritan. Just... Wow.

*looks left* *looks right* Can you keep a secret?
For some odd reason, I really love calculus. I can't explain it, but I really like it. When I saw this post I was oddly thrilled to be able to help someone solve a calculus problem. I admit, I'm a nutty engineer, but at least I'm easy to please...
"...cease not a day from this work; be killing sin or it will be killing you." - John Owen The Mortification of Sin
Puritan

Postby Yumie » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:10 pm

Puritan wrote:*looks left* *looks right* Can you keep a secret?
For some odd reason, I really love calculus. I can't explain it, but I really like it. When I saw this post I was oddly thrilled to be able to help someone solve a calculus problem. I admit, I'm a nutty engineer, but at least I'm easy to please...

So, when I take calculus next year, I know who go to to ask questions. . .

YUS!!! :dance:
Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul’s Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.
Yumie

Postby Swordguy » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:11 pm

i would have to agreee with you the calc is fun...once you get the hang of it, make sure you know what is going on though before you move on...though it may take more time it makes things alot easyer
I used to "Follow" Him because i had to....now i would give everything to follow Him.

Me check it out!

Quest for the True Grail

rei wrote:"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."
"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."
"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."
"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."
"Welcome to Corneria!"
"I like swords."

[quote="The forgoten"] .â€
Swordguy

Location: The Largest chunk of concrete these united states know.

Return to Tutorials