Router Issues?

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Router Issues?

Postby Myoti » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:43 pm

This morning, the internet on my computer started acting up. The browser would open, but everything inside stayed white, claiming it couldn't find any of the sites I was looking for, and this problem carried on for the rest of the day (till now, of course).

I tried messing around with the wires for our router and eventually found I could simply plug the ethernet cord for my PC directly into the ethernet port on our Speedstream for DSL (I'm guessing this means it might not share correctly now or such?).

Everything seemed like it should have been working fine, but the problem wasn't fixed till I took the cord from the router and put it to the Speedstream, so I'm guessing there's an issue with the router. Any ideas as to why (and any solutions?)?
Myoti

Postby Icarus » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:58 pm

What kind of router is it?

This actually happens at a place I hang out often, that has a Buffalo wireless router. Last time, it went away when I turned everything off, and then powered up the modem, router, and computer in that order with a minute wait between switching on.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Myoti » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:18 am

Linksys. Non-wireless. And I've plugged my ethernet directly into the modem (don't know why I couldn't think of what it was called...).
Myoti

Postby termyt » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:43 am

My router has done this before. Somehow, it got itself confused and it couldn't pick up it's IP address from my ISP anymore. I reset the router (there should be a reset button it) and re-configured it from scratch to get it running again.

However, is there anything else plugged into the router? If your PC was the only thing plugged into the router, there's really no reason to have the router plugged in at all unless you are also using it's firewall capabilities. But computers can now do that for themselves pretty competently using Windows XP or an anti-virus sweet like McAfee.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Myoti » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:44 am

However, is there anything else plugged into the router? If your PC was the only thing plugged into the router, there's really no reason to have the router plugged in at all unless you are also using it's firewall capabilities. But computers can now do that for themselves pretty competently using Windows XP or an anti-virus sweet like McAfee.

The family computer is to plugged to the modem, then is connected to the router with my computer, but I was able to plug it into the modem through the ethernet port and it works fine.

So then there's no real need to use a router?
Myoti

Postby Mangafanatic » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:41 pm

I have a linksys router that has given me this kind of trouble in the past. Have you tried unplugging the power plug from the back of the modem, leaving it unplugged for atleast a minute or two and then plugging it back into the modem? I can't say why, but this works almost 100% of the time for my modem. Now, granted, it might be a different issue, but it's way too simply not to try, right?
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Myoti » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:59 pm

Yeah, I was wondering about trying that. Seems worth a shot. >.>
Myoti

Postby samuraidragon » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:07 pm

First thing to do is restart it, usually by unplugging it and plugging it back in (unless it has a reset or a power button), and then restarting your modem.

This will solve 95% of router/modem issues.

(I applogize if someone already said this)
-マックスウェル

"My my, the cruelest lies are often told without a word; my my, the kindest truths are often spoken, never heard." Ben Folds, The Last Polka

No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friend - John 15:13
samuraidragon

Postby termyt » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:39 am

Myoti wrote:The family computer is to plugged to the modem, then is connected to the router with my computer, but I was able to plug it into the modem through the ethernet port and it works fine.

So then there's no real need to use a router?

I'm not quite sure of your set up. Generally a router is used like this:

PC----\
. Router-------Modem
PC----/

In this case the router is used the share the modem connection between two computers. But it sounds like your connection is like this:

Your PC-----Router------Family PC------Modem

Did you have to unpl;ug your family's PC from the modem in order to plug yours in? If not, then you don't need the router.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby dyzzispell » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:57 am

Had a Linksys at my old job. Had the exact same problem, after about 2 years. It konked out and we had to buy a new one. The guy at the store said that Linksys is not always reliable with router life spans. I tried everything to fix it, even went to Linksys' online customer service and finally decided it was dead.
Just saying, it's a possibility you may just need a new one. Unfortunately.
In Christ,
Dyzzi

Also on Smackjeeves
"Work In Progress" Facebook Fan Page
My DeviantART

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men..." - Colossians 3:23 NIV
dyzzispell

Return to Tutorials