skin tones in GIMP

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

skin tones in GIMP

Postby BigZam » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:23 pm

anyone know how to do skin tones in GIMP? everytime i try to using the color adjuster thing i always get it wrong.
gone for good...
BigZam

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:25 am

Hmm... I'm fairly sure I've never done what you're asking, but I might be able to help you figure it out, if I had more information. Can you post a before and after pic of what you currently have, then let us know what's not working?
Mithrandir

Postby Syreth » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:46 pm

Here's an idea: you could find a photo with the lighting you're going for of someone with the skin tone you want and just select the color. Might take a bit more time than you want, but I wouldn't know what else to do besides guess and check.

If you want, you can also color the person in another layer and adjust the color from their fairly easily until you're satisfied. Just some ideas.
Syreth

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:49 pm

Skin color isn't... It's a variety of colors, though darker skinned people tend to have more consistant skin tones... White people's skin is actually very colorful, in most cases, so to make realistic skin, you'd need a variety of colors... That's very difficult, and you may not be able to see where colors should be on a black and white picture, making colorization very difficult...

Be sure to read my disclaimer... If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but this is what I've seen with my experience...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby chibiphonebooth » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:13 pm

mmm... skin tones.

like what bob the duck said, they are a whole bunch of colors. what i found is that if you want a warmer skin tone, you should probably go with pinks, reds, oranges and some deep purples for shades. The highlights should always be a really light yellow or pink.

IF you want a cooler skin tone, work more with blues for shades, and greyer reds and oranges. You want more duller colors with a cooler skin tone, using purples and blues as the shading, and light light blue for highlights.

XP

i hoped htat helped!!
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Return to Tutorials