My computer doesn't install CDs...

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

My computer doesn't install CDs...

Postby Sun.Ice » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:32 pm

Hello, I recently bought a game and I tried installing it. I waited for the menu to pop up, but it never came up...So I tried to run it from Windows Explorer but the computer didn't find a CD disk at all. The same thing happened with my other disc, Halo. It started working fine, but after a few months the computer didn't find any disk in the Disc Drive...So my questions are:

Is there some way to install the game other than these???

Also

Is it possible my disc drive is broken?

Thank you for your help.
[SIGPIC]http://www.animegalleries.net/av_cache/1210985522.jpg[/SIGPIC]
Sun.Ice

Postby Jingo Jaden » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:33 pm

I once tried to copy the content of the disk itself to the drive, that helped me.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Sun.Ice » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:34 pm

Jaden Mental wrote:I once tried to copy the content of the disk itself to the drive, that helped me.

How do you do that?

Sorry, I'm not much of a computer expert.
Sun.Ice

Postby Shadowchild » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:35 pm

It does sound that you may have some problems with the drive. It is very possible that it may be damaged. Sounds like it is having some difficulty reading the disk.
[color=indigo]ADOPTED BY:Nami, CephasVII, spectroking, Starfire1
ADOPTED: teen4truth, spirit-me-away, ky kiske, Sage_AlKahira, dragon's bane, phinny5608, mastersquirrel, LeaChan-4ever, Dytae, Tom Dincht, Jack Bond, Mega, meg, Celestra, JadeFox
PET AND GRANDDAUGHTER OF: Banana-chan
SISTER OF: girl ninja, Starfire1, and rusty789, Batosai [/color]

I'm looking for someone to quench my thirst - for all eternity.
Shadowchild

Postby Sun.Ice » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:37 pm

It could be that...It works fine with music CDs...

So if it is broken...Should I call someone to fix it? Is there a company to fix it?
Sun.Ice

Postby Mr. Rogers » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:50 pm

Might it be a good idea to try to reinstall the drivers? If the drive is broken, you can easily install a new one yourself (I have a video I could email you to show you how to do that - don't worry, your computer wont explode if you try to fix something yourself ;-)). If it does need a new drive, they are really cheap now.
Mr. Rogers

Postby Sun.Ice » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:58 pm

Tell me please!
Sun.Ice

Postby Dante » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:48 am

disk drive is probobly broke... or the drivers could be fried... I doubt you have a custom built comp so you won't find the drivers elsewhere, in fact most of the time windows just puts its own drivers in using the CD-ROM tray as plug and play depending on your make of windows. If it isn't the CD-ROM tray itself (hardware or software) we could be talking something as simple as broken wire to the CD ROM hardware (cheaper) or possibly something dead on the motherboard... I doubt that it is a broken ribbon wire as that is generally connected to the harddrive and the CD-ROM, using the CD-ROM as the Slave and the Hard Drive as the master... your hard drive still works right? The other possibility is a small wire that does some other odd function that connects directly to the motherboard itself, and if this is the problem it is either a dead problem on the motherboard or the CD-ROM... but these latter problem are far less likely than a broken CD or fried piece of software (with all the junk on the internet these days these things tend to break down)... Good luck! :)
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby KumoriJinsoku » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:32 am

Pascal wrote:disk drive is probobly broke... or the drivers could be fried... I doubt you have a custom built comp so you won't find the drivers elsewhere, in fact most of the time windows just puts its own drivers in using the CD-ROM tray as plug and play depending on your make of windows. If it isn't the CD-ROM tray itself (hardware or software) we could be talking something as simple as broken wire to the CD ROM hardware (cheaper) or possibly something dead on the motherboard... I doubt that it is a broken ribbon wire as that is generally connected to the harddrive and the CD-ROM, using the CD-ROM as the Slave and the Hard Drive as the master... your hard drive still works right? The other possibility is a small wire that does some other odd function that connects directly to the motherboard itself, and if this is the problem it is either a dead problem on the motherboard or the CD-ROM... but these latter problem are far less likely than a broken CD or fried piece of software (with all the junk on the internet these days these things tend to break down)... Good luck! :)

whoa, I think that is way too much information for him. Plus, remember how he said that music CDs worked for him?

If anything, try reinstalling the drives for it. Look on the CD drive to see if there is a manufactuer and company name on it. Google it and look for their website to download the proper drivers. Once you have downloaded them, install them and try testing it out again.
Zilch wrote:WoW is a beefy level 60 barbarian that's dead set on eating your free time like Doritos.
"Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart."
- 2 Timothy 2:22

The Bump Thread is where I go to post my boredom.
KumoriJinsoku

Return to Tutorials