Drawing...

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Drawing...

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:40 am

I've always wanted to draw, and I've been able to develope more or less a personal style of my own. However I'm not satisfied with it and now want to go take a basic art-course to learn to draw, especially since I want to go for a comic-book look (manga & western-style). I'd just like to know what I'd have to look for in an art-course to help me learn to do it properly.

Thank you!!! :)
bigsleepj

Postby termyt » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:46 am

There's a whole series of books called "How to Draw Anime/Manga" that I would recommend. They give some tips for drawing, but in the end it really comes down to practice. Natural ability is important, too, but practice can make just about anyone "passable."
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:52 am

Thing is I prefer learning from someone. You can't ask questions to a book or ask it specific questions.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby KBMaster » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:08 am

I would look for something with variety. Even if it's not applicable to manga or comic books, it may help to improve your drawing.
KBMaster

Postby Syreth » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:58 am

I took a 2d design class that helped me out a lot. It doesn't necessarily have to much with actual drawing (although it certainly includes drawing) but it helps with page layout, color and other elements of design. I don't know if you have the opportunity for something like that. Other than that, I'm sure any drawing course would be helpful.
Syreth

Postby Esoteric » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:34 pm

Yeah, well rounded is the way to go. There are cartooning courses, which should teach you how to caricturize people and things. 2D design or illustration courses which teach you about layout, contrast issues, focus. Life drawing (drawing from a live model) is really helpful for learning the human figure. For people who are squeemish about seeing naked models, you may be able to find some clothed ones. (my friend went to Biola, and their models wore tights or something).
Basic, run'o the mill art classes without any major focus can be helpful as well, but it depends much more on the teacher. So if you're looking for something like that, see if you can get a recomendation on a teacher from former students. There are definitely good art teachers and bad art teachers, and their students will know.
Esoteric

Postby For_Him » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:30 pm

I read from a few books, and I came to a style of my own.
Brother of Sparx00.

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: BCMac87

[SIZE="4"]My YouTube Channel[/SIZE]
For_Him

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:10 pm

Thanks for the info, everyone. :) I appreciate it. I might buy those manga books in the future Termyt (if all else fails) but thanks for the info.
bigsleepj

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:49 pm

Anime Acadamy requires How to Draw Manga books though. I tried Manga Acadamy before and had to stop after like course two cause they start asking you to do things refrencing pages from the How to Draw series that I didn't own nor did I ever plan to buy.
Scarecrow

Postby Mave » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:18 am

Wish I could help you too but I've never taken art courses before. I'll most likely do that back in Asia. (<.<);; *watches responses to thread*
Mave

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:44 am

[quote="Mave"]Wish I could help you too but I've never taken art courses before. I'll most likely do that back in Asia. (<.<)]

Wait? You had no artistic training?

*dies*
bigsleepj

Postby Mave » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:32 am

Eh, that fact alone should be an encouragement. IMO, artistic training is not a prerequisite to drawing and talent is a God-given gift. :) Sometimes I feel uncomfortable stating that comment, lest I be thought as proud. However, I must acknowledge that God has played a big role in this and take pride in His blessings.

Actually, I did have one water-coloring class that I really hated, for it did not even come close to fulfilling my real interest. Good thing it didn't last long.

I do plan to take some art courses later on. But I've heard about some artists changing their style after taking the educational institutional route - for the worse. For example, some artists end up with a Disney-like style which for some, brings up hostile reactions.

Perhaps it helped that I learned how to develop my style on my own as I didn't have 'interfering' influences. But really, I'm not so sure.
Mave

Postby TurkishMonky » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:14 am

I found that architectural drafting (on paper, not cad) helped immensely with my basic drawing skills. In that class i learned how to draw a straght line, how to draw round arcs, how to draw parallel lines and perpindicular lines, how to erase somthing that was only like 2 mm across without disturbing the other lines, as well as learning basic perspective drawing and shading. However, I wouldn't know about true art classes.
TurkishMonky

Return to Tutorials