Torokun's Tutorial #1

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Torokun's Tutorial #1

Postby Torokun » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:44 pm

So, I got some requests from some people about doing some "how-to" stuff...

Well, I am doing kind of a trial run here at Christiananime... Let's see how it goes...

This if for all of you who are trying to be a better artist. I am sure there are plenty of people here who are better than me. So, if you have any comments, questions, or whatever about this tutorial series, just post it.

Before I start, I gotta say... I usually do not like the step by step how to stuff... Mainly because even though a basic discipline of learning drawing is pretty uniform, once you get to doing your own designs, there is no one way of doing things.

With that said, the method I am showing is a one that western concept artists use a lot. So, I think there is some level of fixed method to this...

Not only that, I used to hate how some in between steps seems like there is a huge gap as to how to do stuff. And I will try to comment on this later.

Also, I did this in Photoshop with Wacom tablet. But, if you don't have these tools, do not worry. In fact, even if you have them, I would recommend you not to use them. I will also deal with this issue later.

This method is rather very simple in concept. Here is what I mean.

Step 1: Using a large brush, lay down the chunk of silouette of your planned design.

Step 2: start erasing the lit parts as well as adding more detailed silouette.

That is all in terms of the description for this method.

Obviously, there are a lot of little things in between. There is no way I can cover the whole thing. But, I will try to cover most part.

Step 1: As I mentioned above, I am using Photoshop. But, I actually recommend you to use "analog" materials. Such as actual papers, and paint. In fact, one of the best material would be a piece of card board box. Or a back of your note book's page that is made out of thin card board box. Next, you can use ink and brush to block the big shape mentione above.

Step 2: If you are actually using a paper and paint, what's described as "erasing the lit parts" will be actually using white paint to paint the lit part.

Here is what I mean. In photoshop, after putting down the big black layers to describe the silouette, I needed to erase away and chisel to get the shape I wanted. But, you can't do that once you actually paint in real life. What you want to do is use something like gesso, or acrylic paint to paint over the black shapes. You can even use white out (mixing it with a paint thinner).

You see, this process is not as simple if you try to do it using actual paper and paint. Part of the huge reason why this method got so popular with an advance of photoshop as an art tool.

Probably more than the method is actually having a clear picture of design in your mind to get from step 1 to step 2. In the actual production process, if you dont' have a clear design in mind, you will go through many variation of step 1. just having different blocks of silouettes that gives you just enough feel of what could be. From those variations, you would choose about 2~3 shapes, and actually take them to step 2.

Believe it or not, there isn't that much of a huge gap of a process between step 1 and step 2. If you really take a look at step 2, it's not really that detailed of a sketch. In fact, there are many parts that are hidden in the dark and just has an indication of a light hitting the object (ex: right arm).

Hardest thing about this (or any drawings for that matter) is transfering the design in your head to the board (or computer screen) with correct or believeable from of anatomy and style. This ofcourse takes years of practice and training.

But, this method is very effective one none the less.

sorry for the long post. I am not very good with words...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
@)[color=DarkGreen]}~`,~[/color]
Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
Torokun

Postby Esoteric » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:51 am

Very cool, Torokun! Thanks for sharing your insights. I shall have to play with this method...
Esoteric

Return to Tutorials