Algebra 1-Standard Form for Linear Equations

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Algebra 1-Standard Form for Linear Equations

Postby Mimiru14 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:45 pm

I really don't get this al all. :bang: Both my book and my teacher confused me even more. I get how to write the formula,but that's about it.Can somebody
please explain this to me?
Mimiru14

Postby Puritan » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:01 pm

I assume you mean a*x+b*y=c (where * is the multipication symbol), which is the standard form for linear equations. a, b, and c are numbers which allow you to solve the equation. Let me give you an example. In this example a=1, b=2, and c=5. The standard form for linear equations now looks like this:

1*x+2*y=5

This means that the numbers you plug in for x and y have to cause this equation to equal 5. For example, y=2 and x=1 are a single solution for this equation because

1*x+2*y=1*1+2*2=1+4=5

Other solutions are: x=5 and y=0, x=0 and y=2.5, x=3 and y=1, and so on.

I would be happy to try to help you more if you have any questions. Just feel free to ask.
"...cease not a day from this work; be killing sin or it will be killing you." - John Owen The Mortification of Sin
Puritan

Postby Slater » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:33 pm

picture linear equations like this... bx + c = 0 ---> x = -c/b

Thus, a question like 3x + 6 = 0 would have b = 3, c = 6. So, x = -c/b ---> x = -2

It's not too hard. If you need a checking system, I wrote a program that can do these kinds of problems for you. Still, you should figure out how to do them on your own as they are extremely important for everything in math.
Slater

Postby Technomancer » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:49 pm

It sometimes helps to think in terms of the slope and the intercepts for this type of equation. For example, if your equation is:
ax+by=c
then y=(c-ax)/b
y=-(a/b)x+c/b

the slope (or steepness) of the plot is -(a/b), and the y-intercept (the point where the equation intersects the y-axis) is equal to c/b. The x-intercept can be solved for in a similar manner.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Return to Tutorials