How do you post offline?

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

How do you post offline?

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:46 pm

Just curious but I see where some people post offline so I was wondering
how you do it.
mitsuki lover

Postby Arnobius » Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:50 pm

I suspect that's a mod/admin secret...
Arnobius

Postby Alice » Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:54 pm

It is my secret. But I will never tell.
Alice

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:58 pm

It isn't possible, speaking on strict terms. If you aren't online, there is no one to post, unless you created a bot of some sort (which, one could argue, actually isn't you, so while your account is online you are not).

However, moderators and administrators can hide their presence online, so they always appear offline. This post is an example.
uc pseudonym

Postby Arnobius » Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:31 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:It isn't possible, speaking on strict terms. If you aren't online, there is no one to post, unless you created a bot of some sort (which, one could argue, actually isn't you, so while your account is online you are not).

However, moderators and administrators can hide their presence online, so they always appear offline. This post is an example.

To keep you from being deluged with PMs as soon as you log on?
Arnobius

Postby shooraijin » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:29 pm

Or the groupies. You just need some time off from that once in awhile. ;)
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Arnobius » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:03 pm

[quote="shooraijin"]Or the groupies. You just need some time off from that once in awhile. ]
Maybe if you changed your avvy to Happosai, it would help... ;)
Arnobius

Postby Alice » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:17 pm

Tell people you aren't really a doctor, and maybe the groupiness will stop.

Seriously. Girls are programmed by their mothers to want to marry doctors from a young age. It's like a conspiracy!!!!

I plan to buck the trend and marry... Hatori!!!!!!!!!! Oops. :red:
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby shooraijin » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:39 am

Okay, I'm not really a doctor. ... Was that convincing enough?
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:35 am

AnimeHeretic wrote:To keep you from being deluged with PMs as soon as you log on?

That, but also because trolls will have no way of knowing if a moderator is truly online or not.
uc pseudonym

Postby Alice » Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:47 am

shooraijin wrote:Okay, I'm not really a doctor. ... Was that convincing enough?

Works for me. But I wasn't your groupie anyway.
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby Kaligraphic » Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:36 pm

You can post offline if you have direct database access (Insert into posts, values(12512,1251,2215,109,"This was posted from offline. Ph34r teh 1337 SQL p0w4h!");) (I actually have no idea what the actual database structure is that vBulletin uses, so don't bother copy/pasting that.)

The thing is, it would probably only work for Mithrandir. (#109) I know that I, for one, don't have insert privileges on the database, and I doubt that too many others do either. (this is a good thing)

Of course, if you post and then log out real fast...

But the "Online" or "Offline" on the left just means at the moment you're viewing that page, it doesn't mean when it was posted, if there was confusion there.

Oh, and Shooraijin - the shop's almost sold out of your photo, if you could autograph another boxful or two that'd be great. If not, well, things could get a little scary down here.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:03 pm

Sorry Kali, you're totally off. There is NO access to the backend database on this system except through the main I/F. And there's no GUI I/F either. ;) I probably COULD do it from the CLI, but you're talking about modifying about 9 tables on a single insert. See the vBulletin site for more info.
Mithrandir

Postby Arnobius » Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:44 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:That, but also because trolls will have no way of knowing if a moderator is truly online or not.

Ah, that is a good idea. If they know, they can just cause havoc when they know someone's not there.
Arnobius

Postby shooraijin » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:26 pm

> Oh, and Shooraijin - the shop's almost sold out of your photo, if you could autograph another boxful or two that'd be great. If not, well, things could get a little scary down here.

My Sharpie's dry. Pencil okay?

shooraijin

Postby Kaligraphic » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:44 pm

Wow, nine tables? Impressive. I actually had guessed about three, but I guess that shows how little I know of vBulletin's internals.

And Shooraijin, you can use my pen.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:14 pm

Kaligraphic wrote:But the "Online" or "Offline" on the left just means at the moment you're viewing that page, it doesn't mean when it was posted, if there was confusion there.

You make a legitimate point, but looking at your comment the wrong way it is actually humorous. Can you imagine if each post's "Online/Offline" part only registered the user's status at the time they made that post? [Yes, you can all imagine that, but you know what I meant.]
uc pseudonym

Return to Tutorials