printing for iron-on t-shirt designs?

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

printing for iron-on t-shirt designs?

Postby Esoteric » Sun May 15, 2005 2:12 pm

Does anyone out there have some knowledge about using iron-on tranfers for making your own t-shirt designs. What I basically want to know is, how well do printer ink transfers hold up with wear and tear? Do they look good?

Currently I paint shirts when i want to make a design, but my detail options are limited with this method. I'm just wondering if iron-ons would be a professional looking option.
Esoteric

Postby Debitt » Sun May 15, 2005 3:21 pm

From my previous experience (which was a while ago to be 100% honest) the run of the mill print-out iron on designs don't hold up for very long. I tried it with some average quality iron ons and the shirt lasted througha bout 3 washes.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Esoteric » Mon May 16, 2005 3:43 pm

hmmm, i suspected as much. Thanks for the input!
Esoteric

Postby rsnumber2 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:22 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I have made several tshirts in the past few years. Results can be great, provided three things: Good transfer paper-Good printer- How you make the transfer (ie very little intricate cuts/corners). The other tip is to wash your shirt and let it hang dry or pur it in the drier inside out. Lastly, fold the shirt so that the design is not folded at all, or hang it up. Personally, I'd rather have 4-5 dollars in a cool and original shirt that I can wear until I tire of the design, and make another, than pay good money for a shirt that I may not care for in a few months/years. Plus, you can tweak your design based on reactions.

I'm not exactly the most exciting person to be around, and I generally like to stay home, or hang with close friends. I was always getting invited out by people though (good thing, I guess). So I made a bright colorful happy shirt with a sunburst that says "I really enjoy being here..." That has gotten alot of laughs, but now that everyone has seen it, it will son be retired. So I won't miss my 5 buck invested in it. I've had it for about 9 months, and have worn the crud out of it. So, if you're still into the idea of printing your own tshirts, just PM me if you have any questions.
It takes bad jokes to appreciate the good ones.

rsnumber2.com - A directory of all things rsnumber2.
Goufy Shumi - People think my shumi is goufy.

Titus 2:11-14 - What I strive for.
rsnumber2

Location: As a square peg, I am currently trying to fit in a round hole.

Return to Tutorials