what are 4 elements of a shakespeare comedy and tragedy?

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

what are 4 elements of a shakespeare comedy and tragedy?

Postby SilverFang » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:29 pm

I need to know for a class.

thanks in advance.
SilverFang

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:30 pm

I'd be happy to help, but could you be more specific? What I'd need is more specifically what qualifies as an "element." Just a common thread in all Shapespeare's plays (for example, five acts, each taking a specific role in the overall plot)? Or are we speaking of general styles of the two genres (rising action, climax, etc)?
uc pseudonym

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:13 am

1st step - incomprehensible old english
2nd step - impossible love triangle
3rd step - unfunny comedy
4th step - high level of bordem

There. You're all set!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Hephzibah » Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:42 am

LOL! That's so it W4J!

Anyway, on the serious aspect. I dont know all four, but I would say that one would be Supernatural elements. Almost all of his plays contain references to gods or godesses (sp?)

Edit:
I did a search, and found this :

Here are the four main elements of tragic figures.
One: tragic figures are noble figures who are somehow better than we are.
Two: they suffer a reversal of fortune and recognize the consequences of their actions.
Three: In art, a tragedy is the imaginative depiction of the tragic figure.
Four: Shakespeare depicted his tragic figures through language.
http://www.pbs.org/standarddeviantstv/transcript_shakespeare.html#figures

I dont know if that is what you want or not.
Hephzibah

Postby SilverFang » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:23 am

thanks for all of you help, I found it just beffor I went bed last night. thank again for all of you trouble.
SilverFang

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:50 pm

I realize this was a joke, but I'll speak to one thing regardless. Allow me to also point out that while I'm not a fan of Shakespeare, I'm not a vicious detractor, either.

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:3rd step - unfunny comedy

Actually, some of it wasn't that bad... in the 14th century. I'll credit the plays with having humor, but I disagree with those who say that modern readers should find them funny. Humor is controlled by culture, and American or English culture today is extremely different from that of Shakespeare's time.
uc pseudonym

Postby termyt » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:32 am

And, if it must be said, a lot of Shakespeare would be on the "do not discuss" list for it's rather vulgar and suggestive terminology. Still, I thought Midsummer's Night Dream to be hilarious.
termyt

Postby Hephzibah » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:17 pm

I loved Much Ado About Nothing ;) Ever see the movie with Kenneth Branagh, Emma Thompson and Denzel Washington in it? Classic! I love it :grin:
Hephzibah

Postby SilverFang » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:24 pm

I as well thought Much Ado About Nothing, was a funny movie.
SilverFang

Postby Ingemar » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:25 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:3rd step - unfunny comedy

Sigh. I would hope that a fellow member of the Commonwealth would have more appreciation of the Bard. Actually, Shakespeare's humor was rather baudy, and his plays in general were (at the time) considered quite low brow. When you consider the fact that his theatre was situated between a brothel and a dogfighting pit, you'll no longer think of Shakespeare as material for stuffy shirted people.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby ClosetOtaku » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:22 pm

How to tell a Shakespearean Tragedy from a Comedy:

TRAGEDY: Everybody dies.

COMEDY: Everybody gets married.

Hope that didn't make for any spoilers...
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:16 pm

Ingemar wrote:Sigh. I would hope that a fellow member of the Commonwealth would have more appreciation of the Bard. Actually, Shakespeare's humor was rather baudy, and his plays in general were (at the time) considered quite low brow. When you consider the fact that his theatre was situated between a brothel and a dogfighting pit, you'll no longer think of Shakespeare as material for stuffy shirted people.

Indeed not (though it has become such, now). Thinking of that has always made me wonder what generations down the road will be reading. When I think of low brow material, I don't think of classics... but neither did the critics of Shakespeare's time.
uc pseudonym

Postby Ingemar » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:46 pm

Oh! There's one more--

ROMANCE: You think it will be a tragedy, but no one dies in the end (example: The Tempest)
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Return to Tutorials