Time Management

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Time Management

Postby Maledicte » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:56 pm

this is not an actual assignment, but for personal reasons and any one with similar problems may benefit...

I have a lot of things on my mind. Or rather, in it.
I have a terribly huge amount of stories tearing like heck through my brain...10 novels, 2 comics series, 1 anime series and countless more waiting in the wings...
And I don't have time to write them!!
I have school, driving lessons, chores, church, and other responsiblilties...plus I also draw, paint, play the piano, watch the occasional anime, read lots, and scour the internet for either professional (aka homework) reasons or for my own pleasure. Where can i get the time to write all this stuff down????
(I HAVE written some...four chapters, lots of dialogue, little notes scribbled thither and yon and countless re-writes)
PLEASE HELP!!!
Maledicte

Postby LorentzForce » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:22 am

I recommend you to get a notepad with a pen, or a tiny notebook (laptop). Whenever you have the time, whereever it is (maybe not the shower time) write/type on. You'll be suprised how much you can get it written in a week's time.
LorentzForce

Postby agasfas » Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:09 pm

plus I also draw, paint, play the piano, watch the occasional anime, read lots, and scour the internet for either professional (aka homework) reasons or for my own pleasure.

First off it sounds like you have a lot of hobbies: art piano etc... It's okay not to always do your hobbies every minute of everyday. Cut back a little on some things, not necessarily giving it up. THis will create more time for your writing. Other suggestions....
Easy, just cut down on some anime watching and internet searching (for pleasure).
Myself and many others goto college, work and do other various things while still finding time to do the things we enjoy.
The key here is moderation.
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine.." Prov 17:22

The word 'impossible' isn't in my dictionary... but I don't really have a dictionary you know? - Eikichi Onizuka.
Sorry, but I stop being a teacher at 5 o'clock. - Eikichi Onizuka.
agasfas

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:22 am

I have exactly your problem. Hence, I am uncertain how helpful I can be, in that I have not entirely overcome it myself.

For one, I would suggest that the most important of projects are worth sacrificing hobby time for. I would suggest making a trade of similar things. Instead of finishing a particular novel, why not write on your own?

Also, I suggest writing in whatever venue is swiftest for you. I personally type far faster than I can write by hand, so when I write I always do it on a computer. On the other hand, story outlining (and storyboarding, in the case of comics) comes easier for me by hand, and can also be done in small minutes in between other things (classes, etc).

Lastly, focus on one project at a time, or those that are applicable to the moment. To use an example from myself, I am currently working on far too many manga projects. Most of these, however, there is currently no artist for. Hence, I generally do not put effort into them, instead focusing my attention on that which will generate the most final material the soonest. Or in your case, an anime series is probably aiming quite high for the moment.

As to novels, I would suggest finding the one you have clearest in your own mind and then write only on it until you have a basic manuscript done. Assuming that you have a few publishers in mind, start sending it (most New York publishers do not accept simultaneous submissions, so it will take quite a long time) and work on the next novel in the meantime.
uc pseudonym

Return to Tutorials