Cosplay Help o_O

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Cosplay Help o_O

Postby Zero One » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:23 pm

Ok so I have two help threads =P but anyways just got home from my first con I just dressed up as a samurai, when people asked I told them I was random villager in inu-yasha that died in Episode 35 (don't know if there were any random villagers in ep. 35 hehe) but anyways I really wanna get more into cosplay. Do any of you do so? Do you make your own costumes? Got any tips on how I can get a better costume? and any extra stuff you could please input, there's another con I'm goin to in March so I wanna maybe try to have somethin better by then, if it comes right down to it I'll just order a Shinsengumi Haori coat and tell everyone I'm a random Shinsengumi member :sweat:
Image"I belong to the warrior in whom the old ways have joined the new" - Katsumoto
Zero One

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:02 pm

Try ebay, they list alot of anime costume.

Also, there are alot of simple costumes. You can get patterns that you can alter and make a pretty simple costume.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Cedahlia » Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:22 pm

I am going to my first convention at the end of March/beginning of May. (Anime Boston) Recently I have been looking for alot of cosplaying stuff too. I'll send you a couple of links to sites that sell great cosplay outfits over PM. I hope that helps!
By the way, I am going as Kagura from Fruits Basket. A friend gave me the s/n of a friend of his that offered to make me a Kagura outfit! ^_^ I can't wait!
"Not believing is letting each other down, that's how it is."

~Lacus Clyne
Cedahlia

Postby Savior_Sora » Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:24 pm

Anyone know where I could get an outfit of an Unknown from Kingdom Hearts? I SOOO wanna dress as the Duel Weilder XD!!!
-"How do we prove we exist...maybe we don't exist."

-"I feel sorry for the dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac...they stay up all night wondering if there is a dog."

-"It's not the fall that kills you...It's the sudden stop at the end."

Savior_Sora

Postby Cedahlia » Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:48 pm

I know of this site where they make nearly any anime/manga-like cosplay outfit, even original ones. Want me to send you the link over PM?
"Not believing is letting each other down, that's how it is."

~Lacus Clyne
Cedahlia

Postby desperado » Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:40 pm

i would take it as well
desperado

Postby Aka-chan » Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:46 pm

I sew my own. Usually, I'll draw out what I want the costume to basically look like (leaving extra details off to be added later). Then I usually find something similar that I own to help make the pattern (for example: I used a bathrobe as a starting pattern for my Saiyuki Sanzo robe) and sew off of that. It's best to start out with simple costumes if you haven't done this before or just buy what you can.
Aka-chan

Postby Zero One » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:32 pm

wow never thought I'd get any respones on this, thanks sure I'll take any links, I found some people that like live 10 mins away from me but they never replied so I guess they don't want my business >_< thanks
Image"I belong to the warrior in whom the old ways have joined the new" - Katsumoto
Zero One

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:14 am

Yeah, I'm dying to Cosplay as Kagura. I found a pattern for a top that looks just like her dress. I think I'm gonna buy the pattern and just alter it into a dress. I also want to cosplay as Tohru, but I can't find a right pattern for the top!!! AHH!! (I can't even really find a good one to alter. . . looks like I'm gonna have to make on on my own. *sigh)
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Jasdero » Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:51 pm

I haven't found any site that offers good cosplaying costumes at reasonable prices... T.T So, I guess I'll have to make all of them... XD;;;
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby desperado » Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:10 pm

i cant find any site that has good stuff for men...
desperado

Postby Cedahlia » Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:47 pm

That's cool that you can make your own outfits! I have had no sewing experience whatsoever, but am waiting to get lessons from my friend's stepmom. ^_^ She owned a business at one point, but found that when money was involved, sewing wasn't any fun anymore.
Cedahlia

Postby Heart of Sword » Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:56 pm

I am going to my first convention at the end of March/beginning of May. (Anime Boston)

See ya there! :sweat:

On the cosplay making note, check out eBay. But a word of advice, look for costumes made by "Cosplay Sanctuary".
Heart of Sword's Rhapsody

Money, get away
Get a good job with good pay and you're okay
And all and all you're just another brick in the wall
Shoutin’ in the street gonna take on the world some day
But Bismallah will not let me go
Because I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

Tommy used to work on the docks
Union's been on strike
Bright eyes burning like fire
And exposing every weakness
However carefully hidden by the kids

Who will love a little Sparrow
Who's traveled far and cries for rest
Spare him his life from this monstrosity

I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all
And if the band youre in starts playing different tunes
We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you!

[Pink Floyd fan listening to Queen and hugging trees which is also known as taking care of God's creation with a pair of headphones on listening to Nightwish as loud as possible while writing a novel on a computer in the middle of a field filled with Wolves.]

[Bassist...finally learning Money]
Heart of Sword

Postby desperado » Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:35 pm

ill do that i want one for january (if i can find anyone around here to go with me ~_~) to ohyocon (or however its spelled)
desperado

Postby Sephiroth » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:21 am

if it comes right down to it I'll just order a Shinsengumi Haori coat and tell everyone I'm a random Shinsengumi member

heh heh, if i ever find any Scottish Anime Conventions i wanna go as Okita from Peace Maker Kurogane :cool:
Largo (Megatokyo): "Its this thing... and its like, cool... and it does things... cool things!"

Ph34r t3h Cu73 0n3z!
Sephiroth

Postby Uriah » Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:43 pm

Well.. Real weapons might make your costume look cooler :P
Uriah

Postby Mangafanatic » Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:51 pm

Uriah wrote:Well.. Real weapons might make your costume look cooler :P

Yeah the hand cuffs will be even more cool when you get arrested for carrying that real weapon. ;) j/k

Mangafanatic

Postby Aka-chan » Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:55 pm

Yeah, be warned that conventions tend to have pretty strict weapons rules. Stuff like: it cannot shoot anything, not even water, it can't look like a real gun, and if it's a sword or sword-like weapon, it should be in a sheath at all times with no metal showing. Those are the usual basics.
Aka-chan

Postby Souba » Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:55 pm

Some other sites you might want to check out are cosplay.com of cosplaylab.com they have a huge community more than willing to help out. :) You can also check out some of my costumes here: I may go (Lord willing) to the Austin con coming up this Jan, it will be my first anime con, as I've only gone to scifi cons. :)
Well hope that helps.
God Bless,
Souba
@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~

[color="RoyalBlue"]We are not saved by the Law, but by Grace[/color]

@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~
Souba

Location: Second star to the right and straight on until morning!

Return to Tutorials