Windows XP Themes

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Windows XP Themes

Postby Jasdero » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:20 am

I have a question for anyone who knows about changing your Windows XP Theme. Okay, I went to this site: WinCustomize and I downloaded a whole bunch of really awesome WindowsBlinds, Icons, LogOn, BootSkins, and SysMetrixes, all of which were in sets. But now I don't know what to do to make them work. At first, I had that IconPackager program, but it kept on giving me some annoying little notices that wouldn't close, and I would have to end the process manually, and I hate doing that. So, I did a complete system restore, and took out all the programs from my computer. I still have the theme files and folders in my computer, and I do want to use them, but I have no idea how. Does anyone think they could walk me through this somehow? Thanks. : )
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby MsShinobu » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:07 pm

I'm sorry you had to go thru all that.

This is what I use and I really like it! It's called "Styles XP" they have a free demo available for download. http://www.tgtsoft.com/

There are some really pretty styles too, the great part is, it does it all for you. You just choose the syle you want and click on ok and it changes everything for you. Of course, you can also customize anything as well ^^

Here is a page that offers many free styles for use with Styles XP http://www.themexp.org/index.php

Hope you like ^^
MsShinobu

Postby Jasdero » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:05 pm

oh, well that's cool. thanks. : ) i just dislike using trials and stuff... and if i can get something through freeware, i'd rather do it that way. but still, if nothing else works, i'll definitely be using your recommendation. thanks a lot.

Jasdero

Postby glitch1501 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:40 pm

there is this thing on neowin.net called uxtheme.dll
they have a tutorial on how to install it, but the board is down right now

it does the same thing as stylexp, but it does it throught the windows desktop properties

once the board comes back up ill post instructions

*edit*
here is the link
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=140707

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby Jasdero » Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:13 pm

oh cool, i'll need to investigate that asap. thanks.

Jasdero

Postby Archan » Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:45 am

Hum,

Well honestly I just find it easier to manually load anything you want to customize and then save it as a theme from the properties on you Desktop.

Also, it just assures you that things are being changes properly and more directly, most customizations can be achieved through your control panel (For mouse scollers and things of this nature) while other things (Desktop Icons and wallpaper and things of that sort ) can be handled through your desktop settings.

That the only sure fire way that I know.

God bless,
Archan
1 Peter 5:10 "But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you."
Archan

Location: Hold on, "Baratta Klaatu Nikto" Now Currently fighting evil, saving puppies, that sort of

Postby Master Kenzo » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:13 pm

I use StyleXP as well...it works brilliantly. And I believe you are referring to the window borders, taskbar, and start menu skins, right? Because you can't edit those with Windows alone. It's actually really stupid of Microsoft not to make installing custom themes possible without a lot of work...And BTW, SysMetrix is a program designed to show the status of your computer (time, CPU usage, RAM, etc.) and I prefer Samurize anyway.
I'm back to make a post or two every couple years...
Master Kenzo

Return to Tutorials