Lunitidal Interval for Toronto

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Lunitidal Interval for Toronto

Postby Wild Eagle » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:46 pm

I recently got a Casio watch which can tell you the different moon phases and wheather it is high or low tide during that time. The only problem is that, for all that data to be accurate I need my "Home Site" data which includes GMT Differential, Longitude and Lunitidal Interval. I have the correct data for the first two but I can't seem to find out the Lunitidal Interval. If anyone knows the Lunitidal Interval for Toronto or knows a site that has that kind of information I would greatly appriciate(sp?) it. Thank you :)
"Have mercy on me O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion, blot out my transgressions" Psalm 51:1

"Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter, you will restore my life again; from the depths of the earth, you will again bring me up." Psalm 71:20

"An eye for an eye, will only make the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Wild Eagle

Postby Technomancer » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:32 am

The Great Lakes don't have tides....
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Wild Eagle » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:56 am

Technomancer wrote:The Great Lakes don't have tides....

They do have tides...but they aren't as large as compared to ocean tides. Maybe that's the reason why they don't have a lunitidal time interval...
"Have mercy on me O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion, blot out my transgressions" Psalm 51:1

"Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter, you will restore my life again; from the depths of the earth, you will again bring me up." Psalm 71:20

"An eye for an eye, will only make the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Wild Eagle

Postby Technomancer » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:06 am

Well yes, there are going to some gravitational effects on the lakes, but these are not going to be easily measureable. You can expect that wave action will pretty much swamp any tidal variation. For example, after doing some digging, the spring tide turns out to be less than two inches; ordinary tide levels are significantly less. Given the preponderance of weather effects on the water levels of the lakes, they are typically classified as non-tidal bodies.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Return to Tutorials