Difference between Wallpaper,Sigs and Banners

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Difference between Wallpaper,Sigs and Banners

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:22 pm

What's the difference between a Wallpaper and a Sig and a Banner?
Also how do I go about adding them so that my posts don't look so
dull?
mitsuki lover

Postby glitch1501 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:25 pm

they are all different sizes

a wallpaper is meant to be your desktop background
a sig is a picture of reasonable size that you can add to yourself through the controlpanel
and a banner is something like an ad on a site

pretty much...

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby Mangafanatic » Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:53 pm

But what you REALLY need, is an avatar. That's the little picture under your user name.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:29 pm

*SIGH* I know that.
What I'm looking for is a free Dual! avatar somewhere.What I love to get is either
Mitsuki Sanada or Mitsuki Rara or D.If I had used my username from the Anime
Cafe I guess I wouldn't have this problem.
mitsuki lover

Postby glitch1501 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:24 pm

i think i can find one for you

here ya go
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby Kaligraphic » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:36 am

A wallpaper is the picture you put on your computer's desktop. It would have a resolution of 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, or 1600x1200.

A banner is a web-standard image size designed for advertising, 468x60. It can also refer to banner variants like the half-banner (234x60) and, somewhat less commonly, the vertical banner (120x240).

A sig is a block appended to your posts, and helps to distinquish you from other posters. Some (many) people include graphical images, often displaying their username, but others (again, many) prefer text sigs. A sig image is an image designed for such use.

Don't go around putting wallpapers in your posts unless you're posting in the wallpapers part of the site. Elsewhere, it would just hog bandwidth.

To add a sig, click on "user cp" and then "edit signature". this will bring you to a section where you can (no surprise here) edit your signature. If you make or obtain a sig image, you will need to find a host for it before you can put it up. I can host sig images or suggest a good free host if you'd like. The way you put it in is by using img tags like linking to any image on these boards - standard vBcode.

Of course, you have to keep things reasonable - no 15MB animated gifs or 700 images, we don't want to kill users on 56k dialup. I favour the use of either A: up to six lines of text OR B: one image of up to 500x200 (actually, I think this was the site that said up to 470, so 470x200). (sliced images count as one if they display as one.)
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:29 am

glitch1501 wrote:i think i can find one for you

here ya go

Yeah,the first is what I am looking for.Now the question is does anyone know how I go about it getting it put on?
mitsuki lover

Postby Mangafanatic » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:00 am

I do indeed. Right click on the avatar you like and save it to your computer. Once you've save it, scroll upto the top of the page and hit "user cp" (it's right under the little anime angels button). Once you're in the "user cp", click on the edit signature link. That should take you to a page where you can upload an avatar from your computer. Upload it, save and you should do it!
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:00 pm

I tried but found out that there's a section for adding avatars there.So I suppose that's where one is supposed to go to add the avatars?
The whole process makes me a bit confused really.But I will attempt it again.
If I can't get it right you'll hear me scream!
mitsuki lover

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:07 pm

glitch1501 wrote:i think i can find one for you

here ya go

I think I'm gonna need help setting the avatar up.
mitsuki lover

Postby Mangafanatic » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:27 pm

Do you know how to save the avatar (you do it like you would save any other picture.)

Do that much, and then we'll work from there, k?

Mangafanatic

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:17 pm

Ok,but I do seem to have problems with trying to get these things going.I also had to have help with my avvie at the Anime Cafe Forum.Either it shows how still
computer illiterate I am or else I am totally useless when it comes to these things.
mitsuki lover

Postby Jasdero » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:08 pm

I'm not sure.. but I think this might help you~

http://www.christiananime.net/showpost.php?p=317134&postcount=4
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:46 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:Do you know how to save the avatar (you do it like you would save any other picture.)

Yes,I have it saved.
mitsuki lover

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:02 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:Do you know how to save the avatar (you do it like you would save any other picture.)

I don't have a file name for it it's saved under File 1.
I must admit this is a bit harder than when I was setting up my avatar
at the Anime Cafe Forum.
What do we do now?
mitsuki lover

Postby Mr_Anderson » Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:12 pm

the first one is 2 big, its 100x67 pixles, that is the link thing, could you possibly shrink it glitch?
Shatterheart wrote:Sarcasm is like a butt...everyone has some...and some need to be kicked.
Mr_Anderson

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:08 pm

That's what I just asked after I tried to set it up.Is the second one small enough?
If we can't shrink the first one,and does anyone know how or if that's possible,
I will have to go with the second one.
Which is ok by me,I like D today.
mitsuki lover

Postby Mangafanatic » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:09 pm

I already fixed it for you. Check-y your PM, if you would. :)

Mangafanatic

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:29 am

Thanks I already did.
mitsuki lover

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:57 pm

Ok,I don't usually do this but I just want to say that the avatar is finally up!
mitsuki lover

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:17 pm

I would like to thank all of you for the help you gave me with setting up the
avatar.I don't think I could have done it without help,especially for Osaka's
patient guidance.
Whenever I decide(and if ever)to get a sig I know who to ask for help now!
mitsuki lover

Return to Tutorials