Anyone know Romanji?? I need help...

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Anyone know Romanji?? I need help...

Postby ally-san » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:53 pm

i wanna know how to say artist or artistic in romanji. Can someone translate for me? i tried to figure it out on my own but there's so many translations. So if someone could give me a bunch of examples and what they mean maybe i can find the one thats suitable. It would help a bunch...Thanks!! :)
"The only consolation I find in your immediate presence is your ultimate absence."

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Lord I give you my heart
I give you my soul
I live for you alone
Every breathe that I take
Every moment I'm awake
Lord have your way in me..
ally-san

Postby Arnobius » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:16 pm

You realise that roumaji ( ローマ字 ) is just English letters don't you? (rouma = Roman; Ji = characters).

If you mean just transliterating the English word into something pronounced by the Japanese, you'd get a-chi-su-to [ アーチスト ] (artist-- the Japanese don't have a natural "ti" sound. It's pronounced "chi") according to my dictionary.

The Japanese word for art is geijutsu which is rendered 芸術 with some various suffixes attached for words like artist (geijutsuka) and artistic (geijutsu-teki).

Hope this helps (and hope the JP characters come through OK). Otherwise I'd need more info.
Arnobius

Postby Aka-chan » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:29 pm

Or, "artistic" would be "aachisuchikku" or "aachisutikku" (I'd go with the second one personally, using the the katakana "te" with a small katakana "i" next to it.)
Aka-chan

Postby ally-san » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:06 pm

oh ok, well then i guess what i wanna know is how to say Artist Ally in japanese or Artistic one Ally
thanks for the help guys :)
ally-san

Postby Mr. Rogers » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:31 pm

aatisuto - アーティストally - aari (i would think) - アーリ

aatisuto aari -
アーティスト アーリ
Mr. Rogers

Postby Arnobius » Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:21 pm

sldr4Christ1985 wrote:aatisuto - ア][color=black]ally - aari (i would think) - アーリ

aatisuto aari -
アーティスト アーリ

The Japanese-English dictionaries spell it achisuto.
They don't employ the テ+イ as often as we would expect.

It all depends on what Ally san wants: アーチスト アーリー or 芸術家のアーリ
Arnobius

Postby ally-san » Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:46 pm

ok sorry if i confused u guys! um i guess what i wanna say is that im looking for a new screename and i want it to be artistally or artistically but i wanna write it in japanese but i dont know the correct translation is and i looked in the dictionary and its
geijutsuka for artist,painter
and i went to this website and it has a bunch of different translations like
ekaki for artist, painter
or gaka
and a bunch of others. its at animelab.com and i put in the word artist and it shows u all the different translations, so which one do i pick?
i just dont want to pick the wrong one and it mean something different than what i wanted ya know? i want it to be exact and i dont want the word to be too complicated or long just for the purpose of not having a really long screenname that no one understands
thanks again! hope that helps u understand y im asking more
ally-san

Postby Tycho » Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:01 pm

How about this: Artistic: げいじゅつてき (geijyutsuteki). Its an adjective, so what you want is.

geijyutsuteki arii. Artistic Ally.

And to avoid future confusion, romanji is just writting japanese in roman characters. Like Hai instead of はい。

[Edit] Its ge, not ke. Stupid fingers, quit finging....
"There are obviously many things which we do not understand, and may never be able to."
[Leela, Ship Operations AI, UESC Marathon]

"Its time to metaphorically make a deal with the devil. And when I say devil, I mean Robot Devil. And when I say metaphorically, I mean "Get your coat""

[Bender, Futurama]
Tycho

Postby Arnobius » Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:58 pm

That works well.
Incidentally, it's not romanji, it's roumaji ( ローマ字 )

(General info for whoever's interested)
Roumaji is the Western alphabet (Hai)
Katakana is usually used for foreign words ( ハイ ). Prior to the end of WWII, this was considered the "men's script"
Hiragana is used for verb tenses and words where the kanji are not known. ( はい ). Prior to the end of WWII, this was considered "women's script"
Kanji are the Chinese characters that everyone thinks of when they think Japanese writing, looking something like this: 馬鹿 (In case you were wondering how to write "baka", that's the first word to pop in my head to use as an example)
Arnobius

Postby Aka-chan » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:06 pm

[quote="Tycho"]How about this: Artistic: げ]
Only, since Keijutsuteki (the alternate spelling for keijyutsuteki) is an adjective, you'd want "keijutsuteki na arii". ^__^ The "na" shows that the adjective is modifying that particular noun.
Aka-chan

Postby Arnobius » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:23 pm

Ah yes. It makes me wonder how I was able to study the language for so long without going crazy...
Arnobius

Postby Tycho » Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:31 pm

Aka-chan wrote:Only, since Keijutsuteki (the alternate spelling for keijyutsuteki) is an adjective, you'd want "keijutsuteki na arii". ^__^ The "na" shows that the adjective is modifying that particular noun.

That only applies for 'na' adjectives. Which of course, geijutsuteki is. I just couldn't remember if the 的]That works well.
Incidentally, it's not romanji, it's roumaji ( ローマ字 ).[/QUOTE]
Man, I just can't win today. Thank you for shattering two years of blissful ignorance. Mmmmm, bliss .... :bang:
"There are obviously many things which we do not understand, and may never be able to."
[Leela, Ship Operations AI, UESC Marathon]

"Its time to metaphorically make a deal with the devil. And when I say devil, I mean Robot Devil. And when I say metaphorically, I mean "Get your coat""

[Bender, Futurama]
Tycho

Postby Arnobius » Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:36 pm

Tycho wrote:Man, I just can't win today. Thank you for shattering two years of blissful ignorance. Mmmmm, bliss .... :bang:

Don't worry about it. I thought it was 'romanji' to until I had to look it up to see how it was written in Japanese. Then in Fushigi Yuugi I always thought that Nakago was called "Nagako." I was watching the series subbed and thinking "Those idiots spelled it wrong." Then I got out my manga version and went oops :sweat:

Then there were all the times I turned the n into m for words like senpai and kanpai (though I blame that on AnimEigo's subtitles).
Arnobius

Return to Tutorials