Creating animation using photoshop. *pokes brain*

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Creating animation using photoshop. *pokes brain*

Postby Mangafanatic » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:36 pm

*Pokes brain* Poor thing. I think I killed it.

So, here's the deal. I've just started messing around with Photoshop 7, and I read a tutorial on how to make an animation. Well, it looked easy enough. And I still bet it is-- but there's somethign I'd DEFINITELY doing very wrong.

I've created enough frames, but my problem is--- they all look the same! I stinkin' can't figure out how to put a different image in the next frame. The first one's like it should be, but how do I put a DIFFERENT image in teh next frame and the one after that! Ack!

Thanks for any help, and I apologize for being a bit of a dunce this evening. Anti-histamines do evil things to me *sneeze*.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Kat Walker » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:59 pm

I think you need ImageReady to do that. It usually comes bundled with Photoshop, however I think it's purchased seperately. On the bottom of the toolbar there's a button that will say "import to image ready" when you hover the mouse pointer over it, and you can make animated .gifs that way. Also, when changing frames, be sure to hide the layers you aren't using. That really frustrated me alot when I first used it.
Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity.

Colossians 3:14

~ my personal website ~
Kat Walker

Postby Mangafanatic » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:56 pm

Kat Walker wrote:I think you need ImageReady to do that. It usually comes bundled with Photoshop, however I think it's purchased seperately. On the bottom of the toolbar there's a button that will say "import to image ready" when you hover the mouse pointer over it, and you can make animated .gifs that way. Also, when changing frames, be sure to hide the layers you aren't using. That really frustrated me alot when I first used it.

Yeah, I have image ready, and that's what I'm using. But I can't figure the stupid thing out!!

Well, maybe I'm not hiding the other frames properly. See, when I upload another image, it's there, but it puts it in a seperate animation. Oh. . . I'm sooo confused.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Ashley » Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:49 pm

Hmm...well, I can't tell you what you're doing wrong, but I CAN give you Ash's uber-simplified tutorial:

1. Create/import base image (i.e. character, turtle, whatever). Make sure that the character is the ONLY thing on the layer; if you have a BG put it on another layer. It's also best/easiest if you have all of the seperate body parts as seperate objects that you can move around.
2. Duplicate "character" layer
3. Slightly move whatever part it is you want to move in the duplicated layer
4. Duplicate the slightly modified layer and move body part again.
5. Repeat as desired, with each movement on a new frame.
6. Import into ImageReady and set frame speed

I hope that helped, Osaka!
Ashley

Postby Mangafanatic » Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:49 am

So. . . do all my images have to be in PDF format to be used? Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong. If that is the case, any tips one how to convert my images to PDF format?

Mangafanatic

Postby Ashley » Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:33 am

PDF? Why on earth would you be using PDF? I've never heard of using IMAGES as .pdf files, only documents. O.o

I guess I should ask for some clarification: are you scanning in your own art to be animated, or are you drawing it on the computer? Or are you using some other method?
Ashley

Postby Mave » Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:59 am

Hey Osaka,

Your question got me curious and I decided to experiment with ImageReady hehe. This is what I have after snitching some screencaps of my fav. FMA bishie, Roy.

http://www.kcome.net/host/roy.gif

Is this what you're trying to achieve?

If so, forget pdf. Have your frames in one folder. While you're on the animation window, click one

"File/Import/Folders as Frame"

Look for that folder. Your frames should transfer to the animation window straight away. Save the file by clicking Save Optimized as -----> a gif file.

Hope this helps. I'm not sure how layers or frame speed works on this program yet. I'll need to continue playing around with this program. XD;;;
Mave

Postby shooraijin » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:05 am

Since you mentioned, Ash, ImageReady sometimes stores images as .pdfs too, not just Photoshop. For that matter, the native Macintosh graphic format is now .pdf instead of .pict (when I take screenshots on my G4, they appear as Acrobat .pdf files).
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Mave » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:11 am

No kidding, Shooby?!

The only pdf files I've ever used were research papers or application forms. :lol:

Very interesting, I really have to experiment with this program!
Mave

Postby redkorn » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:17 am

i only use adobe to draw my stuff then i take it into swish to make smooth animations, image ready seems to be chopy for me.
redkorn

Postby Mangafanatic » Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:49 pm

*burst into thread* YAY! Victory! I have conquered the evil Photoshop DEMON! Or-- atleast one of them.

Thank you all very much for you help!! In the end, the thing you suggested worked WONDERFULLY, Mave. That's how I created what you see below! Yay!

I'm so happy that I think I'll go post it in the graphics forum. Even if it is terrible. I don't even CARE! It makes me happy anyways! :grin:

Mangafanatic

Postby Ashley » Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:30 pm

Bahahahahaha, that's incredible Osaka! I'm very proud of you and I'm glad to hear it worked out! Congrats on a beautiful gif!
Ashley

Postby Mave » Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:47 pm

Yeah, Osaka! I know how awesome it feels to overcome such challenges! Great job there too! XD XD
Mave

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:55 pm

made with 3 frames in PS CS using the advice in this thread! Thanku!!!
(and yes I know it looks like he spazzes....)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Mave » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:29 am

mechana2015 wrote:made with 3 frames in PS CS using the advice in this thread! Thanku!!!
(and yes I know it looks like he spazzes....)

Cool, mechana! XD XD Hey, maybe we should work together in that CAA Anime thread. You wanna? :brow:
Mave

Postby Jasdero » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:07 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:*burst into thread* YAY! Victory! I have conquered the evil Photoshop DEMON! Or-- atleast one of them.

Thank you all very much for you help!! In the end, the thing you suggested worked WONDERFULLY, Mave. That's how I created what you see below! Yay!

I'm so happy that I think I'll go post it in the graphics forum. Even if it is crap. I don't even CARE! It makes me happy anyways! :grin:

*o*/ Awesome! X3
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Return to Tutorials