Extreme Newb PS7 Tutorials

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Extreme Newb PS7 Tutorials

Postby Jman » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:25 pm

You heard me, I need some tutorials for a newbie begginer on Photoshop 7,
I've been admiring some of those artworks you've been displaying and I wanna join in on the fun!

Adopter of Locke *0/0*
Adopter of Felix *0/0*
Adopter of Insanewithapen *0/0*
Adopter of Zelda27 *0/0*
Adopter of Sakura's Wings *0/0*
Adoptee of Cap'n Crack *0/0*

---
"It never hurts to try to make new friends, except when it does hurt…
but that's only when you're trying to make friends with a charging rhinoceros." ~ HolySoldier5000

---
"But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,
and by his wounds we are healed. "
-Isaiah 53:5

|J|c|r|e|w| --- Jman's Antidrug
---
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig
Help Him Achieve World Domination...

---
It’s not like we hate him or want him to die
Jman

Postby Mangafanatic » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:46 pm

Oh. . . I'd be interested to see these as well.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Ashley » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:09 pm

I have a quickie one I'll write up.

How To Colorize in Grayscale

1: Import whatever image you want to grayscale into photoshop
2: Clean image up as needed with eraser, pen tool, lasso tool, etc.
3: Duplicate layer
4: With the top most layer selected, go to Image>Adjust>Hue and Saturation
5: Check "colorize"
6: Slide the hue scale almost all the way to the left (til its grayish blue)
7: Slide the saturation scale all the way left. By now you should have a good grayscale image.
(For an alternate method, create a new document and paste the image into it, then hit Image>Adjust>Mode>Grayscale, say yes or no to merging layers it doesn't much matter, then drag back to your wall/photo and arrange the gray layer on top of the colored one)
8: Using pen tool/lasso tool/eraser tool, delete whatever part of the image you want to be colored--I usually go for eyes, ribbons, necklaces, etc.
9: When you're finished, link the two layers together so you can move the two freely without messing up your alignment

And that's the secret of how I get those grayscale/colored images! If you wanted to do a colorization other than grayscale (i.e. the pacifica images in my "mood rings" wall) all you have to do is adjust the hue bar to the right instead of the left and play with the saturation). Any questions?
Ashley

Postby Mave » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:35 pm

Eh....I don't know where to begin really. Do you already have an image in your hands (paper or scanned), which you wish to have colored? What resolution are you scanning your drawings? Are your drawings in pencil or ink or are you digitally producing the outlines? Sorry for asking these questions, I just want to gauge your level of newbieness to Photoshop first before focusing on what you're exactly looking for. ^__^;
Mave

Postby Gypsy » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:21 pm

*nods* I'm with Mave. I'm not a photoshop expert, but I can move around in it to suit my own needs. Some specifics would be helpful. ^^

Also, photoshop is such an incredible program that there's tons of methods you could use to get the same effect. Some will seem more complicated than others, but it's all according to the artist's preferences.

For beginners, if I had to offer one tip - just one, I would tell you to ignore the wand tool if you can at all help it. If it's not calibrated correctly, then the end result of using the wand tool can be very sloppy. Oh, and learn the shortcut keys. These are so valuable, I can't even begin to tell you. Ok, so that was really two tips but oh well. :sweat:
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Jman » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:36 pm

Well just some bascis on how to do begginer stuff to get better at the program, like making shadowy images and such. I was thinking maby there were some sites or somthing.

Adopter of Locke *0/0*
Adopter of Felix *0/0*
Adopter of Zelda27 *0/0*

---
but that's only when you're trying to make friends with a charging rhinoceros." ~ HolySoldier5000

---

---
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

---
Jman

Postby Kawaiikneko » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:49 pm

On the same note, is there a simple tutorial page that describes how to use all the tools? That might help you start. I'm still trying to figure out how to use the blasted pen tool, so such a site would help me as well XD
Kawaiikneko

Postby Jasdero » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:13 am

Kawaiikneko wrote:On the same note, is there a simple tutorial page that describes how to use all the tools? That might help you start. I'm still trying to figure out how to use the blasted pen tool, so such a site would help me as well XD

Pen Tool? : o
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby Jman » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:31 pm

Over MSN, Ashley gave me some so I think I'm set for now.

Adopter of Locke *0/0*
Adopter of Felix *0/0*
Adopter of Zelda27 *0/0*

---

---

---
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

---
Jman

Postby MyrrhLynn » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:04 pm

My two favorite sites for tutorials are :

http://www.ningen.tk - mostly how to make cool effects

and

http://www.imanimetions.net/main.php - this one has some nice basic tutorials like using the pen tool and extracting images.

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby Jman » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:29 pm

Thnks MyrrhLynn!!

Adopter of Locke *0/0*
Adopter of Felix *0/0*
Adopter of Zelda27 *0/0*

---

---

---
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)