Pet Cat Care

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Pet Cat Care

Postby Mave » Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:30 pm

For the last few days, my patience has worn thin.

I'm temporarily babysitting a friend's cat. What type of cat and how old it is, I'm not sure but it's grey and it's most likely that it's still a kitten. When my friend left me to take care of the cat, I was given instructions on how to feed it and how to handle the litter. Those two can I handle.

What I CAN'T however, is the following:
1) It keeps meowing from the inside of the room (the cat is isolated to a bedroom since the roommates don't like the cat).
2) It keeps scratching things and more recently, it has started to bite and scratch me.
3) It keeps knocking things down, messing around with cables (it unplugged my computer once while I was working on it!), jumping onto my computer keyboard ahhh....it just gets in the way!

I don't know whether the cat constantly needs attention 24/7 but I can't give that to him! I generally have a 9 to 5 work schedule and I have my own life! I don't have the time and patience to pick the cat off my computer keyboard, stop it from biting up any cloth or pulling out cables.

I'm so stressed out with it, I finally burst into tears today. I've never taken care of a cat before and I don't know how to deal with its habits. I'm starting to get frustrated and impatient with it and have been tempted so many times to take out my anger on the cat.

Any kind comments or suggestions to help ease the tension on this situation would be greatly appreciated. I have the following questions: Since the cat has to be kept in a room, must I....
1) leave the lights in the room on?
2) keep the heat on the room running?

It seemed pretty reasonable to keep both running but I've been told that the cat would be fine without both. 0.o;;;

I'm considering to construct some home made scratching post and retrieve the cat toys from the other home. (long story on this one.......the cat has two homes, that's all I'm gonna say)

Any suggestions on how to make a scratching post? A cheap one too....pls

Please help because this whole cat babysitting thingy is making me and the cat miserable and I just want it all to stop.
Mave

Postby Ashley » Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:00 pm

Aww, poor Mave. Well, I'm no animal expert, but I do have 2 cats we've had since they were kittens so I'll try to help you as best I can.

1) It keeps meowing from the inside of the room (the cat is isolated to a bedroom since the roommates don't like the cat).

This is like "crying baby syndrome" in cats--there's nothing you can do but ignore it. It's really irritating, I know, but unless you're willing to let it roam in more than one room you have to just ignore the meows like you would a child who cries and cries and cries at night. Eventually it will go to sleep. Just make sure the litterbox/toys/food is in that room and you'll be fine.

2) It keeps scratching things and more recently, it has started to bite and scratch me.

Typical cat behavior--well, ok, not the biting. She's probably just irritated. I'm assuming you don't have a scratching post for her; that's probably the thing she needs (and to be taught to scratch ONLY on that--every time she scratches on something else take her to the post and let her scratch there, or squirt her with a water gun when she scratches anywhere else). As for making a scratch post, some carpet scraps (or an old towel) wrapped around a piece of scrap wood/poster tube should be an inexpensive alternative.

3) It keeps knocking things down, messing around with cables (it unplugged my computer once while I was working on it!), jumping onto my computer keyboard ahhh....it just gets in the way!

Yup, kitten behavior alright. There's not a whole lot to be done about knocking stuff down, except to train her NOT to get on things. Use an aforementioned squirt gun (that's how we disciplined our cats)...and for the cables, that's a little harder. If it's ok with whoever you're cat sitting for, you can buy a spray to put on your cables that makes it taste really really bitter so she'll learn not to chew on it. Some people don't like that stuff though so you probably need to check first if it's ok. You can find it at most pet stores.

I don't know whether the cat constantly needs attention 24/7 but I can't give that to him! I generally have a 9 to 5 work schedule and I have my own life! I don't have the time and patience to pick the cat off my computer keyboard, stop it from biting up any cloth or pulling out cables.

Kittens DO need a lot of attention but you don't have to worship them 24/7. Does she have any of her own toys? Like an old sock rolled up as a ball, some string tied to a doornob, anything like that? If you can't entertain her, perhaps there's some things you could give her to play with by herself.

I'm so stressed out with it, I finally burst into tears today. I've never taken care of a cat before and I don't know how to deal with its habits. I'm starting to get frustrated and impatient with it and have been tempted so many times to take out my anger on the cat.

Aww, poor Mave. Well, the only thing I can suggest to you is just to keep in mind it's like a baby: crying is the only way it knows how to communicate, and it's totally focused on ME. Part of your complaints are just normal kitten behaviors that just have to be grown out of. *shrug* I wish I had something better to say...perhaps taking a few minutes to play with her (like with some string or toys or something) could make you feel closer to her and create some good memories to tide you through the frustrating ones.

You probably don't need to keep the lights on (cats have excellent eyesight) but the heat is probably not a bad idea, especially for a kitten.
Ashley

Postby agasfas » Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:33 pm

It's one of two things. First off it may be very lonely. Cats are very odd like that. Most tend to be loners, but there are always few who crave attention. My cat still being aboaut a year and a half still bits and hats to be pet. But she craves attention. Kind of an odd mix.

Secondly is the cat male or female? Because when my cat was about 6months old she was in constant heat. Moaning for non-stop for about a month and a half. My cat would scratch, bit or whatever to get outside.
What kind of moew is it, more like a moan? And if she is indeed in heat, she wont stop moaning until she is neutered. It was very frustrating. Anyways, I hope this helps.

Though, my guess is it's probably lonely or feels confined.
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine.." Prov 17:22

The word 'impossible' isn't in my dictionary... but I don't really have a dictionary you know? - Eikichi Onizuka.
Sorry, but I stop being a teacher at 5 o'clock. - Eikichi Onizuka.
agasfas

Postby sanitysux13 » Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:48 pm

If you can, get a cheap laser pointer. It's a great way to keep both you and the cat entertained, and will get it tired very quickly. Just be sure to not shine it in the kitten's eyes.
The Battles Over My Heart Moves On
I Kept My Mouth
While You Screamed And Cried
All The Lies, All The Lies
The Battle's Over
My Heart Moves On
Stood And Took The Arrows
That Cut Through My Heart
I Stood Alone I Stood Alone

You Broke Down All My Walls
I'll Build Them Up Again
The Battle's Over
Now My Heart Moves On
Today I Stand To Watch You Fall
Thats Just To Say I've Had Enough
Not Even You Can Stop Me Now
My Heart Moves On
Can't Stop Me Now
My Heart Moves On

-"The Closest Thing to Closure", Haste the Day
{In memory of a certain ex-best friend,
to whom I recently re-became friends with;
but it's still a cool song.}

Every silver lining has a cloud.

Emery: Why do you dress like that?
Me: Like what?
Emery: Well, you know, in all black with all those strappy things on your pants, like you're depressed.
Me: Cuz I like it. Why do you dress like that?
Emery: Like what?
Me: Like you're all preppy and happy looking.

You know, for a good little Christian boy, you're pretty evil.
-Dina (My boss)
sanitysux13

Postby Spirit_Wolf8356 » Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:47 pm

I have a cat, so I'll lend my two cents. Whether it helps or not...*shrugs* ^_^

As for the meowing, I echo what Ashley said, ignore it. The clawing I can't really help you out on except for shoving it lightly away from whatever it happens to be scratching at. (Our cats are declawed.) Whenever it plays with something it's not supposed to, move it away and possibly give it a light swat, unless you go with the water idea. (My cats are stubborn and don't pay attention to water hitting them.) If it jumps up on your keyboard, try moving it to your lap and petting it between typing. Or again, moving it off. If a kitty wants attention, it wants attention and it'll get it in any way possible. Just idly scratching does work. Or in my cat's case, just hanging your hand there and letting it rub it on its own also occupies it. Eventually, if you ignore it enough, it'll leave you alone and fall asleep.

And the laser pointer idea is a good one. Or just a piece of string usually.

And if she is indeed in heat, she wont stop moaning until she is neutered.
Girlie kitties get spayed and boy kitties get neutered. ^_^ They get fat afterwards too. :lol:

The choice has been made. There's no looking back. I won't let up, back up, give up, or shut up. My focus clear. My path is straight. My God, reliable. I'm a disciple of Christ.

Gods plan is like the sun. its too big and bright to look at directly, and sometimes the rain clouds cover it, but sometimes the plan dapples through the clouds and we can see beautiful glimpses of what he has in store for us.
Spirit_Wolf8356

Postby agasfas » Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:03 pm

Girlie kitties get spayed and boy kitties get neutered. ^_^

Opps, I always get those two mixed up :)..
<.<
>.>

The word 'impossible' isn't in my dictionary... but I don't really have a dictionary you know? - Eikichi Onizuka.
agasfas

Postby ZiP » Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:08 am

Well

1 - All cats scratch furniture, there's no way to stop that.

2 - The cat's biting and scratching of you is because it's trying to be playful, Your only option is to give it relaxation drugs, or take extra care when handling it, although i wouldn't think it would hurt that bad if a kitten bit you, and I have 3 cats so I know how it is.

3 - Cats have better eyesight in complete darkness than in light, so you don't need ot leave the lights on.

4 - As to the heat, I wouldn't worry to much about the cat, the heat doesn't need to be very high, cats can produce body heat pretty well, my only worry is that it's a kitten, and all 3 of my cats are medium to big sized, so I would recommend having a little heating going, but not too high.
--To Write Love on Her Arms

"That time and absence proves - Rather helps than hurts to love."

"Feelings, emotions, they are good, but they cannot be Love's foundation. When of Love, these things last. When of romance, these things end."

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, it's what you are expected to give -- which is everything."
ZiP

Postby Kisa » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:11 am

[quote="Mave"]For the last few days, my patience has worn thin.

I'm temporarily babysitting a friend's cat. What type of cat and how old it is, I'm not sure but it's grey and it's most likely that it's still a kitten. When my friend left me to take care of the cat, I was given instructions on how to feed it and how to handle the litter. Those two can I handle.

What I CAN'T however, is the following:

Any kind comments or suggestions to help ease the tension on this situation would be greatly appreciated. I have the following questions: Since the cat has to be kept in a room, must I....

It seemed pretty reasonable to keep both running but I've been told that the cat would be fine without both. 0.o]

Never fear, the cat is just lonley!
Our cats whine when we leave them in a room when they are bad or in the way, but when we open it up and play they are fine! If it is a kitten, it needs play. It needs some kind of activities that will expend its youthful energy and calm it down. When it bites and scratches it depends on how, wether its play bites or mean ones.... even if it is a older cat, they don't like being alone for too long.
Don't worry about lights in the room, cats can see anywhere... as for heat... if its got fur(not one of those naked cats) then don't really worry about the heat, those fur coats are good for something ^^.
A cheap scrathcing post would be cardboard or leftover rugs..etc... wrap it around something where it can stretch out and scratch and it will be happy. Also if you can brush the cat from time to time, it makes the cat happy and will like you!
I have had cats so I hope this helps!
PM me with any other questions you may have, don't fret and good luck! ^^
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby sanitysux13 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:39 am

If you're worried about the cat gettin cold, get it a really cheap heating pad and leave it on. That way if it's cold, it can get warm, and if it gets hot it can just get off it. And the string works almost as well as the laser pointer, but the laser pointer takes less effort and is more fun to watch.
I Kept My Mouth
The Battle's Over
My Heart Moves On

I'll Build Them Up Again
The Battle's Over
Now My Heart Moves On
My Heart Moves On
Can't Stop Me Now
My Heart Moves On

Emery: Well, you know, in all black with all those strappy things on your pants, like you're depressed.

-Dina (My boss)
sanitysux13

Postby agasfas » Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:32 pm

No, when I say a cat is in heat, is that cats will try to do anything to go outside and get pregnant. It will moew non-stop and claw your eyes out to get outside. Heat is just a term meaning they wan't to conceive. When cats are in heat, it continues until they become pregnant or get spayed.

That's only if it's a girl cat and even then... It was only a guess. That may not be the cause. I was just giving suggestions because my cats did the same. Most likely the cat is just bored and lonely.

agasfas

Postby Kisa » Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:11 pm

Just a little clear up.... when a female cat is in heat (only females do) it happens once a month like with humans. The behavior you described doesn't sounds like that. You would definitley know if it was in heat..... lots of noise and stuff.... ^^''
Kisa

Postby Mave » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:35 pm

Wow you guys are awesome, thanks for the input! I'll suggest a scratching post to the owner and meanwhile, try to spend some more time with the cat. It's really a cute fellow...just a little too frisky and active for me :lol:

Oh btw, it's male and his name is "Socks."
Mave

Postby agasfas » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:58 pm

Just a little clear up.... when a female cat is in heat (only females do) it happens once a month like with humans

Correct, only females go into heat, but no it doesn't come once a month. After their first pregancy yes, but before that, they wont stop until they become pregnant or spayed. That's what the vet said. My cat was in heat for like 1.5months straight. Not in cycles because she never was pregnant, we wouldn't let her. Plus I didn't know if the cat Mave was talking about was male or female because she referes to it as "it". That's why i put that suggestion in.

And yes, I know that's probably not it. It was just a suggestion. I just figured it was just bored or lonely.

agasfas

Postby Kisa » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:58 am

WOW 0_0
I heard it was once a month.... thats annoying, lol.
Glad your doing better with the cat Mave! ^_^
Kisa

Postby Spades » Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:31 pm

it's a cat.
any living thing likes attention and love.
Pat it as often as you can.
Wrestle with it throw it around.
Whatever it's all good.
Spades

Postby sanitysux13 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:51 pm

No, dont' throw it. Throwing is bad. Whatever you do, do NOT try to keep it in your bathtub. We had a couple of cats that were orphaned and raised like that for a while, and they weren't quite normal.
I Kept My Mouth
The Battle's Over
My Heart Moves On

I'll Build Them Up Again
The Battle's Over
Now My Heart Moves On
My Heart Moves On
Can't Stop Me Now
My Heart Moves On

-Dina (My boss)
sanitysux13

Postby Scribs » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:01 am

I just thought I would mention that if the cat doesn't like the scratching post you give it as much as the surrounding furniture, just rub some cat nip into the scratching post. The cat will go straight for the post. Good luck! and remember, If one solution doesn't work there is more than one way to skin a cat!

Oops, bad analogy.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby ZiP » Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:15 am

Oh btw, it's male and his name is "Socks."

That is so weird! My mom had a cat named socks!
--To Write Love on Her Arms

"That time and absence proves - Rather helps than hurts to love."

"Feelings, emotions, they are good, but they cannot be Love's foundation. When of Love, these things last. When of romance, these things end."

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, it's what you are expected to give -- which is everything."
ZiP

Postby Spades » Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:49 am

throwing is good. they land on their feet anyways
Spades

Postby BigZam » Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:22 pm

[quote="ZiP"]

i wouldn't think it would hurt that bad if a kitten bit you, and I have 3 cats so I know how it is.
QUOTE]

If that cat bites you DO NOT I repeat DO NOT let it draw blood. It will give you blood poisoning.
gone for good...
BigZam

Postby Scribs » Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:23 pm

I would have to fall on the side of the fence which says it is not good to throw cats.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Return to Tutorials