Procrastination

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Procrastination

Postby Rauken » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:31 pm

I'm such a procrastinator. Everything that's required gets done, but it always cuts into my sleep.

The just-sit-down-and-do-it thing isn't all that helpful. If I could just sit down and do it, there wouldn't be any problems now, would there?

Any suggestions?
Rauken

Postby Jasdero » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:49 pm

I am the Master of Procrastination... XD;;;

What I've been doing is writing out what I need to do, and how much time I'm going to spend on each thing. Then, I start... I put in about an hour or so for "procrastination" time. XD;; It's working well. ^^

Good luck!
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby Saint Kevin » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:02 pm

Sounds like a plan Sunako. Sorry I can't give advice, I'm in the midst of procrastinating right now, on a problem set, powerpoint presentation, and an essay. Yes, guilty as charged. I've gotta be the worst procrastinator ever.

Here's a suggestion. Prayer. I'll pray for you guys, please pray for me too. Later rather than sooner, of course. ;)
Our lives are but a vapor, let us not let waste our time and breath on vanities, but let us spend ourselves for the Kingdom, seeking a better resurrection.

Preaching the Bad News

My Live Journal
Saint Kevin

Postby ssj2gohan61 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:25 pm

im an expert... have any trouble beoming a procrastinator...come to me... having problems not being such procrastinator stay away i might make you worse lol
Love is that feeling you get when a girl looks at you and it feels like your driving a car at high speeds and experience a sudden drop. You know what i mean? That sudden sinking feeling you get in your stomach? Yeah, that's love. Leave's you speechless everytime.
ssj2gohan61

Postby Jaltus-bot » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:38 am

I'll post here when I get around to it.
When I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Asdvadz hedut ullah! (W. Armenian, "May God bless you!")

It's cosplay, get used to it.

"A hero need not speak. For when he is gone, the world will speak for him."

"One of the nice things about diseases of the brain is they tend to slip your mind." Colbert
Jaltus-bot

Postby termyt » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:13 am

Oh, sorry, I thought this was a tutorial on how to be a procrastinator. Then I could help you.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:32 pm

sheherazade wrote:I'll post here when I get around to it.

I just about typed the same thing. *snap* But you beat me to it.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Kireihana » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:10 pm

I am sorry to say this, but there is no way to cure procrastination. Throughout the 14 years of my life, my parents have attempted to do this, but all has been in vain. However, they have been able to temporarily increase my productivity at times by stealing away my computer. ;_;
Kireihana

Postby Ren_sama » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:23 pm

Yup, i agree with Kireihana.
My computer was broken for quite awhile, and during that time I actually got stuff done! *shock!*
Now that the computer is fixed...well, let's say that my grades could be better...T_T
So, the only conclusion i can come to is to smash your computer into a billion pieces~! Mwehehe...Though, that may be a little messy...>.>
Ren_sama

Postby Maledicte » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:37 pm

make a list of all the things you need to get done, set it on paper and set aside certain days to do it during the week.
say...vacuum tuesday, wash dishes tuesday and saturday, do englis homework monday, etc, etc
if it's for something like writing or drawing, get it done during mealtimes when you're alone. I've done it--it actually works!
i am the saintly knight of procrastination... see profile
Maledicte

Postby Spades » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:12 am

Procrastination makes me ill. I dont get it. If you are physically capable of doing something that is sitting in front of you ...just do it! When it comes to art yeah there is a reason to why you have to wait b/c usually its a feeling or a certain time you can get that done...but if it's something like dishes perhaps...and you dont like em or want to touch em...just do it..cuz it only gets bigger...and that is why you hate doing em in the first place..ya let it grow and grow until it becomes a giant grudge sitting on your shoulder and your irritated that you have to take more time to do it now. bluck!
It's snowing outside...SWEET!!!
Spades

Postby Gypsy » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:20 am

Spades wrote:but if it's something like dishes perhaps...and you dont like em or want to touch em...just do it..cuz it only gets bigger...and that is why you hate doing em in the first place.

Yes, yes, excellent words of wisdom. Image
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby John316 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:31 pm

But, but, watching anime when you know you have more important things to do makes it so much more enjoyable!
Romans 12:9 "Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good."
John316

Postby Spades » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:32 pm

Gypsy....I wasnt meaning to draw attention to your issue with procrastination but it was the only example I could speak of...Dont worry I'll do em tonight. Chicken,vegies and salad ok for dinner?
Spades

Postby soul alive » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:34 pm

ah, procrastination. if there were a PA - procrastinators anonymous - i would join tomorrow.

as of yet the only cure i have found for me is to "punish" myself. no reading that book i've been into, no getting on the computer, no hanging out with friends, etc. until whatever has to be done is done. sadly, this doesn't work when it comes to essay writing, and the only way that gets done is to kick the essay out a couple hours before it is due... not really a good idea.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:43 pm

I actually am planning on writing an effective essay on procrastination, but I don't feel like it at the moment. I'll think about doing it tommorow.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby plutogrl03 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:35 pm

The scheduling thing is a good idea to get things done. I have also heard of putting yourself on a reward system. After you get a task done you give yourself a treat like playing on the computer or something. If it's a long term task, you can get a buddy who is doing the same task as you. You make sure they are on task and your buddy does the same thing for you.

Don't know how much that helps but I thought I'd put it up here.
plutogrl03

Postby EvilSporkofDoom » Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:40 am

Procrastination actually works for me - I personally work much better if I'm under pressure than if I have a week or so to do something. Yeah, it may be more stressful, and there's the risk of running out of time, but if I'm not "forced" to do something I can't focus as well on it, and I usually don't do as good a job. This is especially true with writing papers..
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
-Hebrews 11:6

EvilSporkofDoom

Postby TrigunX89 » Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:00 pm

I'm with EvilSporkofDoom.
TrigunX89

Postby Needle Noggin » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:34 pm

[quote="Kireihana"]I am sorry to say this, but there is no way to cure procrastination. Throughout the 14 years of my life, my parents have attempted to do this, but all has been in vain. However, they have been able to temporarily increase my productivity at times by stealing away my computer. ]

When ever my computer is taken away I daydream about what I would be doing one the computer.
Go young wildebeest
for you must gallop yonder
mayonaise amen
Needle Noggin

Postby EireWolf » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:20 pm

I used to procrastinate a LOT. I find it useful to make a list of all the things I need to do -- especially when I'm feeling really busy and/or stressed out. That helps me focus. The rewards system is a good idea, too. Do some of the unpleasant tasks on your list first, and then reward yourself by doing one you like to do.

Not to make you panic or freak you out, but remember time is short. We have a very limited span of life on this earth. That was driven home for me when my sister died a couple years ago. Don't put off the important things, especially.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
[indent]~~Gandalf, in Fellowship of the Ring[/indent]
EireWolf

Postby Zar » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:06 am

My procrastination is so embedded in my work ethic that I have become highly efficent at it. But I need to stop, because My Art advisor keeps telling me to put more process with my work, even though its good it could be better, so I guess I got to get to work !!!!!!!
Day after day nothing seems to change, but pretty soon everything is different
Zar

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:04 am

I actually found a very effective cure for procrastination: Coffee. Yup, if I don't feel like doing anything, just one cup of coffee and I'm good to go. Two cups have a stronger effect.
Azier the Swordsman

Return to Tutorials