Who Else Prefers Traditional Animation Over CGI?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Who Else Prefers Traditional Animation Over CGI?

Postby brantelg » Sat May 29, 2004 5:57 pm

I personally will always believe that traditional animation is better than CGI because there is just so much more you can do with it and there is just no match with it. While CGI has its merits, I still wish that many companies did not close their traditional animation departments for movies. So that is why anime will live long in my life, because it is traditional animation!
brantelg

Postby Aka-chan » Sat May 29, 2004 7:59 pm

I agree that I like older styles of animation, and I have infinite respect for the traditional style, but I'm not completely against CG stuff. I like some of it, but the CG sometimes gets overused in live-action movies nowadays to the point of just being corny.
Aka-chan

Postby Savior_Sora » Sat May 29, 2004 10:29 pm

Old school...I love old school. CGI is nice and all...but true w/ CGI you can only do so much. Plus your limited to time, money, and a lot of computer stuff.

with old school all you need is pencil and paper and you go it made :D.
-"How do we prove we exist...maybe we don't exist."

-"I feel sorry for the dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac...they stay up all night wondering if there is a dog."

-"It's not the fall that kills you...It's the sudden stop at the end."

Savior_Sora

Postby Mr_Anderson » Sat May 29, 2004 10:31 pm

depends when and what for, sometimes CGI can take away from a movies value when it is supposed a sequal to be traditional animation. (like most disney movies)
Shatterheart wrote:Sarcasm is like a butt...everyone has some...and some need to be kicked.
Mr_Anderson

Postby Ingemar » Sat May 29, 2004 11:08 pm

Computers can be used to give a "traditional" look--believe it or not, all the cells in Love Hina were made using computers. But I don't like that "computery" look that one gets from Reboot, Final Fantasy TSW or ZOE 1. (the exeption for me would be the Pixar movies).

However, I do like a compromise between the two: a "traditional" look butressed with "computery" backgrounds or effects like the 90's Disney movies or R.O.D.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby inkhana » Sat May 29, 2004 11:42 pm

I prefer drawn animation over CGI stuff, although I do recognize what computer graphics can lend to a picture (it can be definitely overused, however). I do think some of the Pixar stuff is cute...^^

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon May 31, 2004 3:59 pm

I'm still a big fan of the traditional style of animation. CGI has considerably improved the effects for some movies, but at some point they need to STEP OFF. o.O ahemahemlikethenewstarwarscoughahem
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Lightbringer » Mon May 31, 2004 4:46 pm

I like both, but I like the traditional animation more personally. Though i really like to see well done CG as a background to some Animations. But only when it fits. Sometimes the two things just clash.
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Join up! Darklight-The Chronicles of Tairis epic RPG
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=5233
Lightbringer

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon May 31, 2004 5:28 pm

Hmm... I love CG... I used to watch "Sons of Liberty" as a movie, and it was just as engrossing... That was until I got to places where I was screwing around... But, that's not the point. I love CG. I'd love to make a big CG production someday... Maybe take a scene out of my book, a short story called "The Ruum" or animate my favorite episodes of "Adventures in Odyssey." I'd love to do that. Without CG, we wouldn't have movies like "Lord of the Rings" and without it, Shrek wouldn't exist. Shrek! I mean, come on! You can't diss CG and try to compare it to ink and paint cell animation. It just doesn't work like that. They are different media. I love them both, and don't mind adding that I like puppeteering and clay animation as well. I guess you can have your favorites, but I don't really feel like doing that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Saint » Mon May 31, 2004 5:39 pm

I think they work great together. Look at "Voices of a Distant Star," "Wonderful Days" or "Arjuna." I loved all of them and they mix the two together very well. I have seen some though that didn't do so well and it did jerk your attention to it. So if the people have talent i think it can work great, i am all for it. :)
We are saved by grace thru faith, not of works... "keep on fighting for grace"
Saint

Postby Six » Mon May 31, 2004 6:02 pm

they both have thier place... CG will never replace regular animation and can anybody really see movies like shrek, monsters inc. or finding nemo possible in traditional animation? its a totally different cup of tea, they both have thier place and both are here to stay.

(over-use of CG in live action movie is perfectly demonstrated in the overproduced 2hr music video known as the matrix reloaded.)

Fight Ignorance

Inform Yourself

See another country's point of view

Know Your Online Rights

Discover the Intelligent alternative to the basic political parties

Name: Sakeshi Hiromuki

Username:Six

Proficiencies:Kunai, Shuriken, Light Blade (Kodachi)

Techniques:

Clone: NinJutsu; user creates an immobile clone usable only as a decoy

Substitution: GenJutsu; user replaced their body with another object, and throws an illusion around the object so it appears to be them. The illusion breaks on contact with an object

Transformation: GenJutsu; user casts an illusion making them appear as someone else

Slashing Wind: NinJutsu; the user summons and hurls a massive gust of wind. If done properly can cut (25-20tp=5tp)
Six

Location: Pittsfield MA but i preffer Philly which is where I will be going to College

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:25 pm

speaking of animations and music videos, has anyone seen any of Daft Punk's "Train 999" style music videos?

I think CG is getting better and better, and there are many instances allready where people can't tell it's CG (such as the aerial shot in "The Ring" where the camera flies over the town... Part of it was real, and part of it was CG... You can't even tell where the CG is) and as long as people keep learning and inventing new techniques, it will always fit into movies... I mean, look at Lord of the Rings... Those movies would have been impossible if it was nothing but minatures and costumes.

I honestly don't understand people's hatred for it... Did people complain about stop motion in older movies, or very limited puppets in others? I just don't get it.

Also, the term traditional is vague... If you mean ink and paint, well that doesn't apply to a lot of modern anime which are all produced digitally... A lot of modern American animation is 2d vector stuff (such as most of the stuff on the American side of Adult Swim) and I wouldn't be surprised if some Japanese animation uses that too... Oh well, it is just a matter of taste...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Six » Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:11 am

CG is definatly awesome stuff... look at what its given us, LotR, Spiderman, Shrek 1&2, Monsters inc., Toy Story 1&2, Finding Nemo, Ice Age and many many other movies that are just amazing... its not going to replace traditional animation, it basicly just invented its own new genre of animation, its not trying to take over... personally im glad disney has some competition in the animation department... mabye we will get some better products from them.

Fight Ignorance

Inform Yourself

Know Your Online Rights

Techniques:

Substitution: GenJutsu; user replaced their body with another object, and throws an illusion around the object so it appears to be them. The illusion breaks on contact with an object

Transformation: GenJutsu; user casts an illusion making them appear as someone else

Slashing Wind: NinJutsu; the user summons and hurls a massive gust of wind. If done properly can cut (25-20tp=5tp)
Six

Location: Pittsfield MA but i preffer Philly which is where I will be going to College

Postby Solid Ronin » Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:18 pm

it depends heavily on what it is?
Solid Ronin

Postby inkhana » Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:01 pm

I do remember an instance of when I really noticed how well CG and cel were blended - dunno how many of you have seen the movie "Blood: the Last Vampire" but there are a few scenes where CG was used in the background, with cel overlaid, as I recall, especially that scene in the train station at the beginning.

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Six » Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:12 am

I've seen some stuff like that as well, though i cant remember where, but it was really kool (and funky) looking, I cant wait to see where they go with this. These artists never cease to amaze me

Fight Ignorance

Inform Yourself

Know Your Online Rights

Techniques:

Six

Postby Mangafanatic » Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:37 pm

I agree. Traditional is generally my preference.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby RefractedAhav » Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:03 pm

Bobtheduck wrote:Hmm... I love CG... I used to watch "Sons of Liberty" as a movie, and it was just as engrossing... That was until I got to places where I was screwing around... But, that's not the point. I love CG. I'd love to make a big CG production someday... Maybe take a scene out of my book, a short story called "The Ruum" or animate my favorite episodes of "Adventures in Odyssey." I'd love to do that. Without CG, we wouldn't have movies like "Lord of the Rings" and without it, Shrek wouldn't exist. Shrek! I mean, come on! You can't diss CG and try to compare it to ink and paint cell animation. It just doesn't work like that. They are different media. I love them both, and don't mind adding that I like puppeteering and clay animation as well. I guess you can have your favorites, but I don't really feel like doing that.

I agree with bob, You can't really compare them. I really like both "traditonal" and CG. I admire the art in quite afew of the mre traditonal animations, but I also seeing things like the cave troll in LoTR : FoTR. If it it weren't for CG we wouldn't have Veggie Tales!

I also lIke some claymation (like Walice and Gromet and Chicken Run) and puppet movies/shows (like the muppets).

P.s. Just to let you know, I am majoring in CG animation and I am on the puppet and clown team from my church. My siblings (Gala and Purplemoose) are also members of this team.

Puppetering is fun but it can be rather painful at times.
Adopted by: 1BalloonPopper

(\_/) [color=royalblue]"We are the Bunnie [/color]

(O.o) Resistance Is Futile.

(> <) You Will Be Assimilated"-Elowen

Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig Help Him Achieve World Domination...

AKA: Jowan, John, Iwan, any male form of "John" exept Johny or any spelling of Johny (Jonathan is actualy an entirly diferrnt name, so no that does not work)

FKA: Elowen

http://users.ev1.net/%7Ebretm/ashley/tairis%20sig%203.gif
RefractedAhav

Location: Some where in Oz or is it in the woods between worlds, I'm not so shure any more. Any one have an in

Return to General Entertainment