An odd observation...

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

An odd observation...

Postby Debitt » Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:55 pm

I don't know if this should be in the movies forum. >>; Someone move it if it should be.

But anyways, talking to a good friend of mine over IM, and I realized: My goodness, what the heck is Hollywood doing to kids these days? the G rating has nearly died out in theaters. Everything's almost always PG-13 or R.

I remember watching the Black Cauldron when I was 6 or 7 and going aboslutely NUTS because I thought I had watched a "bad" movie. And now what's happening today? I'm seeing kids as young as 8 or 9 in PG-13 movies with their parents.

I have no clue what I'm even trying to get at here....it's just kind of sad, I suppose.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Aka-chan » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:07 am

I totally know how you feel. I used to be like *gasp* It’s PG!! I can’t watch it!! It is pretty sad; what happened to good clean fun? It does exist, people.
Aka-chan

Postby Vampi » Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:01 am

Even G rated movies have some hidden message, but it's not just movies. Nearly the entire mass media is out to corrupt. Meggido is approaching.....
Vampi

Postby Shinja » Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:16 am

whats real sad is ive seen pg13 movies way worse than some r's, which is just totally wack
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby cbwing0 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:19 am

When I was younger, my parents had a strict policy of not letting me seek PG-13 movies. This meant that I missed a lot of movies that I really wanted to see at the time (like Street Fighter, but in hindsight I'm glad that I didn't waste money on that one :lol: ). A lot of my friends saw (or said that they saw) PG-13 and R rated movies, but I didn't. I am glad that my parents did this, at it kept me from being exposed to quite a bit of filth.

Now that I go to R movies frequently, I see some things that are just sad. When I went to see Freddy vs. Jason, there were several kids on the theater, who had to be 8 or younger.

I also have to agree that it seems like G rated movies are disappearing; then again, we probably don't watch Nickelodeon anymore, meaning that we don't see the advertising for all of the kid movies that we were exposed to as young children.
cbwing0

Postby Elric_kun » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:53 am

im 14 and i go to R rated movies(somtimes)....hehe
Elric_kun

Postby JediSonic » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:25 am

mom, is this TRUE? :lol:

Anyway.. I saw The Matrix at a friend's house (with parental permission mind you) and I can almost garuntee that it isnt as bad as some PG-13 stuff. The world is going a bit screwy that way :(
JediSonic

Postby shooraijin » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:00 am

Yes, but what's funny is that G used to be a *desirable* rating. 2001: A Space Odyssey and the first Star Trek movie were both rated G.

Moved to Spotlight.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:09 pm

It is pretty sad...-_-;

G rated stuff -can- be good. My only problem with -writing- it is that it's unrealistic ^_^; But that's an argument for another thread, another time.

My parents let me watch -some- PG movies when I was a kid, but I don't think I saw my first R rated flick until a lot later. I honestly can't remember anymore. ^^;

I don't like how the lines between PG and R are so blurry nowadays. I've seen stuff in some PG movies that just...should NOT be there.

And at the same time, the FCC is going after Howard Stern and cracking down on radio shows? :eyebrow:
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Shinja » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:19 pm

wel you dont pay for radio thats why theyre begining to clean them up, but everything in general has gone down hill, im amazed sometimes at how violent or sexual everything is today. and really there4s no reason for it except people crave it for entertainment, and that says terible things about our society. personally i dont like seeing violence, its one of those things noone should ever see. i wonder what my kids will be seeing 20 years from now.
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby Debitt » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:36 pm

Shinja wrote:i wonder what my kids will be seeing 20 years from now.

Oh dear, I wonder that all the time. >< At the rate our movies are going downhill, I don't think it's going to be all that wholesome if you ask me.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Mangafanatic » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:53 pm

It's not sad that next to nothing's rated G. What's sad is that when they are rated G, there's some sorta unwritten rule that you have to have a talking animal in there somewhere.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby shooraijin » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:24 pm

No, there are live-action movies every so often that get G ratings. James Cameron's documentary on the Titanic (not the movie, obviously) got a G, and most IMAX features that get rated are usually G or PG. Also, there was a movie that I can't remember the name of with an old farmer who traveled for miles on his tractor (supposedly a docudrama of some sort) which was widely praised at various indie festivals, and that got a G also.

Nevertheless, anything with a wide distribution and a G rating is undoubtedly positioned at the kiddie market. Unfortunate.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby PotBelliedCow » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:06 pm

It's not just the movies though...some of the music videos on today (Maroon 5's "This Love" comes to mind) would have been rated R by the standards of the Black Cauldron era.

Miss that good old G rating...:sniffle:

Eh? :eh:
PotBelliedCow

Postby madphilb » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:07 pm

When they released The Italian Job (remake) on DVD they also re-relased the original movie at the same time... that movie only has a G rating, which is quite interesting...

Overall standards and morals are different than they used to be, I'm old enough to remember a time when PG-13 didn't exist, there where only G, PG, and R....

I can also remember a time when it was a huge shock for Disney to issue a PG rated movie (Both Splash and The Black Hole where PG movies).

It's gotten crazy... I was thinking somewhat about this looking at the DVD covers at BLock Buster not too long ago... the tendancy now seems to be to have movies on DVD that are the "unrated" version that they didn't or couldn't show in the movies... sad really that people feel they need to add the extra stuff to make a movie good.
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Return to General Entertainment