Marvel Movies

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Marvel Movies

Postby Lady Arianrod » Thu May 23, 2019 10:41 pm

Hello, everyone! I haven't created an entertainment thread in a long time, but I was just curious if anyone else was following the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Do you have a favorite MCU film? How do you feel about the franchise as a whole?

Personally, I have enjoyed most of the Marvel movies I've seen, although I'm most partial to Captain America and Ant-Man.

My favorite film in the series is probably the first Avengers movie, although I feel that most of them are entertaining.
Lady Arianrod

Re: Marvel Movies

Postby shooraijin » Fri May 24, 2019 8:24 pm

I was in mourning after Endgame, since it's a somewhat mostly kinda new MCU after that, but I did enjoy the vast majority of them. I have to be "that guy" and say I thought Black Panther was solid but not "all that," and Thor Dark World and the Hulk reboot are certainly weaker entries. But I wouldn't say any of them were bad.

As far as my favourite, for me it's a toss-up between the first Avengers, Infinity War and The Winter Soldier (I love 70's conspiracy movies, which it was a conscious homage to). I really liked the first Iron Man, but since it was done before the MCU was the big blockbuster it is now, it kind of feels separated from it even though it establishes it.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Lady Arianrod » Wed May 29, 2019 9:58 pm

shooraijin wrote:I was in mourning after Endgame, since it's a somewhat mostly kinda new MCU after that, but I did enjoy the vast majority of them. I have to be "that guy" and say I thought Black Panther was solid but not "all that," and Thor Dark World and the Hulk reboot are certainly weaker entries. But I wouldn't say any of them were bad.

As far as my favourite, for me it's a toss-up between the first Avengers, Infinity War and The Winter Soldier (I love 70's conspiracy movies, which it was a conscious homage to). I really liked the first Iron Man, but since it was done before the MCU was the big blockbuster it is now, it kind of feels separated from it even though it establishes it.

I agree about The Dark World and Hulk. I did like them, but I didn't feel like they were as strong as some of the other entries. Black Panther was good, but it wasn't one of my top films either.

Winter Soldier was a good one. I enjoyed the action and the intrigue as well.

Iron Man (the original) was an excellent way to start off the MCU. It really defined a new era in comic book films.

I am looking forward to the new movies, but I feel like Infinity War and Endgame were a good final chapter for the current "phase". SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I will miss all of the characters who died in Endgame, though. :sniffle:
Lady Arianrod

Postby shooraijin » Thu May 30, 2019 4:19 pm

I spoilerized your post, just in case.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Lady Arianrod » Thu May 30, 2019 10:43 pm

Thanks.
Lady Arianrod

Postby Nate » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:54 am

Black Panther is objectively the best Marvel movie because Killmonger isn't even wrong, he's 100% correct (even if his methods go too far in the opposite direction).

I will however allow Winter Soldier answers because I haven't seen it yet but I hear it's fantastic.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby shooraijin » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:18 am

You'll definitely want to watch Winter Soldier before Endgame because several scenes directly reference it, and some people who disappeared in it return in Endgame (trying not to spoil anything).

shooraijin

Postby SierraLea » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:11 am

I loved the end of endgame. I mean, I knew it was coming, (memes spoil everything) but I still loved it.
"I tell you, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:37-40).
Exceptionally Ordinary
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else." P.T.Barnam
SierraLea

Postby Furen » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:16 pm

Of series within the MCU, Iron Man is probably the cake winner for me, though Captain America is a very close second.
Of individual films, I'll sell out to my favourite hero and say Spider-Man: Homecoming is the best one.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Furen » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:18 pm

shooraijin wrote:I was in mourning after Endgame, since it's a somewhat mostly kinda new MCU after that

Thinking about that... I would probably have to agree that the MCU feels very different than it did at the beginning of the series. I wonder what it would feel like if I were to watch the whole... What... 15-20 movies back to back.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Sammy Boy » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:33 am

I love most of the MCU films and have watched quite a number of them .. except Spider-Man and Dr Strange ones.

Because I have a young child I no longer go to the cinemas to see the films as they are released, but just wait for the Blu-Ray to get released and then I buy it. It also means I can re-watch them again and again.

But I understand there's quite like seeing some of them on the big screen.
Sammy Boy

Postby shooraijin » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:42 pm

I've managed to get all the 3D versions (we have a DLP 3D projector). That took some doing, but then we can watch them in the home theatre (106" picture, 5.1 sound). It's not the best home theatre ever made, but we got it together for less than a grand.

shooraijin

Return to General Entertainment