Why do the good cartoons die young!!

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Why do the good cartoons die young!!

Postby LastLfan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:17 am

Some cartoons just don't get the air time they deserve. We have gathered to lament the loss of some great shows and those pilots that never got the show they needed.

THIS IS NOT TO RANT ABOUT EXECUTIVES, EVEN THOUGH THEY MAKE BAD CALLS, THIS IS WHERE WE CAN CELEBRATE THE HAPPY TIMES WE HAD.

I would like to start with mentioning robotomy, this show only got ten episodes and managed to establish fun characters and provide unique laughs, such as being stalked not on a social network, but by the the social network. I have seen all 10 episodes numerous time and this is a show that I'm glad i caught.
LastLfan

Re: Why do the good cartoons die young!!

Postby Mullet Death » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:21 am

Never heard of it. Was it really that good? It didn't score very high on imbd. Anyway I feel you; alot of the dramas I ever liked like Flash Forward and Terra Nova got cancelled. What other cancelled cartoons are you referring to?

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby LastLfan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:27 am

I know the imdb rating wasn't that great but it had potential, and again it really only had a test run season, as far as others, Kappa mikey, secret mountain fort awesome(don't knock it till you try it), and that's not even mentioning the big ones like invader zim, megas XLR, and sym-bionic Titan
LastLfan

Postby dragonzatch » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:43 pm

Constant Payne never got made because of fights over wages for artists with Nickelodeon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7fR6gLQ2C8
Don't you think that it's boring how people talk?

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/dragonzatch
dragonzatch

Postby LastLfan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:55 pm

I've seen the pilot, that one was good
LastLfan

Postby ClaecElric4God » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:29 pm

*sob*
L, how could you? How could you possibly create this thread without mentioning that show? I thought I knew you... *turns away dramatically*
In all seriousness, though. Danny Phantom. Now, a lot of cartoons are cheesy and deserve to die *cough*sponge*cough*, but Danny Phantom was not one of them. I spent awhile hoping that it would get started again, but it's been what, 7 years? Yeah, I'll just mourn quietly, and post something in my art thread that I think you will appreciate, L. *hint hint*
Wow, now I have to go watch Danny Phantom.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby LastLfan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:36 pm

I knew there was a nick show i missed, i did appreciate getting that fairly odd special with danny's voice though, that was really good. Ya hillenburg was right when he wanted to end sponge before it jumped the shark. If its a picture of danni i'm gonna freak, then make it my background
LastLfan

Postby ClaecElric4God » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:44 pm

Haha, no Danni, I'm afraid. I haven't drawn a lot of Danny Phantom pictures, to be honest. But I shall draw a Danni just for you.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Postby LastLfan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:48 pm

HUZZAH danni is one of my all time favorite characters. I'm also going to throw out KND, it did last a while and I guess I'm just kida sad to see it go, it could have had a spinoff like NCIS:LA, even though i felt those characters had finished their story i really miss that universe and would have loved to see it continue, could you imagine that as an mmo, just lamenting i guess
LastLfan

Postby dragonzatch » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:32 pm

Ah, I remember when Robotomy was on TV...very briefly. I think it's on Netflix now.

dragonzatch

Postby Psycho Molos » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:53 pm

dragonzatch wrote:Constant Payne never got made because of fights over wages for artists with Nickelodeon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7fR6gLQ2C8

I thought it was that blimp flight between "two towers"
Psycho Molos

Postby Nate » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:30 pm

Let us all take a moment to remember the series Young Justice, destroyed in its prime by ironclad proof that sexism is still alive and well in the US.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby LastLfan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:52 pm

We will never forget you young justice, i regret not watching you more, goodbye ol friend i hardly knew ya
LastLfan

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:27 pm

Oh Danny Phantom. Yes. :(
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:04 am

I was legitimately sad Young Justice was cancelled D:
Other than that I think American Dragon: Jake Long was cancelled and I used to love that show XD;;
(Though looking back on it, it could've been better XD;; ).
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby Sammy Boy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:16 am

I heard that the new Thundercats series was pretty good (though I never got the chance to watch any episodes), and that Young Justice was also good.

Can anybody who has watched the new Thundercats series tell me if it's any good? Thanks.
Sammy Boy

Postby Hikaru » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:08 pm

Young justice...I really miss it. ;_; I wasn't completely satisfied with the ending. It's crazy that they'd cancell it just because it didn't sell enough toys. It's not a show for kids! It's just...aaugh! Anywho, I miss it.
Hikaru

Postby Sammy Boy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:38 am

Hikaru wrote: It's crazy that they'd cancell it just because it didn't sell enough toys. It's not a show for kids! It's just...aaugh! Anywho, I miss it.

Crazy, but not entirely surprising. There's been a history to the view that cartoons were used to promote their toy counterparts (e.g. The original US Transformers and He-Man cartoons).

The argument goes that in essence, cartoons were like advertisement for toys, although anyone who has watched the episodes knows this is not entirely true.

The sad fact is that even today, many retailers will only stock a certain toy if there is enough media support for it (e.g. related cartoons, video games, etc.).

They just cannot see the value of cartoons in and of themselves. :)
Sammy Boy

Postby Nate » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:25 pm

It's not because it didn't sell enough toys, it was because they had too many girls watching. To quote Paul Dini:

DINI: "That's the thing, you know I hate being Mr. Sour Grapes here, but I'll just lay it on the line: that's the thing that got us cancelled on Tower Prep, honest-to-God was, like, 'we need boys, but we need girls right there, right one step behind the boys'—this is the network talking—'one step behind the boys, not as smart as the boys, not as interesting as the boys, but right there.' And then we began writing stories that got into the two girls' back stories, and they were really interesting. And suddenly we had families and girls watching, and girls really became a big part of our audience, in sort of like they picked up that Harry Potter type of serialized way, which is what The Batman and [indistinct]'s really gonna kill. But, the Cartoon Network was saying, 'F***, no, we want the boys' action, it's boys' action, this goofy boy humor we've gotta get that in there. And we can't—' and I'd say, but look at the numbers, we've got parents watching, with the families, and then when you break it down—'Yeah, but the—so many—we've got too many girls. We need more boys.'"

SMITH: "That's heart-breaking."

DINI: "And then that's why they cancelled us, and they put on a show called Level Up, which is, you know, goofy nerds fighting CG monsters. It's like, 'We don't want the girls because the girls won't buy toys.'

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Xeno » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:57 pm

Nate wrote:It's not because it didn't sell enough toys, it was because they had too many girls watching. To quote Paul Dini:

DINI: "That's the thing, you know I hate being Mr. Sour Grapes here, but I'll just lay it on the line: that's the thing that got us cancelled on Tower Prep, honest-to-God was, like, 'we need boys, but we need girls right there, right one step behind the boys'—this is the network talking—'one step behind the boys, not as smart as the boys, not as interesting as the boys, but right there.' And then we began writing stories that got into the two girls' back stories, and they were really interesting. And suddenly we had families and girls watching, and girls really became a big part of our audience, in sort of like they picked up that Harry Potter type of serialized way, which is what The Batman and [indistinct]'s really gonna kill. But, the Cartoon Network was saying, 'F***, no, we want the boys' action, it's boys' action, this goofy boy humor we've gotta get that in there. And we can't—' and I'd say, but look at the numbers, we've got parents watching, with the families, and then when you break it down—'Yeah, but the—so many—we've got too many girls. We need more boys.'"

SMITH: "That's heart-breaking."

DINI: "And then that's why they cancelled us, and they put on a show called Level Up, which is, you know, goofy nerds fighting CG monsters. It's like, 'We don't want the girls because the girls won't buy toys.'

Paging Rocklobster. I want his perspective on this.

Also Clone High was really good and way too short. I miss it. =(
Xeno

Postby Psycho Molos » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:01 pm

We already know rocklobster's perspective...."CN sucks just because they do. Everything they do, everything they are, they took off anime. Blah Blah Blah"
Psycho Molos

Postby emmatheveritas » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:37 pm

Daaahhh! Does "sponge" mean what I think it means? If it does, than God be praised to the fullest extent if that show goes away!
But I think that though I haven't seen it, Cardcaptors, like the anime of Cardcaptor Sakura, didn't last very long. I also watched Astro Boy on Netflix for a while and I think that it had waaaayyyy to few episodes! The ending was so sad, too! (Mainly because I really adored the cyborg Atlas and really didn't get enough action from him.)
I know there are other Tv shows that I watched that died too young but I can't remember which ones!
Hence, the longest signature on CAA!!
''I have fury! Finally, my entrance with drama!''-Fawful ''Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
''Why...whenever...fury...Fawful just wanted some kingdom conquering...but every time the mustaches come. Always in Fawful's way...alwaysalwaysalways''-Fawful Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
''Darkness cannot cover darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot cover hate; only love can.''-Martin Luther King Jr.
"SPACESHIP!!! SPACESHIP!!! SPACESHIP!!! SPACESHIP!!! SPACESHIP!!!"-Benny from The Lego Movie
"A closed door doesn't mean its a locked one"-Anais TAWO Gumball
emmatheveritas

Location: somewhere between my daydreams, the BeanBean Kingdom, and waiting for Heaven. =D

Postby AnimeGirl » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:47 am

Ah yes, it sucks when the good stuff disappear!

For me, one of those series was Cubix: Robots For Everyone. I can't even find DVDs of it, I loved that show. It was interesting, especially when they reached Season 2 and then...it was gone! Darn it, I wanted to know more about that solex stuff and why it made robots go beserk and blah blah blah....ahh, it was good while it lasted though...
AnimeGirl

Postby ClaecElric4God » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:11 pm

Spectacular Spiderman. I thought this show was well done, and had good humor. I mean, there are soooo many renditions of the Spiderman story, to get one that actually stands out is rare.
Also, Iron Man Armored Adventures. I loved, loved, loved seeing Iron Man from a teenage perspective, and it was just awesome in a lot of ways. They left so much unfinished, too. You get the impression that they might continue it, but it's been awhile now, and SPOILER: Highlight text to read: you can kind of assume a show is over when the hero's identity is revealed to the world.

ClaecElric4God

Postby dragonzatch » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:18 pm

Xeno wrote:Also Clone High was really good and way too short. I miss it. =(

Clone High might just be #1 on the "worst cliffhanger ever" list, at least for animation. I miss it too.

dragonzatch

Postby Never thirsty! » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:20 pm

Has anyone noticed on CN how when they play new episodes of shows that have two different stories in them such as Regular Show or That crappy remake of Teen Titans oh their we go Teen Titans the original was my favorite superhero series then they remade it and gave me this?! They disgraced the name of D.C. forever! anyway (I went off on a tangent there sorry!) has anyone noticed how only half of the episode is new the other half is just a replay of an older episode. back when we had the stuff like Dexter's Lab, PPG and such both episodes were new now they're slackin' I hate it soooooooooooooo much! :(
Never thirsty!

Postby GeneD » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:03 am

I totally second Danny Phantom, although I don't think I even saw all of the last season, and Spectacular Spiderman. I really miss The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes too, I haven't seen the replacement show Avengers Assemble, but haven't really heard good things about it.
GeneD

Postby TheAlbinoMoose » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:42 pm

Haha hey I like "sponge"! The newer episodes are getting worse and worse, but it was a good show at first. I think it's better to cut a show short than to let it live long enough to become... pathetic. Like... sponge... :(

There was a Fire Emblem anime that got cancelled right when things were getting interesting. :( It didn't kick off very well, I guess.

I loved Dexter's Lab!!!!!!!!! ^^
Do you see this gorgeous creature?
That graceful profile. Those striking eyes. Behold the albino moose.
A wise man once said, "you can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose. But you can't pick your friend's nose."
TheAlbinoMoose

Postby LastLfan » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:05 pm

New sponge might prove itself if they make more "plankton's pet" and less "little yellow book" I mean, sure plankton's pet isn't perfect but it felt like a real episode, the only time spongebob cried was like a single tear of happiness and even i was going "awwwwww" so ya, more episodes like that please. All of a sudden i really miss el tigre
LastLfan

Postby Crossfire » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:44 pm

Not that it died "young", but a show that comes to mind is Transformers Animated. They had some really cool stuff planned for Season 4... but at least it ended on a high note with many excellent episodes.
Crossfire

Next

Return to General Entertainment