Star Trek: Into Darkness

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Star Trek: Into Darkness

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:21 am

They just released the first trailer for the Star Trek sequel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diP-o_JxysA

's gonna be good, you guys.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Re: Star Trek: Into Darkness

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:57 am

Looking awesome. I am just wondering who that villain is? He looks BA
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Crossfire » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:39 am

I've heard speculation that he's going to be Khan, but I don't believe it.
Crossfire

Postby Nate » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:18 am

So is this one actually going to be Star Trek or is it going to be Generic Sci-Fi Movie That Uses Star Trek Names For Characters II?
Nate

Postby Neane » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:38 am

Nate wrote:So is this one actually going to be Star Trek or is it going to be Generic Sci-Fi Movie That Uses Star Trek Names For Characters II?

The second one.
Neane

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:19 pm

Crossfire wrote:I've heard speculation that he's going to be Khan, but I don't believe it.

How about Gary Mitchell or Garth of Izar?
Roy Mustang

Postby Nate » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:19 pm

Neane wrote:The second one.

Booooooo.

I'll still watch it and it'll probably still be pretty good, the first one was pretty good, but can we please have a real Star Trek movie again? I mean Nemesis wasn't great but it was Star Trek at least instead of a taking a random science fiction story and doing search and replace of the main character's name with "Kirk."
Nate

Postby goldenspines » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:51 pm

The villain is played by Benedict Cumberbatch. *A* Not even the amount of lens flares can stop my excitement. [/fangirl]

Either way, I am excited so see what they do with this movie.
goldenspines

Postby Neane » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:53 pm

goldenspines wrote: [/fangirl]

Wait a second, I thought you were a boy..
Neane

Postby Count Zero » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:54 pm

This movie looks way way to exciting to be Star Terk. Where are the boring political talks? The techno-babel? I dunno about this..
Count Zero

Postby armeck » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:36 pm

I saw an Imax exclusive preview of it today. it looks really great!
armeck

Postby armeck » Sat May 18, 2013 10:21 pm

I saw it day before yesterday. spectacular movie!
armeck

Postby mechana2015 » Sun May 19, 2013 2:14 am

Saw IMAX 3D today. Great movie.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Yuki-Anne » Tue May 21, 2013 6:44 am

It was AWESOME. I was a happy fan.
Yuki-Anne

Postby Nate » Thu May 23, 2013 3:04 pm

My theater doesn't have it yet. Guess I'll have to wait longer to be blinded by lens flares.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Ante Bellum » Thu May 23, 2013 3:55 pm

It's ten dollars I'm never getting back for a movie that I found mildly enjoyable for a couple hours and pretty mediocre ever since. At this point, I doubt I'm going to see any more new Star Trek movies.
Ante Bellum

Postby Xeno » Thu May 23, 2013 8:03 pm

I enjoyed it. But I'm also a really big Trekkie.
Xeno

Postby Yuki-Anne » Thu May 30, 2013 9:52 am

Nate wrote:My theater doesn't have it yet. Guess I'll have to wait longer to be blinded by lens flares.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I only noticed lens flare twice.
Yuki-Anne

Postby Lynna » Thu May 30, 2013 4:21 pm

I saw it last Saturday. I really liked it ^_^ I didn't find it as good as the last one though. As a Sherlock fan, I was really interested to see Benedict Cumberbatch act a villain. He did a good job :)
Lynna

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri May 31, 2013 8:39 am

You know what would have been awesome?

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: When they open up the torpedo and find a man inside, it would have been so awesome if it was Martin Freeman.
Yuki-Anne

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Fri May 31, 2013 9:38 am

Yuki-Anne wrote:You know what would have been awesome?

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: When they open up the torpedo and find a man inside, it would have been so awesome if it was Martin Freeman.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: "I was so cold and I owe you so much."
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Nate » Fri May 31, 2013 2:20 pm

Lynna wrote:I was really interested to see Benedict Cumberbatch act a villain. He did a good job :)

I too, was really interested to see a pale-faced man cast as an Indian. I can't wait for the third Star Trek movie, where they cast Gilbert Gottfried as Geordi LaForge.

Nate

Postby MomentOfInertia » Fri May 31, 2013 3:24 pm

I think the degree people enjoy this movie is inversely proportional to haw seriously they take it.

Bad scifi aside, I think that most of the movie's writing problems stem from the fact that it is SPOILER: Highlight text to read: a 'Young Kirk' story instead of an 'Old Kirk' one. It completely shifts the perspectives of the characters, this is not the battle between the experienced command crew of the Enterprise against the out-of-time genius of Kahn. No little "hours seem like days" inside codes, no Lt. Savik to explain their brilliance to.

Both of the movies have fallen into what in the original timeline would have been prior to the original series. I kind of wish old Spock a said something like "Kahn, already? that's odd." Just to lampshade it a bit.

Now that I stop to consider, one of the other things that bugs me about the remakes is the lack of any discussion of ship positioning or maneuvering anywhere. This leaves the battles feeling flat, boring 'warp into range and shoot till somebody explodes' affairs; the suspense of seeing who can slip into firing position first. We also lose out on that "attack pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking" bit, which in my opinion was one of the better examples for intelligence and wisdom being separate qualities to appear in cinema.

Ah well, at least we got rid of Project Genesis and the whole reborn Spock plot. And may rest safe in the knowledge that we'll need at least one more movie before the space whales one. After all Kirk has to steal Doc Brown's time traveling Bird of Prey after he kills his son. :P

I don't think Cumberbatch would have been anywhere near as interesting a villain if people didn't already know who he was.

I don't know; I went into it with a popcorn frame of mind and came away quite entertained.

Stop making me think about this you're ruining it. :P
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Lynna » Fri May 31, 2013 4:57 pm

Nate wrote:
Lynna wrote:I was really interested to see Benedict Cumberbatch act a villain. He did a good job :)

I too, was really interested to see a pale-faced man cast as an Indian. I can't wait for the third Star Trek movie, where they cast Gilbert Gottfried as Geordi LaForge.

...Well, sorry for being a newb :P
Lynna

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri May 31, 2013 5:42 pm

MomentOfInertia wrote:I think the degree people enjoy this movie is inversely proportional to haw seriously they take it.

Bad scifi aside, I think that most of the movie's writing problems stem from the fact that it is SPOILER: Highlight text to read: a 'Young Kirk' story instead of an 'Old Kirk' one. It completely shifts the perspectives of the characters, this is not the battle between the experienced command crew of the Enterprise against the out-of-time genius of Kahn. No little "hours seem like days" inside codes, no Lt. Savik to explain their brilliance to.

Both of the movies have fallen into what in the original timeline would have been prior to the original series. I kind of wish old Spock a said something like "Kahn, already? that's odd." Just to lampshade it a bit.

Well, to be fair... SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Let's consider that they first found Khan in the original series; the movie itself is called "The Wrath of Khan" because it's his revenge ten or fifteen years later.

Also, they kind of explained why Khan might have been found earlier with a line about Admiral Marcus sending out exploratory teams as a result of the brewing war with the Klingons or something like that. Plus, if Marcus had access to the records and he wanted to enlist Khan's help, he probably had a pretty good idea where to look for the ship.

I think it's quite logical that Spock wouldn't show surprise at differences in the time line, considering that the destruction of Vulcan would be a huge deviation that would inevitably screw with everything.

As for the whole white guy playing an Indian thing, it's probably only slightly worse than having the same Indian played by a Mexican, as if we have no idea what the difference is. Granted, it would have been SO MUCH BETTER if they'd gotten Dev Patel. He would have been the BEST KHAN EVER.

All joking aside, though, a racially accurate Khan played by Sendhil Ramamurthy (Mohinder from Heroes) would have been pretty awesome.
Yuki-Anne

Postby Nate » Fri May 31, 2013 8:26 pm

Lynna wrote:...Well, sorry for being a newb :P

You are forgiven, my child. Your penance will be to watch three episodes of TOS Star Trek.

Yuki-Anne wrote:As for the whole white guy playing an Indian thing, it's probably only slightly worse than having the same Indian played by a Mexican, as if we have no idea what the difference is.

True but I feel like "Hey the original wasn't even completely accurate" isn't much of an excuse to go even further in the opposite direction. Just because you did something not quite right before doesn't give you license to do worse. If you're already driving on the wrong side of the road that doesn't mean you should go "Well since I'm already doing this, might as well drive twice the speed limit too!"

Nate

Postby Sammy Boy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:50 am

Saw it, loved it.

Have not really watched many Star Trek series or films (just Voyager and the recent films), and don't consider myself a fan of the franchise, but I think it's growing on me.
Sammy Boy

Postby drill » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:24 pm

I thought that this show was fairly good, but I think the original (Wrath of Khan) was by far better. Mostly I just thought that the movie went to fast paced, yes having fast paced moments are good, but too much of it, in my opinion, makes the movie one drawn out action film.
drill

Postby K. Ayato » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:46 pm

I'm a fan of the original Star Trek myself. Still, I can grasp that this is a reboot with a different approach and still enjoy it. I'll go as far as to say that this one was better than the one released back in 2009. Maybe there were a lot of technical issues, but that's not why I went to see the movie. I went for the action..
K. Ayato

Postby Will » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:55 pm

This was a good movie in its own right as a sci-fi action film. However it can't beat the original Wrath of Khan from 1982 which is one of my favorite Star Trek movies.
Will

Return to General Entertainment