My Little Pony Friendship is Magic General

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Re: My Little Pony Friendship is Magic General

Postby raider~joseph » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:46 pm

Ladies and gentleman...

Everything changes soon. At least thats my theory. Im not gonna shout out: "ITS THE END TIMES! ITS THE END TIMES!" Like a great many other bronies.

Bronies as a culture have had its fair share of triumphs and trials but I can't help feeling that tomorrow is going to be...significant. Even if its just a minor change something is gonna change...and here is hoping it involes an awesome villian at some point during the aftermath.

Sincerely, RaiderJoseph
raider~joseph

Postby Bio_Plus » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:59 am

raider~joseph wrote:Ladies and gentleman...

Everything changes soon. At least thats my theory. Im not gonna shout out: "ITS THE END TIMES! ITS THE END TIMES!" Like a great many other bronies.

Bronies as a culture have had its fair share of triumphs and trials but I can't help feeling that tomorrow is going to be...significant. Even if its just a minor change something is gonna change...and here is hoping it involes an awesome villian at some point during the aftermath.

Sincerely, RaiderJoseph

Will have to wait till S4 to see. :eyeroll:
Bio_Plus

Postby Broly Ultimatrix » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:22 pm

I wanted to be my first to put my thought on here from the new episode, which I've never really done for any episode of which I've only out my thoughts on one other. Anywhere here I go.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I geniuneley liked this episode. We got four(I believe I've never been able to keep count though) songs in one episode and Twilights sad song abotu half way through was my favorite. I know you all want to know my thoughts (I'm lying cause I'm the only one who cares about my opinion :P) about Alicorn Twilight and well I personally think at this point in time it doesn't matter. This paragraph is about this episode as a single episode and altogether I loved it. If I could compare this episode to anything I would compare it to the live action Deathnote. (I know hear me out) In the same way thet the live avtion two parter summed up the first part of the deathnote animated series and ended it in a slightly diffrent way that both perfectly worked with the origional story line but still felt like it's own and a complete story within itself. What I mean is you can watch both the live action and still get a good portion of the feel goods as you would had you watched the entire anime. In the same way this episode felt like it could have been drawn out to two episodes, and experienced in it's assumed awesomness, but as a single episode season fanale it was amazingly well done.

As far as Alicorn Twilight is concerned with the upcoming season I think making her an Alicorn has the same effect as when "Lesson Zero" gave all 6 of the Mane Six the option to write their letters on friendship. It opened the possibility of not needing to include twilight in every episode and made it possible to have episodes centered on not just diffrent characters but many diffrent plot possibilities at the same time. There are only so many friendship lessons one can teach. With Twilight becoming an Alicorn they opened a wide veriety of episode possibilities and with so many writters joining the staff I think we'll have a great time watching the next seasons assortment of episodes and I look foreward to it very much. Those are my two bits on the subject and I can't wait for season four. :)
Broly Ultimatrix

Postby Bio_Plus » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:30 pm

You know we value your input Brolly. We're Bronies, that's what we do. We love to hear what people think about FiM.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: *
Let's be honest here. This wasn't even an episode, this was a 20 minute toy commercial in every sense (albeit a high quality one.) If this episode was shipped with Twilycorn merchandise it would fit perfectly as a standalone episode. And I'm glad it was only one episode or else it would have been a 40 minute toy commercial with no substance.

The part about their switched cutie marks I enjoyed the most. There was very bad consequences to switching the cutie marks and it was technically done by the most powerful magic in Equestria and not a pony. And there were multiple conflicts within each pony. And it was truly their destinies that was changed. Each pony kept their talent and didn't loose it and also their sense of what they desired out of life. They were literally brainwashed and forced into a situation that went against their selves. This could have been such a great thing to explore.

Next, Alicorn is now canon. But I was still right!!! Princess and alicorn is the same thing! Pinkie said Twi looked like a Princess and she wasn't even wearing her tiara. If it wasn't for fan interference she would have become a Princess Pony! Now I have nothing against calling them alicorns, but Princess was canon first. HA!

And it turns out that everybody that was against Twilycorn and was worried about the episode had indeed reasons to be worried about. I will give them that a lot if their worries came true and makes future episodes very awkward. It seems Twilight will indeed move away from Ponyville and have duties of her own, it will be interesting to see how they handle this in future episodes. And if her friends bow every dang time they meet it's going to get really old, really fast. And I don't know how Meghan can say this won't chance her relationship with her friends if they were already treating her differently than they usually would by the end of the episode. I think this is a very valid concern.

And don't even get me started on the songs! None of them were near the quality of the previous songs and a lot of them were too Disney. And I don't like songs from Disney anymore.
Bio_Plus

Postby Zeldafan2 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:23 pm

This episode...

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Was ridiculously rushed. Both concepts were interesting (although, I didn't like the idea of Twilight as a Princess when I first heard about it, and I TOTALLY don't like the idea now, and the cutie mark switch was kinda fun), but it was all happening so fast, with no time for the episode to catch its breath. The songs were a bit too numerous, while some were kinda fun, others felt very forced, and or, were really campy. I noticed the Disney influence (particulairy in Celestia's song), but unlike Bio, I generally like Disney songs, so yeah.

However, all this episode did when it finished was bring more questions to the fore front. If Twilight's still gonna be a main character, how is she going to be incorporated into the show now that's she's royalty? As Bio said, is everyone gonna treat her like Princess Celestia now, or is there going to be some sort of plot twist where Twilight loses her royal status somehow? Or, potentially, is she going to be a local princess of Ponyville, so she can still hang out with her friends a lot. (Although, I'm seriously doubting that theory.)

Too many questions, with pretty much nothing anwsered. It wasn't exactly epic either, and for me was kind of a downer for this to be the season finale (especially since the mane event was spoiled months ago.)

Overall, this episode could have been really good if it was paced better, and if they toned down all the songs, but it was sadly not really as good as it should have been.
Zeldafan2

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:32 pm

Just started watching. It's not the super special awesome greatest thing ever, but it's fun. My favorite of the mane 6 is a tie between Pinkie Pie and Rainbow dash. Uptight Snootle is my second (third?) favorite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Broly Ultimatrix » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:43 pm

Uptight Snootie... you must mean Prince Blueblood :P Anyway as you watch the show and see more character development (minus a few more episodes) you might change your fav. Rainbow and Pinkie are generally everyones favorites at first. Mines Fluttershy.
Broly Ultimatrix

Postby Yuki-Anne » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:17 pm

Okay, here are my thoughts and responses to previous thoughts:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Okay, guys, I think it's a little too early to call Twilight leaving or staying in Ponyville, but I don't see them taking Twilight away from her friends. That.... just wouldn't make sense.
Also, this episode needed to be a two-parter. The pacing was way too rushed. Everything could have been built up so much better were it a two-parter. I mean, changing the very nature of her friends? That right there is SRS BZNS. It's disappointing, too, because the songs were just trying so darn hard.
I've seen quite a few bronies be like, "PRINCESS TWILIGHT IS THE WORST THING EVER" and I have to admit that I thought it was corny too at first, but you have to take a step back and think about who the REAL intended audience is. Yes, the producers of the show acknowledge their adult fans and try to throw little pieces of joy in there for them, but the target audience of the show is, in fact, little girls. I had to dig down deep and remember that, yeah, when I was the age this show targets, Princesses were THE COOLEST THING EVER. Every little girl wants to be a princess. So I'll submit that jumping the shark and turning Twilight into a princess is, in fact, a stroke of genius. I'm sure every little girl out there felt her heart soaring.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Zeldafan2 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:54 pm

Yuki-Anne wrote:Okay, here are my thoughts and responses to previous thoughts:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Okay, guys, I think it's a little too early to call Twilight leaving or staying in Ponyville, but I don't see them taking Twilight away from her friends. That.... just wouldn't make sense.
Also, this episode needed to be a two-parter. The pacing was way too rushed. Everything could have been built up so much better were it a two-parter. I mean, changing the very nature of her friends? That right there is SRS BZNS. It's disappointing, too, because the songs were just trying so darn hard.
I've seen quite a few bronies be like, "PRINCESS TWILIGHT IS THE WORST THING EVER" and I have to admit that I thought it was corny too at first, but you have to take a step back and think about who the REAL intended audience is. Yes, the producers of the show acknowledge their adult fans and try to throw little pieces of joy in there for them, but the target audience of the show is, in fact, little girls. I had to dig down deep and remember that, yeah, when I was the age this show targets, Princesses were THE COOLEST THING EVER. Every little girl wants to be a princess. So I'll submit that jumping the shark and turning Twilight into a princess is, in fact, a stroke of genius. I'm sure every little girl out there felt her heart soaring.

Honestly,

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Twilight becoming a princess didn't bother me because she was becoming a princess. It only bothered me because of the effect it might have on the plot (Which could be good, and could be bad.)

In addition, Meagan McCarthy has stated SPOILER: Highlight text to read: that this is going to be a three part story, contiuining in season 4. This could be very interesting indeed...
Zeldafan2

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:47 pm

Yuki-Anne wrote:Okay, here are my thoughts and responses to previous thoughts:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I've seen quite a few bronies be like, "PRINCESS TWILIGHT IS THE WORST THING EVER" and I have to admit that I thought it was corny too at first, but you have to take a step back and think about who the REAL intended audience is. Yes, the producers of the show acknowledge their adult fans and try to throw little pieces of joy in there for them, but the target audience of the show is, in fact, little girls. I had to dig down deep and remember that, yeah, when I was the age this show targets, Princesses were THE COOLEST THING EVER. Every little girl wants to be a princess. So I'll submit that jumping the shark and turning Twilight into a princess is, in fact, a stroke of genius. I'm sure every little girl out there felt her heart soaring.

Oh thank goodness a sane person exists in this fandom.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:55 am

I like musicals (Goofy Movie, Prince of Egypt, Avenue Q, South Park: The movie), I love animation, I've been into girly things before (Sailormoon, Marmalade Boy, Kodocha), but for some reason, I can't stomach the particularly musical episodes of this show. I saw the newest one, and it annoyed me. Not because of the WTFudgeOMgoodnessEMEuphamisms ending (I only just started, so I'm not to concerned with that at all), but just because everyone was singing. There's something about the combination that makes it hard for me to stomach.

The first few episodes, the only one who sings is Pinky Pie, and Twilight even comments about it. I was great with that. I tend to skip the songs that the other ponies sing, except winter wrap-up...

I know I've got a lot of catching up to do.

I wouldn't have gotten into this if it weren't for this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U0QDt8wiCs This is the animated part, but most of it is just an audio drama, like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7v-6TrdbUA . Hopefully Ocarinaplayer animates the rest of them, and then gets started on Dr. Whooves Adventures. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTQAPiC-1us

I prefer Assistant to Adventures, mostly because it's easier to listen to the non-main characters with new voices (Adventures makes Twilight a companion, Assistant makes Derpy the companion) and I like the Assistant doctor better, but I'm getting into adventures too, now. It's actually more like Doctor Who and less like MLP.

They're all incredible, btw. Ocarinaplayer's animated episodes are very high quality for fan works. Maybe not Bad Apple level, but when you combine that with the story that PierceSmulder has by the end, it's great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Bobtheduck

Postby Bio_Plus » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:23 am

Bobtheduck wrote:I like musicals (Goofy Movie, Prince of Egypt, Avenue Q, South Park: The movie), I love animation, I've been into girly things before (Sailormoon, Marmalade Boy, Kodocha), but for some reason, I can't stomach the particularly musical episodes of this show. I saw the newest one, and it annoyed me. Not because of the WTFudgeOMgoodnessEMEuphamisms ending (I only just started, so I'm not to concerned with that at all), but just because everyone was singing. There's something about the combination that makes it hard for me to stomach.

The first few episodes, the only one who sings is Pinky Pie, and Twilight even comments about it. I was great with that. I tend to skip the songs that the other ponies sing, except winter wrap-up...

I know I've got a lot of catching up to do.

I wouldn't have gotten into this if it weren't for this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U0QDt8wiCs This is the animated part, but most of it is just an audio drama, like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7v-6TrdbUA . Hopefully Ocarinaplayer animates the rest of them, and then gets started on Dr. Whooves Adventures. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTQAPiC-1us

I prefer Assistant to Adventures, mostly because it's easier to listen to the non-main characters with new voices (Adventures makes Twilight a companion, Assistant makes Derpy the companion) and I like the Assistant doctor better, but I'm getting into adventures too, now. It's actually more like Doctor Who and less like MLP.

They're all incredible, btw. Ocarinaplayer's animated episodes are very high quality for fan works. Maybe not Bad Apple level, but when you combine that with the story that PierceSmulder has by the end, it's great.

I thought you were referencing Doctor and Assistant when you said Uptight Snootle! :D Have you listened to the 3 part crossover, I thought it was really great and didn't much care for Adventures before that.
Have you heard of or seen the Phoenix Write crossover Tunrabout Storm? Also a great piece of fanwork.

Also, please don't judge the music and how it was used by the latest episode. It was the first time it was ever done like this and heavily commercial centered. I'm pretty sure you'll find that there's a lot of songs beside 'Winter wrap up' that you won't be skipping. ;)

----------------

Here's a very informative piece about Princess Twilight. http://mlpforums.com/blog/453/entry-256 ... -revision/
Bio_Plus

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:15 pm

The biggest revelation for me from that article is that Lauren Faust resigned. I didn't know that. I wonder how that will affect the show, particularly with the nods to the older periphery audience.

Also, I have now heard all of DW&A and DWA. Can't wait for them to do more. I'll check out the Phoenix Wright one.
Bobtheduck

Postby Bio_Plus » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:07 am

Lauren resigned at the start of season 2 so most of S2 and all of S3 is a good indication. Although the story editor Rob Renzetti left after S2 and I'm of my own personal opinion that the new story editor isn't doing all of his work. But that's only speculation and he may get better with season 4.
Bio_Plus

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:12 am

I think I've seen enough of the Mane six to know what I like, and I haven't really changed my opinion too much, though Rainbow Dash is a little lower than when I first started.

Twilight... She's the star. She can be a jerk sometimes. I don't like that she browbeat my pony Doctor... Even if that was fanfiction, haha! (joke) Really, though, I don't have a strong opinion on her. She's kind of like Hermione on Harry Potter. Sometimes she's fine, sometimes she's annoying.

That's really why I like Pinkie Pie. When everyone was planning that party for Apple Jack when they thought she won a bunch of races and brought prize money back to the town, the Mail pony got the "Surprise" yell by accident, and he was really happy because it was his birthday. Everyone else just ignored him, but Pinkie Pie gave him some cake. Granted, a friend like her in real life could get annoying. I actually knew someone who could never read the atmosphere and would just be loud and energetic regardless of how everyone else was feeling, but she wasn't nearly as nice as Pinkie Pie. I still would have been annoyed even if she had been nicer, but the fact she was acerbic made it worse. I'm can't actually friends with Pinkie Pie, though (given that she's not real), so I don't have the chance to get annoyed by her.

I'm just watching the episode where Fluttershy got assertiveness training... And the HULK MUSIC! Oh, MAN, that had me rolling. I don't have too much to say about her character, except it seems like she forgets she's a Pegasus half the time. Like in this episode, she's "blocked" by some ponies pulling a cart on a bridge. Hello, just fly over them! It's not the first time I've thought that.

I sort of like to think of Rainbow Dash as what Tomo from Azumanga Daioh wishes she could be, or rather what she THINKS she is. She's sort of like Tomo without all the suck. I hated Tomo a lot, because she was so overconfident and didn't realize how much she hurt friends. Rainbow Dash is a similar personality, but she genuinely cares about her friends, and she's a little overconfident, but most of her confidence is warranted. OK, so she hurts friends the same way sometimes, but she apologizes and gets over it.

I really don't care much for rarity. I hate the fashion world, particularly its segregating nature, and I don't like girls who are obsessed with their looks.

I think 15 years ago, if this show had been out then (and not that hideous G1-3 MLP) I would have liked Applejack the best. I always used to be into tomboys and outdoorsy girls. Now, she's still a cool character, but I just like laughing more, so I prefer Pinkie Pie.

I like Spike, but if adult dragons are all greedy and selfish, does that mean either Spike stays a baby or he becomes greedy and selfish? That sucks. I sure wouldn't want a life like that. I do know the thing in the water in episode 2 wasn't greedy... A bit vain, just like Rarity, but was it a dragon, or something else? EDIT: OK, so I saw another dragon centric episode, and it didn't seem like the dragons all had that mindless hoarding machine thing going on, but they WERE all jerks. The episode I was referring to, they said that Spike hoarding made him age more quickly, and it made it sound like the two things (aging and becoming selfish and more mindless) always happened together. I also remember this show is made for little girls, so... Yeah, they probably want to keep him a baby forever, anyhow.
Bobtheduck

Postby Bio_Plus » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:44 pm

Pinkie was also my favorite of the main 6 throughout season 2, but they really let me down with her in season 3. Rainbow Dash however stepped up to become my favorite during S3, there's no pony that stands out more through the season than her.
Of course, Scootaloo is best pony FOREVER.
Bio_Plus

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:52 pm

While I like the show, I don't want to call myself a brony, if only because I understand the target audience is little girls, and the creators really don't owe teen and older audiences anything, particularly male fans. I have to agree with Yuki-Anne. I almost didn't watch the show when I saw the whole controversy over Twilight, and that's why...

Granted, I've been upset about Harry Potter stuff, but while I wasn't exactly in the target audience (I was about to turn 15 when the first book came out) I was much closer to it than I am to MLP's target audience, and HP was made to grow up with its readers. I don't really see that with MLP. The audience won't age as time goes on. It will always be made for little girls, even if there's a generation 5 MLP. So, I find nothing wrong with liking the show as long as you remember it wasn't made for you. You have no right to demand anything of its story directions. I have no right. I don't really have a right to demand that certain logical decisions be made. I have no right to demand that internal rules be followed (though it's still funny to hear how inconsistent they can be with horse puns) I accept it for what it is and laugh at the parental bonuses and enjoy the characters. That's pretty much it.

EDIT: I actually think I figured something out... I REALLY like the creative fans. I mean, the ones who don't get TOO dark and sexual. MLP:FIM probably has some of the most creative fans of any fandom. What they lack in sheer number (vs something like Star Wars or Star Trek) they make up for in ratio of quality to crap. Just look at THIS! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV-OF9w ... Ew&index=5 she was such a good animator, she even got the attention of some of the stars. That's Tara Strong and... Um... I forgot his name, but I just call him Q. That's FREAKING Q doing the main character in that vid. That's how much talent is in this fandom. I think this can go toe to toe with the Touhou fandom.
Bobtheduck

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:14 pm

Wow... color me impressed.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby rocklobster » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:41 am

my two cents
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: From what Faust said, Twilight becoming an alicorn wasn't out of the realm of possibility. I don't think this ruins everything. Instead, it might add new dimensions. Does this automatically make Twilight a Mary Sue? hardly. You can have a character with unlimited power and still have an interesting character. Anyone heard of Superman or the Silver Surfer?
As for the episode. Yeah...I won't lie. This was poor writing. It was like they were shoving this new direction down our throats. There were so many different ways this could've worked better. She could've tried a new spell on herself. Celestia could've done it on her as "the next phase of her training". But this is so forced.
This is not like when Optimus Prime died way back in the only good Transformers movie. That wasn't forced because it respected the characters' legacies and the audience. But here? the only thing missing was Twilight going "Dear Princess Celestia. Today I learned Friendship means giving kids more things to pester their parents into buying." This insulted our intelligence and the characters.
So yeah, this episode sucked. Was it the worst thing ever? Hardly. Is this ruining the show? Let's see how Season 4 works out.

My review 2/6 cutie marks.
rocklobster

Postby goldenspines » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:27 pm

So I haven't been keeping up with the show, but I feel this video is related to the most recent discussion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYueXPYsWuA

Actually, after seeing Mech, Yuki, and Broly's posts, I kind of want to pick up this series again.
goldenspines

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:31 pm

I don't get it. What does that show have to do with the discussion? Because it's made for little girls?

Also, this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4hD31VTdsw

I think the "hater" stuff is kind of annoying, but the Lord of the Rings plot parody is great, as is the animation.
Bobtheduck

Postby rocklobster » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:09 am

One of my favorite things about this community is how imaginative it is. I've seen this video around that is a ponified version of the Law and Order theme song. I've never watched Law and Order (crime shows aren't my thing, except for Person of Interest), but I've always liked the theme song's beat.
click here
rocklobster

Postby goldenspines » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:43 am

Bobtheduck wrote:I don't get it. What does that show have to do with the discussion? Because it's made for little girls?

Also, this

I think the "hater" stuff is kind of annoying, but the Lord of the Rings plot parody is great, as is the animation.

Oh, well, okay. I didn't think the connection was that far detached, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. (maybe you haven't seen the most recent episode of MLP, you didn't watch the whole clip I linked, or it was too late at night to make the connection, etc.)

I posted the video in reference to the recent episode discussion (not the pony discussion in general, though the comparison can be made between a Precure anime and MLP, but that's for another day).
You are right, though, they are both shows with the target audience of younger girls, and they are both shows that has a main goal of selling awesome toys to their audience (it's all about money, folks, stop complaining and enjoy the show, or stop watching).

But that's not the connection I was referencing and I really hope you all aren't so jumpy to think I came in here to insult anyone with a post to the effect of "har har, you guyz are watching a little girls show like this magical girl show, duuur, what a bunch of losers."

In fact, I love the Precure show that I linked a clip of and after reading about the recent MLP episode, I was thinking, "OH HEY, I've seen a scene like this before in a series I know! I'll link it to show everyone that 'leveling up' is a pretty normal and awesome thing for a kid's series!"
Not to mention I like MLP as well, just haven't been religiously watching it.

Also, I'm wasn't comparing the whole shows as much as just the clips. I mean, the clip I linked is about when the main characters level up to their PRINCESS FORM by the power of happiness and FRIENDSHIP. Plus, I dunno, there were also FLYING UNICORNS and SPARKLING EVERYTHING involved.
goldenspines

Postby Broly Ultimatrix » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:58 am

To be honest Goldy ewhen I watched the clip, which was awesome and for some odd reason nostalgic though I tend to avoid magical girls shows, all I was thinking the entire time was
Pre Princess Celetia, "Evil has been spotted. Brgin power up sequence of the elements.
5 girls, "Hai Celestia-sama!"
colorful animation sequence.
Celestia, "Firte the orbital friendship canon Mach 1.Origional Discord, "I AM UNBEATABLE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"
5 girls, "The battle is one and we look adorable... mission accomplished."

:P or something along those lines. it actually resembles G1 mlp's primier episode much more so with how the Rainbow defeated the big bad villain and the older style animation of G1 added to the relation.
Broly Ultimatrix

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:57 pm

goldenspines wrote:
Bobtheduck wrote:I don't get it. What does that show have to do with the discussion? Because it's made for little girls?

Also, this

Oh, well, okay. I didn't think the connection was that far detached, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. (maybe you haven't seen the most recent episode of MLP, you didn't watch the whole clip I linked, or it was too late at night to make the connection, etc.)

I posted the video in reference to the recent episode discussion (not the pony discussion in general, though the comparison can be made between a Precure anime and MLP, but that's for another day).
You are right, though, they are both shows with the target audience of younger girls, and they are both shows that has a main goal of selling awesome toys to their audience (it's all about money, folks, stop complaining and enjoy the show, or stop watching).

But that's not the connection I was referencing and I really hope you all aren't so jumpy to think I came in here to insult anyone with a post to the effect of "har har, you guyz are watching a little girls show like this magical girl show, duuur, what a bunch of losers."

In fact, I love the Precure show that I linked a clip of and after reading about the recent MLP episode, I was thinking, "OH HEY, I've seen a scene like this before in a series I know! I'll link it to show everyone that 'leveling up' is a pretty normal and awesome thing for a kid's series!"
Not to mention I like MLP as well, just haven't been religiously watching it.

Also, I'm wasn't comparing the whole shows as much as just the clips. I mean, the clip I linked is about when the main characters level up to their PRINCESS FORM by the power of happiness and FRIENDSHIP. Plus, I dunno, there were also FLYING UNICORNS and SPARKLING EVERYTHING involved.

I think the clock is off for me here, but it says I posted that at 5 in the morning. I'm going to assume it was a couple hours off, and maybe I posted at 3 in the morning (I'll find out in a couple seconds) but, yeah, I just scanned the clip and it was very late (I THINK anyhow)

In any case, I scanned it and I apparently didn't catch the allicorn thing, just that it was a transformation sequence on a magical girl show. I saw those hundreds of times on Sailor Moon, and I generally tried to skip them because I always found them annoying. I had even wanted to make a "defluffed" version of Sailormoon (sort of like DBZ-Kai?) that would remove all but the plot relevant transformation sequences and remove the filler episodes, but I digress. Sorry I wasn't paying closer attention. It was hard to gauge your intent from the message.

Honestly, I am a bit jumpy about this because... Well, I don't post about it on facebook or anything, either. The only person I told in real life about this was my brother, and then not completely, and he simply changed the subject like he does whenever I talk about anything I'm interested in. I got enough crap from people when I watched Sailor Moon. It doesn't take much for someone's opinion of you to change drastically, I've discovered, and often for petty reasons.

EDIT: Apparently it was only about 10:00... Well then. Um... I guess I just scanned the video, like I said. Didn't feel like watching a henshin sequence all the way through.

For those who say "Well, people who change their opinions for reasons like that are just ____________", the thing is I bet you do it too. Maybe not over entertainment, but everyone does it. If I see someone smoking, my opinion of them drops about 5 points instantly. If that person is in ministry, that becomes more like 15 points. Rather small things can alter your perception of someone very easily.
Bobtheduck

Postby goldenspines » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:28 pm

@ Bob: Ah, that makes sense. Not liking transformation sequences is something I didn't consider (since I love them; they usually have the most beautiful animation), though I wish you had mentioned it sooner instead of giving me the impression you really didn't give a crap about my opinion or just missed the point entirely. XD;

In regards to your ideas on changing perceptions, you make some good points, but I'll be brief and say I can't agree. If someone's perception of you (or your perception of others) can change so quickly and easily, for the worse in this case, they must not be invested in caring about you nor you about them. So why bother interacting if neither party is interested? Because we want to make connections and friendships with people, despite their flaws.
Needless to say, if we spend our whole lives worrying about what others will think about us liking or disliking things, we will probably drown in worry.

tl;dr Friendships are tricky things, but once you make them, petty things shouldn't deter you from accepting your friends. But I've derailed this thread enough (PM me if you want to continue the discussion, Bob. I don't mind).

But to bring this full circle, MLP presents a lot of valuable lessons concerning friendship (hence the title), which is one of the many reasons I've held a high respect for the show since its beginning. You can still accept people even if you disagree or don't always share the same interests.
goldenspines

Postby rocklobster » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:03 am

OK, to keep this thread alive as we await season 4, I came up with a good idea: Headcanons! For those who don't know, headcanon is what you think about what hasn't been revealed on the show. Because these events haven't been confirmed by the show, I'm turning off the spoiler tabs.
Here's mine to start us off:
--Discord corrupted Luna, causing her to become Nightmare Moon. Who says he couldn't do his magic when he was in stone? He did say he could hear what people were saying. I'm thinking Luna would walk by his statue every once in a while, and then he'd whisper lies into her ear (think Satan in the garden of Eden).
--Scootaloo is adopted. Because we should have adopted ponies.
--Derpy has *insert mental handicap here*. Because we should have disabled ponies too.
OK, everyone, go!
rocklobster

Postby Broly Ultimatrix » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:54 am

--Magic -Sentient hair is a quality only Luna and Celestia poses (constantly) because they need to continuously channel a spell to move the sun and the moon when it's not shown in Equestrian air space to maintain balance for the rest of the world to, since it's obvious from Habsros’ map that Griffons and Dragons probably have their own continents. Since horns are made of the same stuff as hair it's within reason that the hair is the source of the basic moon and sun moving powers that the Princesses posses. Also the times when Twilight gets mad changing her eye color minor change in coat color and drastic change in the Physical properties of her mane support this as to suggest that when she losses touch with her magic for a moment it manifests in a unicorns mane. Hooves are also made of the same things as Hair and Horns which adds to the magic of the universe (the magic under the rules of mlp universe not the universes magic) showing how Trained Zebras can perform some magic through their hooves and also how Pegasi can effect clouds, it's in their genes and the power manifests through their hair, which if you haven't noticed covers their whole bodies and even their wings, cause guess what Keratin also composes feathers, There entire body is magical in a refined specific way, allowing for the effecting of the weather which as an Avian species simply makes sense. Unicorns, instead of having their entire bodies be a conduit for magical energy, channel it through hotspots, namely their horns and then their manes and tails, which allows for a build-up of previously, confined magical energy in a spot for sudden release for a specific purpose. Unlike Pegasi who constantly use their magical ability in a flat line, constant fashion, giving any magical ability used a chance to regenerate as its being used. The unicorns’ powers can be used up more quickly with larger, more extravagant and often more powerful results. So while they can do more with it they also only have a pool of magic to work with. I'm sure by now you're probably thinking, "what about earth ponies do they have magic do they not have magic is pinkie an exception?" well I'll touch that now. I believe they have everything needed to perform magic but no magic pool like the unicorns. Their magic is focused inward like how the Pegasis’ is focused outward. This is why they are generally stronger, faster and sturdier then the others. I also believe that with enough unicorn in their lineage, traces of magical power could build up, following the bloodline and manifest every couple generations, which is what I believe Pinkie Sense is. Well that's my two sense on Magic, come back next week and I'll tell you all about my view of the Sonic Rainboom from an Equestrian Physicists point of view.
Broly Ultimatrix

Postby Bio_Plus » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:23 am

I hate to be a downer on your headconon Broly, but Luna and Celestia's sentient hair theory doesn't make sense. Moving the sun and moon isn't a unique ability only Celestia and Luna posses and it's not their special talents. Any unicorn can move the sun and moon, it's what unicorns are there for, until Celestia and Luna created a monopoly on day and night.
And about Earth Pony magic. Earth Ponies are the only ponies able to grow food. Pegasi can't grow food, unicorns can't grow food and the Princesses can't grow food.

And Scootaloo adopted!? Hay no! Go look for another pony to be adopted, Scootaloo has her own parents!

My headconon? Putting your hoof Down takes place in the past before Twilight came to Ponyville.
Bio_Plus

Postby Broly Ultimatrix » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:58 am

My sentient hair theory is more like the Pegasi thing. Instead of Moving the sun Manually all the time using their horns Luna and Celestia channel a constant flow of magic through their manes. Otherwise after the sun has passed over Equestria some part of the world might get unmoving sun for the ~12 hours of day before the sun starts moving in the other direction for day back in Equestria. Also that would mean the sunrise and sunset swich horizons every night, sometimes rising in the east and other times in the west. Also Princess celestia doesn't "appear" to be using her horn when she's with the pony gang at Sugarcube corner on A Bird in the Hoof and I doubt she would just stop moving the sun in the middle of the day to hang out or perform royal duties. Either they constantly channel moving the sun and moon and move it faster in the morning and night to decrease the time one would label dawn and dusk or There are at least two possibly three Alicorn Princess Pairs all around the world and they hand the sun and moon off like a soccer ball but I don't think so, that's why it's my headcannon :P So I'm not saying only Luna and Celestia can move the sun just that their Sentient Manes are the means by which they do it.

Also I fully agree both that Scootaloo has great parents and Putting your hoof down predates Twilight.
Broly Ultimatrix

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment