Fixing American Comics.

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Fixing American Comics.

Postby Solid Ronin » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:29 pm

...In one minute.

*Warning* There is one profanity used in this clip but it is completely bleeped out.
Solid Ronin

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:22 pm

This guy should burst into Alan Moore's room and punch him in the face.

Not that I dislike Alan Moore's stuff that much, but a little too much of Moore can get a little irritating.
Yamamaya

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:29 pm

I love Watchmen, not really a fan of any other works by Moore. I've tried the first volume of Grant Morrison's The Invicibles. It had an interesting premise but I found the strong language to be unnecessary, the alternative lifestyles to be distracting and some of the violence and situations too intense (and seemingly just for shock value). Disappointing really.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:51 pm

Eh, I think that there isn't much to "fix" about American comics. I love the amount of diversity that is present.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Solid Ronin » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:56 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1448107) wrote:This guy should burst into Alan Moore's room and punch him in the face.

Not that I dislike Alan Moore's stuff that much, but a little too much of Moore can get a little irritating.

He already did, by saying "Whatever Happened to The Man of Steel" is not one of his favorite Superman stories.

I love Watchmen, not really a fan of any other works by Moore. I've tried the first volume of Grant Morrison's The Invicibles. It had an interesting premise but I found the strong language to be unnecessary, the alternative lifestyles to be distracting and some of the violence and situations too intense (and seemingly just for shock value). Disappointing really.

Never read Grant's original stories. Read All Star Superman. Or learn alot of Kirby DC and read Final Crisis. Or His and Mark Millar's Flash.
Solid Ronin

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:59 am

Anyone who liked what Grant Morrison had to say there should go read Animal Man #1-26 (probably collected in a few volumes). Everything he discusses in the video he does, sometimes very explicitly, during his run on that series. It is experimental and unusual, but the ending not only makes it all worth it, but shows how intentional seemingly random elements were.

I started to read beyond that and stopped, which brings up my personal problem with mainstream American comics. I like stories that begin and end. You simply can't tell someone they should "Go read Batman" the way you could recommend 20th Century Boys or Transmetropolitan. That isn't to say that I wouldn't recommend something like All Star Superman or Batman, Inc but it isn't the same. So many years of continuity, erased continuity, and competing writers have made the famous superheroes closer to myths than real characters. A given writer might have excellent characterization in a given story, but it doesn't have much impact on the concept of the character.
uc pseudonym

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:05 am

... I did not understand a word he said.
CrimsonRyu17

Return to General Entertainment