Doctor Who Fans?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby J.D3 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:54 am

Man, I'm totally out of whack with where everything is at with D.W at the moment!

Might need to invest in a couple of series to catch up a bit....
Mack: Did I hear God call me an idiot?
God: *shrugs* If the shoe fits, honey. Yes sir, if the shoe fits...
The Shack, William P. Young

J.D3

Postby J.D3 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:09 am

MomentOfInertia (post: 1556969) wrote:A little something to tide you all over until the new episodes turn up.

Dalek Relaxation Tapes for humans

...RE-LAX!

Yes!!! "You're tension has been EXTERMINATED!" XD
Mack: Did I hear God call me an idiot?
God: *shrugs* If the shoe fits, honey. Yes sir, if the shoe fits...
The Shack, William P. Young

J.D3

Postby Twister980 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:32 am

Asylum of the Dalek's premieres next Saturday. :3
I hope I'll be home from DragonCon in time to watch.
Image Image "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
Twister980

Postby K. Ayato » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:00 pm

One-word summary of Asylum of the Daleks: Wow.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Xeno » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:02 pm

K. Ayato (post: 1587253) wrote:One-word summary of Asylum of the Daleks: Wow.

Things got real meta at the end there.
Xeno

Postby Twister980 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:18 am

Asylum of the Daleks:

[spoiler] The whole Amy and Rory divorce thing seemed a little sudden. I know it was supposedly a few years since the Christmas that took place in 'The Doctor, the widow and the wardrobe.', but her reason for the divorce, and the modeling, I can see her being upset at not being able to have kids again, but seriously, why walk away from a man you obviously love so much? Otherwise, the episode was pretty boss. I loved the part where he sent the Self destruct Dalek, (What people have started calling the Derpy Dalak. "I just don't know what went wrong.) back into the room full of Daleks, and blew em up. [/spoiler]

edit: LOL, thanks for the "edit" Yuki. xD
Image Image "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
Twister980

Postby HetalianKatana4 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:45 pm

Heck yeah! *raises hand* Whovian right here! XD
"Even when a girl is as shy as a mouse, you still have to beware of the tiger within."- random Chinese proverb

My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BleachBlue04?feature=mhee

My FanFiction account:
https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4095232
HetalianKatana4

Location: Either in Narnia, Soul Society, or America...I'm indecisive :P

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:42 pm

Twister980 (post: 1587287) wrote:Asylum of the Daleks:

Fixed that for you.

[spoiler] The whole Amy and Rory divorce thing seemed a little sudden. I know it was supposedly a few years since the Christmas that took place in 'The Doctor, the widow and the wardrobe.', but her reason for the divorce, and the modeling, I can see her being upset at not being able to have kids again, but seriously, why walk away from a man you obviously love so much? Otherwise, the episode was pretty boss. I loved the part where he sent the Self destruct Dalek, (What people have started calling the Derpy Dalak. "I just don't know what went wrong.) back into the room full of Daleks, and blew em up. [/spoiler]

Agreed.

[spoiler]It was a completely worthless throw-away plot point. We know they love each other. It makes no sense in the narrative anymore to throw that away, so instead of being any kind of character development it just ended up being a cheap "subplot" with absolutely no tension because we already knew how it was going to end up anyway.

Otherwise, yay on the Daalek reset. I honestly thought they had milked the Daalek storyline dry, but they surprised me yet again.[/spoiler]
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby K. Ayato » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:54 pm

I don't remember anything regarding [spoiler] Amy being rendered sterile after giving birth to Melody (aka River)[/spoiler].

But, being a married woman myself, I can understand and relate a bit to her feelings in this episode. Plus Rory always seemed the more "Let's get married and settle down" type while Amy by comparison liked to flirt with danger if you will.

Personally, I thought her modeling career was the possible reason for the tension between them.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:08 pm

Maybe it took some time for her to realize.
Yuki-Anne

Postby GeneD » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:00 am

Yuki-Anne (post: 1587390) wrote:[spoiler]It was a completely worthless throw-away plot point. We know they love each other. It makes no sense in the narrative anymore to throw that away, so instead of being any kind of character development it just ended up being a cheap "subplot" with absolutely no tension because we already knew how it was going to end up anyway.[/spoiler]

That's a very good analysis of that subplot. [spoiler]It was rendered even more pointless with the Doctor giving up his special watch thing and then nothing happens to him anyway either. I think that in the end there just wasn't enough time to go anywhere with that particular plot, so nobody was shown to be even remotely in danger of becoming a dalek. Although one could argue that out of the three of them, the Doctor has the most love... although again, he probably has the most hate too. So that's something interesting to think about.

I am very curious to see how they are going to bring Jenna-Louise Coleman (Oswin) back because she's playing the companion once Amy and Rory leave. If she somehow survives as a dalek and the Doctor gets a dalek companion I think that could be amazing, but it's unlikely. Otherwise I would prefer if she's a different character. I liked Oswin, but she seems too similar to Amy to me. Fast talking, "spunky", clever... maybe it's just me. I think she might get on my nerves after a while.

I'm not pleased with the dalek reset, but I think it's more because I am tired of the "forget-retcon" trope that Moffat seems to like so much.

As for the daleks: I was a bit disappointed in the Asylum ones, they honestly didn't seem different from regular daleks. Besides Oswin none of them were acting out of character or more over the top murderous than usual, which would fit my definition of a crazy dalek. Okay maybe that one which blew itself up, but still. Steven Moffat seems to have a tendency of sometimes exaggerating the emotional impact an episode will have, like]has[/I] to be scary. Don't tell me it's gonna be scary/sad/happy etc, make it scary/sad/happy etc and I as the viewer will tell you that you nailed it. The only thing, if anything, I want to know before hand is that it will be awesome. /end mini-Moffat rant

I pretty much saw the Oswin = dalek thing coming.[/spoiler] Besides all the crit and nit-picking I honestly really enjoyed it, it definitely had the cinematic quality that was promised and it was very epic overall. My favourite part is the Doctor, just him being himself. Glad to have him back.

Lastly, did anyone else watch the short Pond Life series that aired in the week before episode 1?
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby K. Ayato » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:57 pm

I don't think the Doctor would have been affected, seeing [spoiler] all those converted into Daleks were HUMAN (including those skeletons they found in the Alaska), and the Doctor is NOT human[/spoiler]. Take it as you will, but don't let it ruin the whole thing for you.

K. Ayato

Postby Yuki-Anne » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:35 pm

On Jenna-Louise Coleman...

[spoiler]Checked her filmography on imdb. She's listed as "Clara Oswin" for the entire season, so yeah, I think they are bringing that character back.[/spoiler]
Yuki-Anne

Postby GeneD » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:05 am

[spoiler]Cool, I didn't know her character name had been released yet. I will be surprised if they bring her, specifically, back; changed into a dalek and exploding planet are some pretty formidable obstacles, but you never know, if this series has taught us anything it's that daleks are good at surviving impossible odds. To me the slight name difference suggests that she might have some soft of double though. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.[/spoiler]
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Postby K. Ayato » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:20 am

Yuki, [spoiler] it's been established that she's coming back in the Christmas special. No details on how, but she's coming back. [/spoiler]

K. Ayato

Postby Twister980 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:35 am

[spoiler] It'll be amazing to see how Moffat writes his way out of this past episode. [/spoiler]
Twister980

Postby airichan623 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:54 am

Twister980 (post: 1587853) wrote:[spoiler] It'll be amazing to see how Moffat writes his way out of this past episode. [/spoiler]

this.

As for me, there was a whole lot of "WHAAAAAAAT!!?!?...oh ok, that's not so bad then." in this episode.

What I wanted to happen was that the "crazy daleks" were actually emotional daleks who wanted to be good guys and the Doctor had to decide whether or not to trust them. THAT would have been interesting.

Also, I can't wait for Mr. Weasely...I mean Mr. Williams next episode.

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby SierraLea » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:28 pm

When someone called me weird recently, I told them that "Everyone's weird, just in different ways. Mine just happenes to be very visible." They told me I would love the Doctor Who show. How are those two things related?
"I tell you, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:37-40).
Exceptionally Ordinary
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else." P.T.Barnam
SierraLea

Postby ChristianKitsune » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:13 pm

I rather liked this episode... the Rory/Amy subplot had me nearly crying... both times.

And Onwin... all my cries. I'm so serious. Fantastic opening to this season.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby airichan623 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:24 am

SierraLea (post: 1587890) wrote:When someone called me weird recently, I told them that "Everyone's weird, just in different ways. Mine just happenes to be very visible." They told me I would love the Doctor Who show. How are those two things related?

In answer to your question, they are probably referring to the fact that the Doctor himself is a very quirky man, and really all of his companions are "weird" in some way--and that's part of what makes it awesome.

airichan623

Postby K. Ayato » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:07 pm

Just finished "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship".

[spoiler] I was surprised to see 2 familiar faces among the guest stars. I recognized Riddell as Dominic from V for Vendetta (Finch's partner) and Solomon is Argus Filch from the Harry Potter movies. I thought it was a lot of fun seeing Rory's dad thrown into the mix and seeing how awesome he becomes in the end. Oh, and let's not forget the 2001: A Space Odyssey shout out. In short, this was one awesome episode.[/spoiler]

Not sure what to expect for next week's episode, but being set in the wild west should give way to something clever for the Doctor.

K. Ayato

Postby GeneD » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:29 am

[spoiler]Riddell is also Lestrade in Moffat's other show Sherlock and it was awesome seeing him in this ep.

The only unfortunate bit is where Amy, Neffie and Riddell end up around a sleeping baby T-Rex without noticing it at all. O.o But whatever.

Rory's dad is the definition of bad*** normal and I love how they played up the shared mannerisms between father and son. BTW, apparently he's back in the 4th episode, yay. XD Also, awesome nursing skillz!

I need to watch it at least one more time though, since it's all one fantastic blur right now.[/spoiler] Incidentally, I've started watching the very first season of the First Doctor recently. I'm only watching one or two episodes a week though because the pacing isn't well suited to marathoning it.

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Postby Yuki-Anne » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:33 pm

Good episode. I liked it. It was pretty dark though, considering what the Doc did at the end... I mean, it's not like it wasn't just, but still...
Yuki-Anne

Postby johny1 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:06 am

I was a Great Sci-fi drama. i Watch Doctor Who from last 5 Seasons. currently I Watch It's Seventh Season Episodes online. Hope that the upcoming Season is also entertain us like previous one.
johny1

Postby airichan623 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:53 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1588751) wrote:Good episode. I liked it. It was pretty dark though, considering what the Doc did at the end... I mean, it's not like it wasn't just, but still...

Yeah, it was. Definitely emphasizes why the Doctor NEEDS companions.

Also, thoughts on Town called Mercy? Another instance of the Doctor getting really dark. Still it was a very interesting episode.

airichan623

Postby Twister980 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:50 am

I actually enjoyed the last few episodes, but some of Moffat's jokes are starting to seem a little forced. Like the one with the horse. But otherwise, it was a pretty good episode. I don't mind the Doctor being just a little more dark.
Twister980

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:51 am

It was an okay episode. No real surprises. Nothing new really. One thing: I was super happy to see Ben Browder as the sheriff. It made the dormant Stargate fan in me squee with joy.
Yuki-Anne

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:49 am

Thoughts on The Power of Three:

[spoiler]MEH. This was not a very good episode. From the corniness of the last line to the reused "one of the Doctor's hearts stops" subplot... not to mention, umm, hey, you blew up the ship but there were at least five other humans on board that you didn't even bother to check for a pulse! I thought the Doctor had never met someone who didn't matter... [/spoiler]
Yuki-Anne

Postby Twister980 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:01 am

[spoiler] The problem with that episode is there wasn't much thought going into the plot other then into the Doctor doesn't want to leave the Ponds side plot. So because the Side plot was more of the main plot, it ruined the main plot. [/spoiler]
Twister980

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:30 am

[spoiler]Precisely. They're definitely just warming up for getting rid of Amy and Rory. They obviously just wanted to do a "what if the Doctor stuck around for a while" sub-plot, but the problem is that they took the premise and made it kind of boring and flimsy.[/spoiler]
Yuki-Anne

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment