Rocking movies with rocky sequals

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Rocking movies with rocky sequals

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:10 pm

Any movies you loved but hated the sequals?

For this list, I'd have to put all of the Don Bleuth Cartoons...

All Dogs Go to Heaven
American Tale
Secret of Nimh
Land Before Time

The thing is, I know for sure that Secret of Nimh was based on a book which had no sequal and American Tale is an analogy that doesn't stretch to the other two movies... I don't believe Don worked on any of the sequals to these films, and they were all low quality and severely pandering. The absolute worst sequal to a Don Bleuth cartoon was Secret of Nimh... The reason being that the original was one of the most beautiful and detailed works of animation ever made, and the sequal had none of the detail, style, atmosphere, or plot of the original.

I know that Matrix is going to be brought up... So, here's the deal: Just say it short, don't go into details. About everything else, you can detail away. I don't want this thread to turn into an anti-"reloaded/revolutions" thread. So, yeah, I know I'm not a mod, but this thread has a purpose and that purpose is not Matrix bashing... Those who hate it have said why numerous times. Otherwise, I'd love to hear what other people think.

Hmm... Even though the original's not exactly on my favorites list, another horrible sequal was "The Santa Clause 2" I liked the first one when it came out. I can tolerate it now. The second one, however, was totally ruined... I think partly it was the shift from PG to G... They thought they had to dumb it down even further. So, yeah. Any additions. (remember if it's the matrix, just say "matrix" don't rant about it like I'm ranting about your ranting that hasn't happened yet.)

:grin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby cbwing0 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:23 pm

Before I begin, let me say that I liked all three Matrix films, although they are not my favorite movies. :P

Anyway, the worst sequels ever:

1.The Neverending Story 3-The first two were great (despite that new age garbage underlying the story), but I never got a chance to see the third one. However, the box are looks lame, and I've never heard anyone say that it is as good as the first two.

2.Mortal Kombat: Annihalation-The first one was an above average action film, with plently of good effects, humor, music (:lol: ), and fight sequences. Unfortunately, the sequel began with the death of Johnny Cage (the best character from the first movie), and it went downhill from there. Anyone who wasn't a rabid Mortal Kombat fan wouldn't have understood anything in the movie, or the relations between characters (the whole animality thing was especially lame). They also replaced Raiden with a much worse actor. On that not, if you haven't seen this movie and are curious enough to try to see it, I have to say, "I don't think so." ;)

I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them at the moment...
cbwing0

Postby SManBeyond » Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:22 am

Men in Black II was a horrible sequel, IMO. I didn't like the plot, I didn't laugh, and as critic Roger Ebert put it, "The special effects are good, but often pointless." Now I must confess that I haven't seen the first movie, but I am acquainted with the world of MIB, and my best friend, my siblings and (surprisingly) my aunt loved the first movie, so I think I will too.

I also had to see 102 Dalmatians when I was visiting my cousin, and that was also horrible. I won't lie: I did like the live action 101 Dalmatians, but there was absolutely no reason to make a sequel, especially one like this with a recycled plot and a particularly wrong message that "bad people can never change".

I'm tempted to mention Revolutions as the third part of the Matrix trilogy, but I did like the special effects. Also, I like the story a little more now that I understand the answers to my questions. Still, I wasn't that impressed.

There probably are more, but I'd have to think about it for a while...
"Love means to love that which is unlovable; or it is no virtue at all." G. K. Chesterton

Founder of S.T.R.A.W.B.E.R.R.Y. R.H.U.B.A.R.B. P.I.E.

[url=smanbeyond.blogspot.com]My Blog[/url]
SManBeyond

Postby ThaKladd » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:09 am

agree about dalmantines and MIB.

some other...

Left behind: tribulation force was not as god as nr 1.
Pokemon 2 was worse than nr. 1. :grin:
The sequels to Bloodsport was not as good as the first one.

hmm.. most sequels are not that bad compared to the first movie..
We in our foolishness thought we were wise
He played the fool and He opened our eyes
We in our weakness believed we were strong
He became helpless to show we were wrong
- Michael Card
ThaKladd

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:44 am

cbwing0 wrote:1.The Neverending Story 3-The first two were great (despite that new age garbage underlying the story), but I never got a chance to see the third one. However, the box are looks lame, and I've never heard anyone say that it is as good as the first two.

Neverending story 3 was a movie version of the TV show. The first movie was the only one that followed the story. First off, the first movie was German while the other two were american. Secondly, the other two weren't based on the book. I agree the third is the worst in the series.

Also, with Blood Sport, the first movie was based on a REAL HOAX whilst the second and third movies were probably based on imaginary hoaxes :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Bobtheduck

Postby cbwing0 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:50 am

Bobtheduck wrote:First off, the first movie was German while the other two were american.

Interesting...was it originally in German, and then dubbed for the U.S. release? If so, they did a good job.
cbwing0

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:18 pm

The original title is "Die Unendliche Geschichte" and a number of the actors were american or otherwise english speaking, but the movie was made in Germany and many of the lines were in German originally.

Well, what my brother said to me was that all of the fantasy setting scenes were in German, and the "bastian" scenes were in English... The movie is listed in IMDB as being made in "West Germany" because it was made while Germany was still two countries (one communist, one democratic.)

The scenes with the guy who has the bat and the guy who has the snail are obviously dubbed over.
Bobtheduck

Postby madphilb » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:17 pm

I have a rule breaker for the 2nd one didn't match up to the original.

Star Trek.... the Motion Pictures where better on the Even number movies while the Odd number ones where rather stinky (though at the time the original Star Trek movie came out it was pretty cool, looking back it ws rather lame).
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby Hitokiri » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:59 pm

any disney movie except Toy Story.

......Free Willy, umm...Star Wars: Episode 1, ummm...Lord of the Rings (lol Im kidding)

Thats all I could remember
Hitokiri

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:41 am

Yes, Disney has become the absolute -worst- about making bad sequels. For cripes' sake, guys, stop with the sequels...

The Star Wars prequels...ungh. (I know, they're not -sequels-, but they're still bad. XD)

I didn't like Matrix Reloaded. ¬_¬

MIB 2 was just...wrong. The first movie's great. The second is...meh.

The Land Before Time was a great movie, then they had to screw it up with 3423543 sequels. >___<
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby brantelg » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:54 pm

Two Words:
Superman
Batman
(Well, I liked Superman 2 and Batman 3 but the rest were dumb)
brantelg

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:46 am

I feel the need to add: I don't know that it was bad as much as it just didn't fit with the original, but

Nightmare on Elmstreet 3 (I've only seen 1, 3, and New Nightmare... (I actually saw 3 first and I laughed my head off, but after seeing 1, I realized it had really changed by that point)) I haven't seen most of them, but I heard that the rest of the movies were made popular by a cheeseball, wisecracking Freddy... He wasn't as cheeseball in the first movie as he was in 3... I guess whether you like it or not depends on which freddy you're used to. New nightmare's freddy was more like Elmstreet 1's freddy, and I just loved the concept. (as I said about Metal Gear Solid 2, Breaking the fourth wall is FUN! Thought they're not, really... Not exactly)

Oh, and "The Land Before Time" was originally also a Don Bleuth Film... I don't think he worked on the rest of them, though... (in case you haven't figured out, I'm a serious Don Bleuth fan.)
Bobtheduck

Postby JediSonic » Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:01 am

Disney is notorious for bad sequels.. in fact it KNOWS its notorious for them and when one comes out they sometimes dont even put it in theaters because they KNOW its soo bad!

Inspector Gadget
Jungle Book [actually I never saw this one but i heard it was really bad]
Little Mermaid
Cinderella [wasnt even a complete story, more like a 3-episode TV series put in a box]

Hmm.. I cant remember how much I liked the aladdin sequel and a few others. However, you will never find a disney sequel that matches its predecessor :thumb: ever.
JediSonic

Return to General Entertainment