Er- any suggestions?

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Er- any suggestions?

Postby blueraven » Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:39 pm

I'm not really sure where I shoud put this but if this doesn't belong here, sorries in advance.

I've finally talked my best friend into putting some of his poems up on a website. Personally, I feel they are just to good for him to keep them all to himself :sweat: Only problem is, I've never been good at coding nor making layouts but I'm trying my best since he asked. I've finished the main image for the layout but I'm stumped as to what I should do for the text areas as well as links. I did suggest an image map (moon, rose, "Tainted Love", and the two lines from one of his poems) but I'm a little hesitant on that. I don't want this to end up getting complated. Er- so I guess I'm asking if anyone has any suggestions on what I should do I'll greatly appresiate it. Just want this to be as perfect as possible for him hehe. Thankies
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Tell me not, in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream!
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
and things are not what they seem.
Life is real! Life is earnest!
And the grave is not its goal;
Dust thou art; to dust returnest,
Was not spoken of the soul."
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
blueraven

Postby andyroo » Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:34 pm

What you could do is have a list on the left side of your image (in the image). Read through the poems and find some topics that stick out to you and put that in the image as text. You could also add and about section on the main page for maybe contact information, the site's purpose, and so on. And if you wan't to get fancy, then put in a search engine so people can look up his poems more quickly (depends who's hosting the web site). If you are only going to do maybe 7 or 8 or less then instead of topics just list the titles, and a search engine wouldn't be needed.

When you go from the main site you will need a standard menu; preferably a side menu since that is the way it would be laid out in my first paragraph. For your site a graphic menu may be best. Then you could have a list of poems under one of your main topics for your visitors to choose from. You could have a back button embedded in your web page or make it the user's responsibility to hit the back button on their web browser. Have something on each page to tell them where they are. Like changing the colour of the current section that the user is at in the menu. Make sure everything is consistent. Be sure to put any copyright, contact information (if wish to), and modification date at the bottom of each page except the home page.

When you set up tables for the text areas make sure you have a side column, for the menu and maybe logo, and a main column (for the rest of the content). If you want to, you can add an extra column above the main column if you wish to add a graphic or extra menu for each page.

I hope this helps. I assumed alot of things in my explaination, so there may be some details that you may not wan't in or even details that I may have left out.
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Postby MyrrhLynn » Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:38 pm

I am a little confused... so is this the image that is going to be the background of the whole page or do you want something separate to pop up with the actual poem? Actually this image would make an awesome wallpaper! :grin:

As to using an image map, if you use Cute Map that should be fairly easy. (You can get a working trial version from downloads.com)

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby blueraven » Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:30 pm

I really only know what I've been able to teach myself and thus giving everything name "-thingy" :sweat: I've only read about 20 of his poems or so but he writes constantly and has been writing for a long time and we both agreed that it would be much easier to divide by topics. I think I pretty much understood what you are saying, heh just wish I actually knew how to do all that :hits_self

Um, I'm thinking right now popups wouldn't be a good idea, through I was thinking of that at first ;) All I have to work with is PSP7 but I think I've done image mapping with it before. Other then that I get out pen and paper and work it all out :drool:

Thank you both :hug:
blueraven

Postby SMoonEmpress » Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:35 pm

Well, I have a bit of a different suggestion...
I suggest putting the image in a table and centering it. Maybe make the background black or that rose color.
Then chop the picture up and put it together in another table, making the moon area an IFrame. Then maybe put the menu running across the top of the picture...
Just an idea. Here's a pic to better explain what I'm thinking of...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Watashi wa... Jikyuu no tobira wo mamoru meikai no bannin... Sailor Pluto!"
My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will never be shaken.
(Psalm 62:1-2)

[Fairy-dust.net]
SMoonEmpress

Postby blueraven » Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:41 pm

Hey! I can actually do that...I think hehe Only problem is because of the size of most of his poems they wouldn't fit to nicely in a frame of that size but well, thats not really a problem now is it *doie* Gah! I don't know what to do, hopefully Michael will log on soon since this is gunna be his site soon :jump: Thanks muchies
blueraven

Return to Computing and Links