Two tech questions

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Two tech questions

Postby Never thirsty! » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:27 pm

1. has anyone tried html5 and if so how is the coding different from html which is the language I'm currently learning.

2. So have you seen a techie youtube video where someone shows you how to get/delete something on your computer and it only shows their desktop is that a special camera or a computer add-on/app or both because I would like to start filming walkthroughs with internet and disc games and uploading them to youtube as well as maybe some programming tutorials because there's only one classic gamer nerd who can compete with me and that is the guy responsible for my two favorite Christian rap songs of all time(Nintendo Thumb and Nerd Out) the one and only undisputed nintendo nerd king runner-up of the world Heath McNease!(or is it McNeese?)
Never thirsty!

Re: Two tech questions

Postby drill » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:31 pm

First, I don't know about your HTML5 issues, but I know that they are using a program to screen capture the video you are seeing, it is not a camera (at least in most cases). Here is a list of some of them. http://lifehacker.com/5839047/five-best ... ding-tools
drill

Postby Masaru » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:32 pm

If you're using any sort of current website to learn HTML, it's probably already HTML5 anyhow. It's structured mostly the same but I think some of the tags change in 5.

Also for a screen recording app, OBS is pretty good. It's mostly for streaming but I believe it can record as well. https://obsproject.com/
Masaru

Postby Never thirsty! » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:15 pm

update: found an html5 course on the site I was using to learn html should I continue learning html the move to html5 or just dive right into html5?
Never thirsty!

Postby drill » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:29 pm

As Masaru already said, what you were learning was probably already HTML5, but if you found out you weren't, you shouldn't bother with learning the original HTML and just dive right into HTML5.
drill

Postby Sammy Boy » Wed May 07, 2014 4:23 am

1. It's likely that most of the HTML you are learning has been around since HTML 4.1. If you are learning to use the CANVAS tag and/or other multimedia type tags though, they are probably HTML5.

One of the reasons HTML5 was brought in was to standardise multimedia experiences across the web, and remove the need for Flash, since it has accessibility issues.

If you want to find out more about the differences as well as an introduction and see / try example code, check out http://www.w3schools.com

Be aware that since different browsers currently still have different levels of native support for HTML5, code it with caution and keep in mind workarounds that would present a minimum functional experience no matter which browser you use - don't make core functions such as navigation or linking only useable IF the user has a browser with full native HTML5 support. For doing nice styles or controlling page behaviour, it's still important to use a combination of Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) and Javascript, or a popular Javascript libraries with standard functions you can use such as jquery.

(Tip: you can search for terms like "progressive enhancement" and "graceful degradation" to learn more).

2. Regarding desktop action recording software, you can try out Cam Studio as it's free, but when installing, take care that you customise the installation options as it will install other utility programs, which, while not malware, you may not want on your system.
Sammy Boy

Return to Computing and Links