Good Tablet PCs?

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Good Tablet PCs?

Postby Mullet Death » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:05 pm

I'm looking to buy a tablet to replace my current laptop. My laptop is outdated and slow and I don't have the technical know-how to get the most out of it, so I'd like something to replace it.

I tend to think that most modern e-readers like the Kindle Fire HD or Nook HD would serve most of my purposes, but they fall short in a lot of respects if I want to basically replace this laptop. I really only need a device with a good e-reading interface, Hulu+ and Crunchyroll, and a basic web browser with or without flash support 90% of the time. I also like the feel and convenience of a small tablet.

But what if I want to, say, play the Pokemon TCG online or LoL or LOTRO? Or what if I need Microsoft Office for something? I feel like most tablets within a reasonable price range seem to fail in anything that isn't basic music, video app, or text-based browser stuff, but I sometimes need that stuff. I'm not asking to play Crysis on high settings, but I'd like the convenience of an e-reader with some of the gaming and other functions of a desktop replacement.

So are there any tablets out there that could pretty much serve my needs without costing almost as much a laptop or desktop that you know? Any suggestions?

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Re: Good Tablet PCs?

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:27 pm

Not... really. Unless LOTRO or LoL run in an App, there are pretty much no tablets that will run them on the market currently, since ost mid to upper end games require a functional PC operating system and graphics cards to run properly (or at least LoL does). LoL would run terribly on a tablet anyhow since the controls require a clicking interface and a keyboard to do anything resembling decent.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Re: Good Tablet PCs?

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:47 pm

What Mech said. For tablets I don't know much but I've heard good things about the ... Nexus 7 I think it was. And then buy yourself a mid to low range tower.

Unless you're talking about those laptops with the touchscreens, in which case, those are pretty expensive.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Return to Computing and Links