Downloads slowing to a halt. Am I going to face this problem all over Japan?

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Downloads slowing to a halt. Am I going to face this problem all over Japan?

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:31 am

Ever since I came to Japan, I've used 3 internet connections. I've noticed the following on all 3:

1. Windows update (on my Wife's laptop, for those who remember my previous issue), Firefox, Internet Explorer, and a couple other downloads don't work. I can't really watch videos on Youtube unless I set to download, then pause and unpause my download about once every 3 or 4 seconds. As there appears to be no such workaround for updates, I can't update anything (or sync my anki decks)
2. As I said, on sites that allow pausing and resuming downloads (youtube via download helper does) that seems to kickstart the download again. Not all sites allow for this, however.
3. I can download files off PSN, hold great conversations on Skype, watch Hulu (it's in Japan now... No anime, but that's for another thread), and update Steam... Is there just something different in the way PSN and Steam work (I'm guessing Skype and Hulu don't actually DOWNLOAD anything) that allows for this?

So you know, there are 3 different machines being used. Toshiba Satelite dual core no 3d card 2 gigs of ram windows 7 basic on one laptop doing Steam, Skype, firefox, etc; Fujitsu whose specs I'm not sure of for the other (my wife's) laptop running Windows Vista Ultimate or whatever it's called doing Internet explorer, windows updates; and the PS3 running PSN downloads and Hulu.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:06 am

From my unprofessional knowledge the only thing I can point out is that steam (and most likely PSN) use a protocol similar to torrenting for DL's and Skype uses VOIP protocols, so it could be something in the actual downloading process, or a DL related malware issue. Have you asked anyone that's in japan on a different computer if they're having similar issues?

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Hiryu » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:25 am

I would chalk this up to a wonky connection. However,when you say you've used 3 different connections, do you mean that you go to 3 separate locations, like an internet cafe, macdonalds, etc. or are these different connections located in the same place, like a hotel or something?

For websites that allow pause/resume downloads, once you restart the download, it downloads without any more trouble during the process?

I agree with mechana, asking someone else about the internet would be a good clue.
Hiryu

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:47 pm

Well, I'm ACCESSING them from the same place, but I'm 99% sure they're not each from the place I'm staying. At the very least, there are 2 unique locations.

And websites that allow me to pause/resume downloads require that I do this repeatedly. I pause and resume until the download is finished. Some programs (windows update, anki, my virus scanner) don't give you the option of pausing downloads, only of cancelling them.

I'll have to see about asking someone else about the internet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Kaori » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:57 am

I don't have the technical knowledge to help you with your problem, but I've never faced the issue you describe either in Tokyo or my present location, so I can at least confirm that it is not a Japan-wide phenomenon.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby blkmage » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:32 am

I've had this happen occasionally (both over the last few years and the last few weeks) and I've never figured out why.
blkmage

Postby Hiryu » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:31 am

Hmm, I see. Again, asking someone if they're experiencing the same problems as you would be a great idea. Let us know what happens.

When was the last time you cleared your cache, cookies, and other temporary internet files?
Hiryu

Return to Computing and Links